Corrective Rape of Lesbians

Have you ever BEEN to Africa? Actually, it is the most accurate statement you have heard in a long while. If I were to jump on a bandwagon about Africa, it would be more like the public health bandwagon than the 'corrective rape' bandwagon.

So start a public health in Africa thread. This one is about lesbians being correctively raped. Lesbians may not matter to you, but they matter to me.

Its a terrible thing, but what do you want us to say?

There's not a damn thing we can do about it.

I have a feeling it has an awful lot to do this this thread.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/197395-merry-christmas-happy-holidays.html

This problem is nothing new and not just in africa.

So start a public health in Africa thread. This one is about lesbians being correctively raped. Lesbians may not matter to you, but they matter to me.

You are right. And, while I haven't researched it, I would bet at least a cyber dollar that islam has something to do with this. But then 'progressives' defend islam like it isn't a religion, which it isn't, but that's another topic.

Anyone who is broken over conditions in another country really SHOULD go and present themselves for service in that country.

I will double that "cyber dollar" that you are right.

If we as a nation were to intervene the left would go apeshit mad, and because we dont do anything, the left says we are heartless :cuckoo:

I have a feeling it has an awful lot to do this this thread.

http://www.usmessageboard.com/religion-and-ethics/197395-merry-christmas-happy-holidays.html

This problem is nothing new and not just in africa.

Did Santa rape someone? :eek:

You are right. And, while I haven't researched it, I would bet at least a cyber dollar that islam has something to do with this. But then 'progressives' defend islam like it isn't a religion, which it isn't, but that's another topic.

Anyone who is broken over conditions in another country really SHOULD go and present themselves for service in that country.

Christianity is the largest religion in sub-Saharan Africa, and is 80% of the population in South Africa. So statistically the odds are that the crimes Sky is talking about are perpetrated by people identifying as Christians. You could be right that this "corrective" rape is being done by the 2% of the South African population who identify as Muslim but that would require some research and finding evidence which you seem to be unwilling to do even though an entire cyber dollar is at stake.

Several years ago at a place that I worked we had a committed lesbian couple who worked there also.

No one knew, but secretly; one of the lesbians was having an affair with a guy who worked in the office.

When the other lesbian found out. The lesbian couple broke up.

Next thing everyone knew. Him and the lesbian got married. Heck they even had a couple of kids!!

So from that day on he was a legend among the men who worked there.

And his nickname among the guys was "Lez Buster" :cool:

That has got to be one of the most ignorant statements I've heard in some time.

Have you ever BEEN to Africa? Actually, it is the most accurate statement you have heard in a long while. If I were to jump on a bandwagon about Africa, it would be more like the public health bandwagon than the 'corrective rape' bandwagon.

Sky,
I understand why this is a concern for you, and I don't think anyone here is condoning the practice, but tell us, just what would you have the United States of America do about it? It's another country, after all; just how should we justify going in there and telling them how to enforce their own laws in their country? Can we do that, any time there are human rights violations? Under what criteria?

Sky,
I understand why this is a concern for you, and I don't think anyone here is condoning the practice, but tell us, just what would you have the United States of America do about it? It's another country, after all; just how should we justify going in there and telling them how to enforce their own laws in their country? Can we do that, any time there are human rights violations? Under what criteria?

I want people to know about this. It happens. It happens in America too.

Sky, In the other thread you said you were leaving the forum (for a certain time) as per your aspiration rules.

Did you just mean leave that thread for your "Corrective Rape of Lesbians" thread?

I'm leaving tomorrow. Can't get rid of me soon enough, Ropey?

I hope it never happens to anyone you love.

Christianity is the largest religion in sub-Saharan Africa, and is 80% of the population in South Africa. So statistically the odds are that the crimes Sky is talking about are perpetrated by people identifying as Christians. You could be right that this "corrective" rape is being done by the 2% of the South African population who identify as Muslim but that would require some research and finding evidence which you seem to be unwilling to do even though an entire cyber dollar is at stake.

Yes, I am aware the number of muslims is very small in South Africa. BUT, how many does it really take to implement something like this if one is in a position of power. The worst I've heard of Christians doing in Africa in recent years is passing out Bibles and there was a couple killed off the coast of Somalia doing just that.

But just to ease your mind, I can afford to wager that cyber dollar so if you want to do the research, knock yourself out.

Forcing anyone is a heinous act. It is irrelevant what their personal orientation is. Rape has far less to do with sexuality than it does with the abject physical subjugation of another person.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

South Africa is failing to protect black lesbians and transgender men, who live in constant fear of "corrective rape", Human Rights Watch said in a report released on Monday. "The threat of violence that dominates the lives of lesbians, ...

AFP: South Africa failing black lesbians: rights group

You are doing he right thing by bringing focus on it. Bear Witness and tell the truth about what you see. That's how things get started. :):):)

South Africa’s black lesbians and transgender men in disadvantaged areas regularly confront hostility and abuse from their families, communities and in their workplaces, according to a damning Human Rights Watch report released on Monday. By GREG NICOLSON.

In binary opposition to the rights enshrined in the Constitution, the culture of stigma and discrimination often leads to unchecked physical and sexual violence, said the report titled “We’ll Show You You’re a Woman”.

But you know that, right? It’s hard to ignore after the 2006 stabbing and stoning of a young lesbian from Khayelitsha, Zoliswa Nkonyana, two of whose alleged murderers were acquitted while the remaining four are still in court.

The Human Rights Watch report seeks to explain the culture that creates the conditions for acts such as corrective rape – violence against perceived identity difference, so contradictory to our liberal Constitution and Bill of Rights. Through interviews conducted across the country, the investigators were able to describe how daily harassment and discrimination not only leads to physical and sexual abuse but also sanctions it.

Virtually all the interviewees said they had been subjected to frequent verbal abuse from male strangers and acquaintances, which usually went without recourse. “Left unchecked, such antipathy circulates and reinforces prejudices among and within communities. Verbal abuse and harassment that people face due to their gender expression and/or sexual orientation can create or enhance negative self-image, shape public opinion, instill fear and shame in people, and inhibit their access to public space and seek redress or justice,” said the report.

But most lesbians and transgender men are cautious about confronting those who call them stabane, gay, or make threats. When one respondent tried to prevent her lesbian friend from being raped, a long-time male friend told her, “If I had a crew of guys, I would take you out of your house and take you to [a busy part of the township] and rape and kill you.” When threats are carried out, the perpetrators boast of their exploits.

Whether such statements are tolerated depends on the balance between acceptance and discrimination that usually starts in the home, says the report. “What is clear is that family response is critical to the physical, material, and emotional well-being of lesbians and transgender men. As one respondent, Vinny, put it: ‘If one member of the family will accept you, the whole community will accept you’.”

Daily Maverick :: Human Rights Watch: Confronting the cause of corrective rape

"Corrective rape” describes the practice of straight men raping lesbians to “correct” their sexual orientation.

According to two national studies conducted in 2010, one in three women surveyed had been raped in the past year and one in four men admitted to committing rape in their lifetimes.
South Africa's "corrective rape" epidemic - GlobalPost - Salon.com

Rape is certainly nothing new in some areas of the African continent. If one out of three women have been raped in the past year, then they are certainly not all lesbians. Is there a higher percentage of rape of lesbians compared to the heterosexual female representation?

Forum List

Back