CDZ Could the USA defeat Iran?

Thats your answer Iraq military was a joke?

Listen kiddie that joke of an army fought your " superior " Iran miltary in a war that lasted 8 years.

Yes, back when the Iraq military wasn't a joke. Not only did they lose that war, but scholars will note that they lost most of their military strength and power.

The Iraqi military was a shell of its former self in 2003. Absolutely pathetic.

Kid you dont know who you are dealing with

Right, says the person who never studied military science.

I lived what you studied..

Again the Iraq / Iran war lasted 8 years...can you comprehend that?

I have a question. If Iran minds it's own business, why would we want to defeat Iran?

First off, the US would not invade Iran because they would lose. Iran is however allied closely with Russia, and is a geopolitical opponent of Saudi Arabia. They are not minding their own business right now. They are meddling in American special interests in the Middle East.

Again the Iraq / Iran war lasted 8 years...can you comprehend that?

Yes, I can comprehend the fact that they lost that war miserably, even with support and funding from the CIA and other western agencies.

Did you know that Iraq was on the defensive for much of that war? Did you also know that the Iraqi military became a shell of its former self after that war?

Military invasion. No usage of tactical nuclear weapons in this scenario.

I have yet to hear a good argument that the US could militarily defeat Iran. Iran has half a million active duty personnel, with a sizable portion modernized. A large reserve is available, and there are many powerful tribes within Iran that would ally with the ruling government.

Sure, there is air and naval superiority. Bombardment is costly in both money, equipment, and life. As we saw in the recent conflict between Saudi Arabia and Yemen, excessive air and naval power had the ferocity of gnats.

The question un-asked is ... Why on Earth would the US WANT to invade Iran? Why would anyone?

With the election of Trump, we will see the re- imposition of the very effective economic sanctions on Iran which kept the Iranians from developing nuclear weapons for nearly 30 years. Nuclear weapons that Obama was very keen to see Iran acquire on his watch.

It's important to remember that while the left was screeching that the US wanted war with Iran, no serving US military leader was advocating any such thing. Iran, the chief financier of global terror, need only be isolated economically to be castrated. No need to put a single boot on the ground.
How will Trump convince the other parties to the nuclear deal to re-impose the sanctions?

Actually my signature picture is from the Iraq-Iran war, in case any of you were interested.

Hopefully, we were to invade Iran, the US military's mission and constraints concerning how to accomplish that mission will not be defined by the OP.
I have a question. If Iran minds it's own business, why would we want to defeat Iran?
First, the post of mind you quoted should had been written "Hopefully, were we to invade Iran .........". My mistake in typing.

Now to answer your question. I don't know why! A total invasion probably would not be wise. Maybe at some point a limited strike might be necessary to take out facilities that are working on nukes.

Two posts in a row that do not answer the question.

I do not care about "The US is winning a war without fighting" or "Why would the US actually want to invade Iran?" My question is whether the US could win a war with Iran involving physical combat.

By the way, I know it is not in the United States interests to wage war with Iran. This thread is directed towards those that believe the US military is invincible, and constantly make stupid comments on the internet about kicking their asses.

Then why not ask a more relevant question...

Like who would win this fight?

batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice_bb788b6f.jpg

You cannot use nuclear weapons in an offensive, because this would fry your own troops.

So obviously an assault would be required to be conventional only.

Regarding the general question as to whether the USA is manned to conduct an offensive war, the answer is clear: it is not.

Only the Russians, the Chinese, and the N.Koreans currently have a sufficient military force to conduct offensive operations.

What is your next foolish question then ??
If you use nukes, then you don't send in troops....until the radiation goes back down.
Correct -- and their half lives are several decades.

Nukes are defensive weapons, which most civilians do not comprehend.

Only the Russians, the Chinese, and the N.Koreans currently have a sufficient military force to conduct offensive operations.

What is your next foolish question then ??

Okay. What is your argument for the highlighted?

The US military is not ideally suited for offensive operations. Large scale mobilization is costly, and light infantry and vehicles are not the pentagons strong suit.
I am pointing out that the USA has no offensive capability on a strategic level.

Only the Russians with their tanks and arty, or the Chinese with their armies, or the N.Koreans with their combined armies, tanks, arty, and missiles, can launch an offensive war.

Not the USA. So your fantasy about an American military assault is a pipe dream.

Two posts in a row that do not answer the question.

I do not care about "The US is winning a war without fighting" or "Why would the US actually want to invade Iran?" My question is whether the US could win a war with Iran involving physical combat.

By the way, I know it is not in the United States interests to wage war with Iran. This thread is directed towards those that believe the US military is invincible, and constantly make stupid comments on the internet about kicking their asses.
Can the USA win a war with the Martians, or the Romulans, or the Ferengi?

Might as well ask that question too, while you are asking.

Hopefully, we were to invade Iran, the US military's mission and constraints concerning how to accomplish that mission will not be defined by the OP.
The only nations that are at risk currently of an invasion are the European neighbors of Russia, or the South Koreans, or the Asian neighbors of China.

Iran is not one of those.

No matter how wacko the Iranian leadership gets, they only need to fear an occasional airstrike from Israel.

Iran has a population of 79.2 million, the US 324.7, so Iran is just under a quarter the population of the US.

Iraq has about 37 million, for comparison.

I do not think the US can invade Iran.

I also think it is possible the goal might be a massive bombing campaign, in particular of nuclear facilities, including with weapons that are not considered conventional.

Last edited:
Very plainly, the US cannot invade Iran. At least not do so without an embarrassing defeat.

It is simply impossible in a typical conventional war situation. That is unless some new technology was invented that threw out all the established rules in military theory.

Very plainly, the US cannot invade Iran. At least not do so without an embarrassing defeat.

It is simply impossible in a typical conventional war situation. That is unless some new technology was invented that threw out all the established rules in military theory.
The same was said before both Iraq wars.

The Russians got their asses handed to them in Afghanistan and they are next door neighbors. The US went in and did what the Russians couldn't. Russia doesn't have the supply structure that the US has to sustain anything but a war next door. China doesn't either.

The US isn't going to war with anyone in the near future. Thankfully we voted out Hillary who threatened Iran with nuclear annihilation. If it were not for the failed policies of Obama and Hillary I doubt we would be having this discussion.

The same was said before both Iraq wars.

By who? Someone well versed in military science?

The Russians got their asses handed to them in Afghanistan and they are next door neighbors. The US went in and did what the Russians couldn't.

Actually that isn't true. The Soviet mission in Afghanistan was a relative success. This has even been confirmed by US military analysts, one of which I have read an entire critique on. They intervened when their puppet regime was unstable, and left behind a relatively stable regime.

The Democratic Republic of Afghanistan actually surpassed the lifespan of the Soviet Union itself.[/QUOTE]

The USA could win initially, but at a horrific cost of men and money. It would have to start with a long buildup, the amassing US armies on the Iran-Iraq border. US weapons are much better, and they could beat the Iranian armies in the field.

However, that's assuming the Chinese and Russians didn't step in to help Iran. If such a thing happened, no, the USA could not win.

And the ongoing occupation would literally bankrupt the USA. Iran is not nearly as tribal as Iraq. The entire nation would be absolutely unified in their desire to kill every Yankee, along with most of the neighboring nations, and much of the world, being that such and invasion would clearly mark the USA as a dangerous aggressor nation and a menace to the planet.

But then, no point. The Obama-Clinton sanctions forced Iran to negotiate, and the Kerry deal sealed it. Brilliant foreign policy by Obama, totally shutting down their nuke program, so let's hope Trump doesn't botch it. I mean, remember how Bush botched things with North Korea, thinking that tough talk was all that was required, and thus allowed North Korea to obtain nukes? Let's hope Trump doesn't see that failure as the example to follow.

What is your actual argument that the US forces could even establish a foothold within Iran? Modern conventional warfare has not been fought by the US for 63 years. Provided Americans actually established a beachead, there would be a trench stuffed with Iranians armed to the teeth every 2 inches.

Quite simply it is next to impossible , and there are no actual arguments otherwise besides propagated delusions that the US military is invincible.

Forum List

Back