COUNTDOWN to November 2010 Election

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Foxfyre, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,366
    Yesterday was the last of the 2010 primaries and the field of candidates for governor, the U.S. House, and the U.S. Senate has been decided. On November 2, 47 days from this OP, we will go to the polls for possibily one of the most historic elections in U.S. history. Certainly it is seen by many Americans as one of the more important.

With the President experiencing steadily decreasing approval ratings and Congress and the GOP and Democrats individually earning much lower numbers, this election may be the first in a long time in which issues and values, as opposed to personalities and political parties, will determine the winners.

39 governor seats are up for grabs--20 currently held by Democrats; 19 currently held by Republicans.

In the Senate, the Republicans need to win 10 additional seats to take over the majority currently held by the Democrats.

In the House, the Republicans need to win 40 additional seats to take over the majority currently held by the Democrats.

Let's discuss polls, trends, status, prospects, hopes, and fears re this election cycle here. NOTE: Certainly most of us will be taking sides, but if we could keep personal insults, trollism, and ignorant platitudes to a minimum, that would be much appreciated.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173
    :popcorn:

3. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,366
    One phenomenon I've seen already in this election cycle is the love/hate relationship developing between the GOP and the Tea Partiers. The GOP philosophically know they have to have the Tea Party vote to win, but we have seen increasing hostility toward 'Tea Party candidates' who have opposed and have now won over the establishment candidate favored by the party. And yet the Tea Party choices have won again and again, the latest being O'Donnell winning over Castle yesterday in Delaware.

It was interesting seeing the GOP party 'bosses' and 'talking heads' denigrating Castle again and again and expounding that she was unelectable in the general election--she will dash the GOP's chances to take control--even as the talk show denizens such as Limbaugh and Hannity defended and promoted her.

That is one of many races that it will be interesting to watch.

4. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    I don't think the Senate was ever a real possibility for the Republicans. I think that was a way over-the-top expectation in my opinion. It's virtually impossible for them to take the Senate back. However they could make it close again and that's enough of a win for me. Just get the Senate close again and you've won. The House is a real possibility for the Republicans though. Either way the Republicans will make some gains and that's good enough for me.

The Republicans are in the midst of a Revolution in the Party to weed out the phony Neocon Check-Pant establishment. This Revolution could hurt them initially in November but it is essential for the overall future survival of the Party. People are just so sick of them being the Democrat-Light Party. So the Republicans will likely make some modest gains with real Conservatives as opposed to making massive gains with more phony Check-Pant Republicans. Personally i prefer these modest gains with real Conservatives. I guess we'll see though. Make 2010 count America.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  5. Jeremy

Jeremy TRANSFER!!!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
  6. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    I think the Tparty loathes the Republicans a bit more than they do the Democrats. The Democrats are the adversary they can deal with, the Republicans are the sell out who has hurt them badly.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  7. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Now that Christine O’Donnell has won the GOP Senate primary in Delaware, Democrats will definitely retain Joe Biden’s old Senate seat. It’s not because O’Donnell is too conservative — it’s because of her numerous and serious personal issues.

(For those seeking specifics, there are plenty.

•Her lawsuit against ISI for “mental anguish” is exhibit A. It even contains an apparent lie about her seeking a Master’s Degree at Princeton.
    •Exhibit B is her lies about having a college degree all these years — and no, she didn’t simply finish paying loans, as she implies. People who take student loans use them to pay their schools, and they get their degrees. She did not until 20 years later.
    •Exhibit C is the fact that she has no apparent income, then she admitted to John McCormack that she has concealed income by leaving it off her financial disclosures.
    •Exhibit D is the fact that she appears to be paying her personal rent with her campaign money, which is completely illegal.
    •Exhibit E is the question about whether O’Donnell’s home was foreclosed. These three points suggest we have a grifter who understands conservative rhetoric.
    •Exhibit F is her false claims that she “tied” or “beat” Joe Biden in two counties in 2008.
    •Exhibit G is her campaign’s assertion that Scott Rasmussen is a tool of Mike Castle’s campaign.
    •Exhibit H is her campaign’s deliberate stoking of rumors that Mike Castle would switch parties or has cut a deal with the Biden family to hand the seat over to Beau Biden in four years.
    •Exhibit I is her former campaign staff’s video accusing Mike Castle (baselessly) of a homosexual affair, followed by O’Donnell calling him “unmanly.”
    •Exhibit J is her paranoia over who’s hiding in the bushes and vandalizing her house.
    •Exhibit K…well, you get the picture.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: Democrats will keep Delaware seat, but look at the bright side | Washington Examiner

8. LibocalypseNow

LibocalypseNow Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,357
    I think Less really is More in this case. The establishment Check-pant Republicans aren't going to fully support all these real Conservative candidates therefore less elections will likely be won by Republicans in November. People will just have to lower their expectations for coming elections. However the Republicans who do win will be real Conservatives as opposed to the usual phony Check-Pants. For me that's an incredible victory. So there will be less Republicans winning than previously thought but there will be more real Conservatives in our Congress. This is definitely good enough for me. Less really is More in this case.

9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    them grapes was sour anyway.

[​IMG]

10. Wry Catcher

Wry Catcher Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,155
    It's funny that you would disparage platitudes given the entire 'platform' of the Tea Party (as near as I have discerned) is one great big platitude.
    Cut taxes, cut government is easy to say, easy to rally the masses using populist rhetoric without any convincing argument of how a member of Congress, or even a coaliton of a dozen or so, might actually manage to cut taxes and shrink government.
    When will Palin or Armey or Limbaugh - the leaders of this 'movement' - offer a plan. How will budget cuts for the wealthiest Americans impact the public debt? How many jobs will a 3% cut in taxes produce when a person earning $200,000/year has an extra $6,000 per year?
    If elected, what can Backbenchers do? Hold more Michelle Bachman press conferences? Or run and hide from the media as we have seen from Sharon Angel?
    The Tea Party is less a movement then a mob; groups of enraged people challenging the establishment -damn, it would make a great movie:

Dick Armey as the Black Knight, or maybe Newt Gingrich; written by Michael Palin, oh my, are they related?

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhRUe-gz690]YouTube - Black Knight[/ame]