Cornbread - No Sugar or wheat flour! EVER!

Grits are great. :thup:
And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.

I hat to break it to you, but us'ns from Down Home use grits as a practical joke on Yankees. "Try this! You'll LOVE it! (hehehehe....)
The manna from Heaven, I am convinced, was grits.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.
You eat grits with butter and fried eggs chopped in, or with gravy.

No southerner would put sugar and cream in grits.

That is what God made oatmeal for.

I can't eat unsweetened cornbread.

Yes, I like the stuff that is more like cake.
You would love mine.

With whole kernel corn baked into it?
You talkin' to me?

Hell no, the only thing I would ever put in cornbread would be pecans, if I were making a cornbread dressing.

My cornbread is like a pound cake!!!!!!

Oh, yours is REALLY sweet!

I like a moderately sweet cornbread with whole kernel corn baked into it.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

You eat grits with butter and fried eggs chopped in, or with gravy.

No southerner would put sugar and cream in grits.

That is what God made oatmeal for.

And cream of wheat.

I can't eat unsweetened cornbread.

Yes, I like the stuff that is more like cake.
You would love mine.

With whole kernel corn baked into it?
You talkin' to me?

Hell no, the only thing I would ever put in cornbread would be pecans, if I were making a cornbread dressing.

My cornbread is like a pound cake!!!!!!

Oh, yours is REALLY sweet!

I like a moderately sweet cornbread with whole kernel corn baked into it.
I do it two ways.

If I want it sweet, and butter soaked, I use more syrup, more butter, and a dash of vanilla.

If I want it to dunk in pot likker, I used a cast iron cornbread stick mold, and cut back on syrup, and cut the vanilla out.

Polenta is good too.

Years ago, I was at a buffet restaurant loading up on fried chicken, greens, okra, black-eyed peas when I spotted a black guy with a plate of roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, and a roll. We looked at each other and started laughing lol.

2 cups White corn meal, 3tbl all purpose flour, tsp of salt, tsp of baking soda- mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.

Add 2 tbl of oil to iron skillet and place in oven at 400, for 10 min to get hot.

Add 2 cups buttermilk to dry mixture and one beaten egg, mix together

Take hot skillet with oil out of oven and pour oil in to now wet ingredients, mix and pour back in to the hot skillet..bake at 400 for 15 minutes

BEST SOUTHERN CORNBREAD EVER!!!!

Thank you. This is different from the recipe I used which called for equal amounts flour and corn meal. I am definitely going to try this recipe! :)

Polenta is good too.

Years ago, I was at a buffet restaurant loading up on fried chicken, greens, okra, black-eyed peas when I spotted a black guy with a plate of roast beef, mashed potatoes, corn, and a roll. We looked at each other and started laughing lol.

I've never tried polenta, but it looks a little mushy to me. What is the texture like?

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Have you tried them the regular way and mixed them with a fried egg or two? :)

And maybe, you or whomever is making them, is not adding enough salt to the boiling water you add the grits to....

If grits do not have enough salt in them, then they are tasteless....and when you add salt after cooking them, it just does not work.....so you could try adding more salt to the boiling water you add the grits to cook in.

Outside of that, I have known many yankees who just could not grow to like grits....

And please remind everyone that actual grits take 30 mins to cook. Instant grits are wrong.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

I hat to break it to you, but us'ns from Down Home use grits as a practical joke on Yankees. "Try this! You'll LOVE it! (hehehehe....)

They make eggs go farther. That is what they were meant to do. But good grits are tasty.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Have you tried them the regular way and mixed them with a fried egg or two? :)

And maybe, you or whomever is making them, is not adding enough salt to the boiling water you add the grits to....

If grits do not have enough salt in them, then they are tasteless....and when you add salt after cooking them, it just does not work.....so you could try adding more salt to the boiling water you add the grits to cook in.

Outside of that, I have known many yankees who just could not grow to like grits....

And please remind everyone that actual grits take 30 mins to cook. Instant grits are wrong.
Wrong on so damned many levels.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

They make eggs go farther. That is what they were meant to do. But good grits are tasty.
Properly cooked, and hot like they should be, they can cook the egg for you.

I like a little bacon grease on the eggs though, fry them just a bit, and then dump them into the grits.

Forum List

Back