Coolest Spaceships? Real or imagined.

the Tardis from Doctor Who
The Starship Enterprise - any of them.
the White Star from Babylon 5
The Millennium Falcon from Star Wars
As long as it has a holodeck you can be anywhere you can imagine. Any century, any mountain or ocean. I'd always be at a whore house and never get married.

A personal favourite ...

Jews-In-Space-620x310.jpg
Is that the one from the Mel Brooks Movie?
Spaceballs

I suggest you eat worms, howl at the moon, and die. In the meantime some real visionaries will be going to Mars and the asteroids on some very large spaceships.

Yes, I've seen the plans ...

The-Jetsons.jpg

Musk has already reused one of his boosters, his record thus far is quite impressive for achieving things that others call impossible. Now tell me, is your dislike of Musk based on political ideology, or constipation.

is your dislike of Musk based on political ideology, or constipation.

I don't dislike Musk at all. I admire his skills as a huckster. But math don't lie ...

The mission to land 12 men on the moon cost 110 Billion Dollars. A permanent base on the moon or high Earth orbit (essential to supply a Mars colony) will cost 500 Billion or more.

Cost of a colony on Mars ... at least a Trillion Dollars.

No private company or consortium of companies will put up a Trillion dollars for a project without commercial potential to recoup that investment. Musk doesn't have anywhere near that kind of money. All the richest men on the planet together couldn't finance such an undertaking.

Musk's plans relies on 1960's lifting body technology that means every ounce of material put in to space costs $650. One liter of water from Earth to orbit costs $22,000 -- not including the Voss bottle. The cost of putting Musk himself into orbit is 2.5 Million dollars (he's on the plump side).

There is a way to invest in technology that will open up space for exploitation and that is a Space Elevator, which lowers lift costs from tens of thousands per kilogram to hundreds or less. Want to be serious about space travel, get serious about making it worth it.

Even THIS isn't worth $22,000 per kilo ...

f7818518d218f653a063e0459c0c7002.jpg

So many cool space ships out there. I'm sure everyone has a favourite. I'll start off with one of my favourites ...

Starship Avalon from 2016 'Passengers'

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2MS8xNjMvb3JpZ2luYWwvcGFzc2VuZ2Vycy1kb20tWkcwMjcwX2ZyMTA5OV9yZ2IuanBn
Yup I agree -- this one is the most fascinating starship to date.

Designed for 5000 passengers and 150 crew -- all asleep by the way when the ship wakes up a lowly mechanic to fix its meteor/planetoid damage.

Great movie !!

I don't dislike Musk at all. I admire his skills as a huckster. But math don't lie ...

The mission to land 12 men on the moon cost 110 Billion Dollars. A permanent base on the moon or high Earth orbit (essential to supply a Mars colony) will cost 500 Billion or more.

No private company or consortium of companies will put up a Trillion dollars for a project without commercial potential to recoup that investment. Musk doesn't have anywhere near that kind of money. All the richest men on the planet together couldn't finance such an undertaking.

Musk's plans relies on 1960's lifting body technology that means every ounce of material put in to space costs $650. One liter of water from Earth to orbit costs $22,000 -- not including the Voss bottle. The cost of putting Musk himself into orbit is 2.5 Million dollars (he's on the plump side).

There is a way to invest in technology that will open up space for exploitation and that is a Space Elevator, which lowers lift costs from tens of thousands per kilogram to hundreds or less. Want to be serious about space travel, get serious about making it worth it.

A colony to the Moon or Mars would need to be split half and half with males and females who were matched up at NASA/ROSCOSMOS.

I would want a Russian babe.

So many cool space ships out there. I'm sure everyone has a favourite. I'll start off with one of my favourites ...

Starship Avalon from 2016 'Passengers'

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA2MS8xNjMvb3JpZ2luYWwvcGFzc2VuZ2Vycy1kb20tWkcwMjcwX2ZyMTA5OV9yZ2IuanBn
Yup I agree -- this one is the most fascinating starship to date.

Designed for 5000 passengers and 150 crew -- all asleep by the way when the ship wakes up a lowly mechanic to fix its meteor/planetoid damage.

Great movie !!

I liked the movie a lot ... but he abducted that woman. You can't get past that fact. This is basically a sci-fi version of the '60s film 'The Collector' with a 'happy' ending.

Project Orion: Nuclear Pulse Propulsion.
Project Orion - Nuclear Pulse Propulsion for Spacecraft - the spaceship propelled by atom bombs

In the 1950's physicists and engineers began development work on the next generation of rocket technology, Orion. During A-bomb tests in the late 40's metallic spheres were hung over the ground zero point. After the explosion, the spheres were recovered, intact, and nuclear pulse propulsion was born.
NPP, is essentially, the usage of A-bombs, in a timed series of explosions, to exert a lifting force against a payload. Test models were built and tested proving the feasibility of the theory. (known as "putt-putt")
Leading physicists of the time, including Freeman Dyson & Stanislaw Unam, envisaged NPP rockets completely bypassing conventional rocket technology thus allowing manned missions to Mars by 1965 and to Saturn by 1970. A single large Orion could lift an entire lunar colony in one shot.
Always a political hot potato, the Orion program passed through several agencies hands before finally being killed by the 1963 Test Ban Treaty.
Project Orion Nuclear Propulsion - 1950s Tests | Unclassified Video

I first remember reading of an equatorial elevator in I believe an Arthur C. Clark novel and found the concept fascinating. I believe NASA did an experiment with a tether in low orbit. Not sure if that is still being pursued.

Forum List

Back