Constitutional Currency?

Discussion in 'Economy' started by JBeukema, Nov 8, 2010.

?

Constitutional Currency?

1. Yea

80.0%
  2. Nay

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. I don't even know what fiat is

20.0%
  1. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    Should we end the unconstitutional fiat system and reinstate the constitutional money system?

2. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,672
    What does 'constitutional' have to do with it? Whichever leads to a more robust economy. The 'Big C' Constitutional question must be moot or the USSC would have ruled. It seems to me that the contraction in the monetary system that would occur should fiat money be abolished, would also lead to a contraction in the economy.

3. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    You read the text, congress reserves to itself the right to define and coin money. In the 1790's we used the spanish dollar as the basis for the US dollar. Same weight, same proportion of silver. Congress sets the standards, but the standard can be anything.

Gold and Silver are no more "constitutional" than Cowrie shells, gourds, or giant rocks.

What makes money, money in a particular place is the government mandates payment of taxes in this particular form. This means the people are obliged to have it, and there is one place you can always use it. The form is irrelevant.

4. Big Black Dog

Big Black Dog Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,714
    I had some money one time but I got married. Now, it doesn't matter what it's called. I don't usually have much of it.