Could It Ever Be Enough?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by Madeline, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Meh. He's the head of the Universal Roman Church of Pederasty.

What do people expect?

3. THE LIGHT

THE LIGHT Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Under His Wings in the Shadow of the Almighty!
    Ratings:
    +301
    Well, at least he is man enough to appologize for acts commited by Catholics. :eusa_angel:

Now if only we could get Rauf to do that...:eusa_think: ... okay, not holding my breath.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    If you or someone you loved had been harmed in the child abuse scandals, would this apology be enough for you to forgive?

Not me.

The Church needs to open all its records. Cooperate totally with law enforcement. Pay restitution to the victims and their families. Defrock all clergy who are guilty. End the practice of canonical trials for crimes forever.

And Ratzinger needs to resign.

If all that happned, I think mebbe I could forgive.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. THE LIGHT

THE LIGHT Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Under His Wings in the Shadow of the Almighty!
    Ratings:
    +301
    So why should we forgive Muslims but not Catholics?:eusa_eh:

6. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,338
    Should there be forgiveness of anybody that does horrible harm in the office or name of their religion?

7. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    The Light, why do Muslims need our forgiveness? Not even "all Catholics" need mine...just those in the clergy who offended.

8. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Forgiveness helps the forgiving more than anyone else, Old Rocks...but IMO, for Catholics, first there must be some justice.

9. Foxfyre

Foxfyre Eternal optimist Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14,414
    I agree completely that representatives of the Roman Catholic Church did not handle their pedophile problem effectively or efficiently when it finally surfaced. I think it is doing a better job now or at least we aren't hearing much about errant priests these days. The focus is still on offenses of the past.

But we don't know if the current Pope had any part in any of that. I haven't heard that he has ever been accused. And what is he supposed to do other than express his sorrow and his commitment that no such abomination or any other destructive behavior will be tolerated within the Church on his watch?

The problem is not just the RCC either. For years the Episcopalians have dealt with similar errancy among their priesthood and male leaders. After two pedophile incidents in a row at a boys' home/school, only married people were considered to be assigned to that facility. And sure enough, the married chaplain was caught in the act. I was horrified that we was not stripped of his credentials and charged with a felony crime. But no, because he did not actually molest a child, he was reassigned to a post sans kids and put into 'counseling'. All denominations of churches have had moral issues, sometimes highly harmful and damaging, among their clergy and lay leadership.

The Boy Scouts have had their problems too, as has the YMCA, and all organizations where large numbers of young people congregate. Both boys and girls are at risk and screening continues to be inadequate to weed out all the pedophiles. Pedophiles are drawn to such organizations like flies, and many intentionally go into vocations or volunteer for positions in which they will have 'opportunity'.

I don't know what the answer is other than to continue to do rigorous screening and improve methods to ferret out the problems. Meanwhile there are thousands and thousands of decent, honorable, priests, clergy, and lay persons who would defend a child to the death and who would never harm one. And it is important that these people not be tarnished with the same brush.

But I don't know what the Pope can do other than to express his sincere regret that the problem has existed and do what he can to insure that it will not continue.

10. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624