Cornbread - No Sugar or wheat flour! EVER!

I have tried to make homemade cornbread, and it just doesn't taste right. I was told that is probably due to the cornmeal that I use, and I am sure that is the problem. I think there are some types of corn meal that just have no flavor at all. I still haven't gotten around to trying a new brand of cornmeal, but that is in my plans. I really want to make it! :)

If my mom put in sugar, it was just a little bit...our corn bread was corn meal, baking powder, baking soda, egg...I think. I'll have to ask her.

She used to make big pots of corn meal mush that was my favorite food until I was grown. We'd eat it with butter and brown sugar..then she'd slice up the cold stuff left in the pot and fry it in bacon grease with lots of salt and pepper and oh my.

She also made scrapple..cornmeal mush wish sausage, sage, salt and pepper stirred in, chilled in loaf pans then sliced and fried. Yum.

Jiffy works. I use two boxes and cook it in one of my cast iron skillets. Sometimes I add stuff...like cheese. Or chiles. Or canned corn.

I eat cornbread with butter and molasses.

Everybody else thinks I'm nuts, but that's the way my grandpa ate it.

I also eat butter and molasses on biscuits.

2 cups White corn meal, 3tbl all purpose flour, tsp of salt, tsp of baking soda- mix dry ingredients in separate bowl.

Add 2 tbl of oil to iron skillet and place in oven at 400, for 10 min to get hot.

Add 2 cups buttermilk to dry mixture and one beaten egg, mix together

Take hot skillet with oil out of oven and pour oil in to now wet ingredients, mix and pour back in to the hot skillet..bake at 400 for 15 minutes

BEST SOUTHERN CORNBREAD EVER!!!!

Grits are great. :thup:
And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Collard greens, I love. I've had fried okra, and it's not bad. I have also had black-eyed peas that I've liked, but I wouldn't travel for them.

But grits are awful. And I've tried (to the mockery of my Southern friends) to eat them with sugar and cream, and they're still no good. Tried them the "correct" way (with cheese, and pepper, or butter and salt and pepper), and they're still inedible to this damned Yankee.
Have you tried them the regular way and mixed them with a fried egg or two? :)

And maybe, you or whomever is making them, is not adding enough salt to the boiling water you add the grits to....

If grits do not have enough salt in them, then they are tasteless....and when you add salt after cooking them, it just does not work.....so you could try adding more salt to the boiling water you add the grits to cook in.

Outside of that, I have known many yankees who just could not grow to like grits....

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

Have you tried them the regular way and mixed them with a fried egg or two? :)

And maybe, you or whomever is making them, is not adding enough salt to the boiling water you add the grits to....

If grits do not have enough salt in them, then they are tasteless....and when you add salt after cooking them, it just does not work.....so you could try adding more salt to the boiling water you add the grits to cook in.

Outside of that, I have known many yankees who just could not grow to like grits....

That's very possible that there's not enough salt in the cooking water.

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

I hat to break it to you, but us'ns from Down Home use grits as a practical joke on Yankees. "Try this! You'll LOVE it! (hehehehe....)

And black-eyed peas.
And collared greens.
Fried okra.

I hat to break it to you, but us'ns from Down Home use grits as a practical joke on Yankees. "Try this! You'll LOVE it! (hehehehe....)

I knew it! They're really meant for texturing walls, right?

LOL

Forum List

Back