Contradictions in the Bible?

Joz said:
I'm not being a smart alec here, but what do you use as a guideline or standard of measure for living your life & the way you conduct yourself?

I have been taught right from wrong. Those things have been set by society over the centuries - some of those mores etc have come from the bible, some not. I don't need a book to tell me it is wrong to kill, rob, shoplift, drink and drive etc. (Oh, and I don't think you were being a smart alec at all - I actually like engaging in this type of convo without any rancor - unlike, say, somebody calling me a fool... :thup: )

-Cp said:
Psalm 14:1
The fool says in his heart, "There is no God."

Reminds me of a piece of graffiti I saw on a wall in one of our inner suburbs (I think it is an oft repeated one, but funny nonetheless). Somebody had written: "God is dead" - Nietzsche...underneath in a different coloured spray paint somebody had written "Nietzsche is dead" - God...

Phaedrus said:
It's a question of "Authenticity" in the existential sense. "This above all: to thine own self be true" (Hamlet). "Know yourself" (Socrates/Plato). Is your faith real? What is "Real"? What is "Faith"? What are "You"? And for the love of God, what is "Is"? :wtf:
And Kipling said, East is east & west is west and ne'er the twain shall meet.

Dr Grump said:
I have been taught right from wrong. Those things have been set by society over the centuries - some of those mores etc have come from the bible, some not. I don't need a book to tell me it is wrong to kill, rob, shoplift, drink and drive etc. (Oh, and I don't think you were being a smart alec at all - I actually like engaging in this type of convo without any rancor - unlike, say, somebody calling me a fool... :thup: )
But where do you think the boundries of society come from? Man is evil by nature; he couldn't have done it on his own.

Joz said:
But where do you think the boundries of society come from? Man is evil by nature; he couldn't have done it on his own.

Well, first you're making the assumption that man is evil by nature. I don't believe that, myself. Though there is clearly evil in the world.

The thing is, and I hope you don't mind my jumping in here to ask, it seems to me that what is being talked about is athiesm versus acceptance of the Christian Bible. There are more choices than that. What if Buddhism or Hinduism or Judaism have the right idea? (Not saying they do, just pointing out that not accepting the Christian pov isn't the same as not having belief.

Morals are what we do when no one is looking. ;)

Joz said:

From various societies - Jewish, Christian, Hindu. And I do not believe man is evil by nature. I think man is capable of just as much evil as he is of good. And it varies from man/woman to man/woman...For every Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin there is a Mohatma Ghandi and Mother Theresa....

Dr Grump said:
From various societies - Jewish, Christian, Hindu. And I do not believe man is evil by nature. I think man is capable of just as much evil as he is of good. And it varies from man/woman to man/woman...For every Adolf Hitler and Josef Stalin there is a Mohatma Ghandi and Mother Theresa....

Did you bother to take the time to listen to the lecture on the link I gave you?

Hmm, so we've gone from contradictions in the Bible to whether or not man is "Good". I'm tempted to ask what is "Good", but I've been posing too many questions as of late.

To steer things perhaps in the right direction, I'll assert that regardless of whether or not the Bible contradicts itself, the parables contained therein are worth the read :D

People take things too seriously, it's only life :funnyface death :death: and your immortal soul :halo:

Phaedrus said:
Hmm, so we've gone from contradictions in the Bible to whether or not man is "Good". I'm tempted to ask what is "Good", but I've been posing too many questions as of late.

To steer things perhaps in the right direction, I'll assert that regardless of whether or not the Bible contradicts itself, the parables contained therein are worth the read : D

People take things too seriously, it's only life :funnyface death :death: and your immortal soul :halo:

Paradox in the Bible is often misinterpreted for contradiction.

Don't care. If you haven't read the Bible, read it. If you have, read it again, or another seminal religious work. The only purpose of finding contradicions is to dispute validity or subjective interpretation, which IMO don't matter.

dilloduck said:
I get it--If science or reason can't prove it then it doesn't exist. Correct?
No. You don't get it at all.

Question#1: On what basis do you assert the existence of a "...spiritual world..." that is necessarily indisscociable from "...government, science or anything else...".

Insert your answer here:__________________________________

Question #2: If there is this "...spiritual world..." that is necessarily indisscociable from "...government, science or anything else...", why must it be distinguished from the very "...government, science or anything else..." that it is necessarily indissociable from?

Insert your answer here:__________________________________

Dr Grump said:
Well then we really haven't anymore to discuss, as this is at the core of Christian belief.

All I can say is this: .....and all our righteouness is as filthy rags. Isaiah 64:6
....For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God. Romans 3:23
....as by one man sin entered the world and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. Romans 5:12

Man is evil by nature.

See Grump, man is saved by justification. It is the accepting of Christ as the Redeemer. NOT by anything we can or ever will do.

Joz said:
Well then we really haven't anymore to discuss, as this is at the core of Christian belief.

All I can say is this: .....and all our righteouness is as filthy rags. Isaiah 64:6
....as by one man sin entered the world and death by sin, and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned. Romans 5:12

Man is evil by nature.

I think man is ignorant by nature.

Joz said:

Man is evil by nature.

See Grump, man is saved by justification. It is the accepting of Christ as the Redeemer. NOT by anything we can or ever will do.

"But we are all like an unclean thing, and all of our righteousnesses are like filthy rags" (Isa. 64:6).Reference Isaiah the prophet summed up the wretched state into which the covenant people of God had sunk. Though they had the boon of receiving the Law from Mount Sinai, though they had come out of Egypt through the Red Sea, they had turned from their Lawgiver. The children of Zion were worshipping false gods (42:17). They were reveling in the dregs of idolatry. So much so, the prophet calls Jerusalem a harlot (1:21) and likens it to Sodom (3:9).

And yet, the people had an illusion of righteousness. Some of them professed to be "holier than thou," even while burning incense on strange altars (65:3-5). But God did not esteem their righteousness to be anything but pollution. He even hated the Sabbaths and feasts that He had Himself ordained (1:13,14). The house of Jacob's apostasy had rendered its best acts of religion unclean. Like the wind, sins were sweeping people away (64:6b).

How appropriate that the prophet would break into such hyperbole as to call this supposed goodness "filthy rags." What better way to call the nation to repentance? In the context of proud Judah's barrenness, the rebuke comes with the force of a thunderbolt.

This is most certainly the way the text should be read. We have all heard that "a text without a context is a pretext." This applies here. The "filthy rags" must be understood historically and with application to the audience: apostate Jerusalem.

This, however, is not the way many Evangelical Protestants applies the famous passage. In fact, in all of the times I have ever heard it quoted - in sermons, study guides, books, Sunday School lessons - I have never once heard anyone interpret the verse in context. References to Isaiah 64:6 are invariably made to mankind in general. The verse becomes a proof-text for the total depravity of man - even of the saints. Many will say that the deeds of even the most profound disciples are nothing but "filthy rags" in the sight of God. And so, the text is made universal and theological, rather than specific and historical.

The Isaiah text has long functioned as support for the "orthodox" creeds and confessions. Calvinism uses it to establish the idea that everything the natural man does is wicked - even good deeds. This helps to set up the dogma of "total inability," the engine which drives the entire Calvinist soteriology.

http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/openhse/rags.html

Now mind you, I don't know anything about the author, but it was a different perspective.

Joz said:
This is right. But, if their works could be as "filthy rags", then what about the rest of us?
I believe this man is wrong.

I absolutely respect your belief. I think that type of certainty must be an amazing feeling. Just there are other beliefs as well. I prefer the Lockian view of man...a blank page which is neither good nor evil but has potential for either. I don't think we're created to be evil Through free will we can choose to do good or not do good.

jillian said:
I absolutely respect your belief. I think that type of certainty must be an amazing feeling. Just there are other beliefs as well. I prefer the Lockian view of man...a blank page which is neither good nor evil but has potential for either. I don't think we're created to be evil Through free will we can choose to do good or not do good.

I still think we're born ignorant--prone to do stupid things until we are taught better.

jillian said:
We were not created evil. Man chose this way. And freewill still reigns; to do good or evil. We are known by our works, yet they will not save us.

In this life, the way the world is, it is a constant struggle to follow God, to try & do good, to stay on the straight & narrow path. To not say nasty things, not lash out in anger, to love our neighbor so much as to lay down your life for them. Trust me, there's very few I would do that for.

Forum List

Back