Cosmos, the tv show

hangover

Gold Member
Oct 8, 2013
The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
Our galaxy is traveling through space at a half million kilometers per hour.
Anyone feeling any jet lag?
At the speed of light, it takes the sun's rays eight hours to reach us.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

Just a few trivia from the COSMOS show.

The earth's 24 hour rotation makes everyone travel at 1,500 kilometers per hour.
The earth traveling around the sun means everyone travels at 100,000 kilometers per hour.
The light we see from the nearest galaxy to us takes 100,000 light years to reach us, which means what we are seeing is a galaxy as it was 100,000 years ago. That really puts a hole in the evangelical's belief that creation is only 6,000 years old.

Correction. At the speed of light, the sun's rays take 8 minutes to reach us, not 8 hours.

I have to say I was disappointed in the reboot. Long on talk and actually kind of poor animation and graphics and very short on facts.

This reminds me of an old sci-fi movie wherein the earth suddenly stopped spinning on its axis.
It was of course disastrous. Wish I could remember the name of that one.

I always knew you lived in an alternate reality. If you want to use science to attack people that only exist inside your head you should get the science right.

The sun is less than 8 light minutes away from us, 8 light hours is well outside the orbit of Neptune. The closest galaxy is the Large Magellanic Cloud, which is 179,000 light years away. Since I actually watch Cosmos, and know that deGrasse Tyson wouldn't get those basic facts wrong, you must be watching an entirely different version than is televised in the real world.

I have to say I was disappointed in the reboot. Long on talk and actually kind of poor animation and graphics and very short on facts.

I'd say it's pretty good. The information is definitely aimed at science 'beginners' if you will. But the last episode got fairly deep into analyzing the color spectrum which I didn't learn until college and totally blew my mind.

I'd say it's pretty good. The information is definitely aimed at science 'beginners' if you will. But the last episode got fairly deep into analyzing the color spectrum which I didn't learn until college and totally blew my mind.

Really? We learned the color spectrum in grade school. I knew the schools have been dumbed down but that's astonishing.

Really? We learned the color spectrum in grade school. I knew the schools have been dumbed down but that's astonishing.

That atoms of each elements reflect differently in the spectrum. And that using a spectrometer we can tell the composition of different galaxies and planets. And if they're moving away or towards us and how quickly. And so on.

I said it goes fairly deep in talking about light spectrums, not just freaking rainbows.

Last edited:

But....he flies around in a CGI spaceship.

Big surprise, cons don't like shows with educational value. It hurts their ignorance bliss. It's shows like WWE Smackdown, and NASCAR that they can relate to. Funny, that NASCAR only turns LEFT.

Big surprise, cons don't like shows with educational value. It hurts their ignorance bliss. It's shows like WWE Smackdown, and NASCAR that they can relate to. Funny, that NASCAR only turns LEFT.

All while pretending to be better educated than they are.

This reminds me of an old sci-fi movie wherein the earth suddenly stopped spinning on its axis.
It was of course disastrous. Wish I could remember the name of that one.
How dare you say such a blasphemous thing! Don't you know the Sun revolves around the Earth? It had to be the Sun that stopped moving!

Josh 10: 12 Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon.
13 And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day

The fact is, no one knows for sure how old the world is.

Kansas to Black Out “Cosmos” Show Over Controversies
This is a thread in the CURRENT EVENTS section. My statement is confirmed.

But we can make a reasonable assumption that the Universe is more than 6,000 years old based simply on the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy.

But we can make a reasonable assumption that the Universe is more than 6,000 years old based simply on the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy.

How can you be certain that the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy has any bearing on the age of the earth.

I don't see the connection.

Basically it's just a guess because you do not know for sure and what makes your guess any more accurate than any one else's guess?

Howdy Colorado, I was born in Colo. Springs, raised in Gunnison. Good to see ya.

How can you be certain that the time it would take for light to travel here from stars within our own galaxy has any bearing on the age of the earth.

Basically it's just a guess because you do not know for sure and what makes your guess any more accurate than any one else's guess?

The reason you see no connection between the age of the Earth and the time it takes light to travel from stars within our own galaxy to Earth is because there is none: I said nothing about our planet but was talking about the age of the Universe.

Holy crap. This is the effect of schools in Texass replacing science with "intelligent design"!

Howdy Colorado, I was born in Colo. Springs, raised in Gunnison. Good to see ya.

Gunni's a nice place. I hiked the Pacific Crest Trail with a fella who lives there. I was born in Denver and lived in Leadville for ten years but I'm back down in D-town.

Forum List

Back