Conservatism's death throes?

You can’t remember seeing black-and-white labels on generic products in the grocery store that were supposedly cheaper because they didn’t have fancy labels and were not advertised?

You can’t remember learning to get your groceries from the back of the shelf because there was a chance you could get something that had not had this week’s higher price sticker put on it?

You can’t remember gas lines?

You can’t remember seeing store clerks re-price merchandise while you were shopping?

You can’t remember Jimmy the Jackass Carter telling Americans they need to turn down the thermostats in the summer and turn them up in the winter?

You can’t remember the standard joke of the time that the surest investment you could make was a buggy full of groceries because the price was bound to go up by the next week?

You can't remember reading about inflation in your 4th grade Weekly Reader?

There were two back-to-back months in 1980 where the consumer price index rose by double-digits. If I remember right the CPI was up around 13% one month and then 15% the next.

I can't remember Americans embracing that. Generics were left on the shelf. I don't remember anyone but Jimmy turning down the thermostats or doning cardigans. ;)

No about buying bulk, though lots of complaints about 'democrat induced inflation.' Mind you, I lived in DuPage County and was in my 'tweens.'

Whenever Americans want to bring back morality into our culture we are attacked as "religious zealots" imposing our religious values upon others. The Left has been very successful at marginalizing our good Christian values. This idiocy has got to stop. We need to learn to wear our Christian values (Boy Scout values, patriotism, whatever) on our sleeves with pride. Hey, if a bunch of queers can have pride, so can the rest of us...

It's time we ATTACK them right back especially on two major fronts: the educational front and the media front and stop them from propagandizing their sick values by confronting them head on. We need to expose them for what they are and marginalize THEM. This can be started at the grass roots level as well as with lawyers, just like they did. We also need better leadership with backbones who can stand up to liberals. Enough of this "going along to get along" bs...out and out confrontation and actively beating the shit back is necessary at almost every turn. We need to reform our schools and our media to reflect OUR good values while we still have some. :bangheads

Ive been thinking about this. What we need is a new hollywood. a conservative one.. equal opportunity for both sides. Atleast then their might be some balance for the crap i see on TV.

Seriously if I see another show where you can just predict the religious guy is some hypocrite im going to scream.

Unfortunately, for the conservative movement, the current crop of so called conservatives polluting the halls of power in Washington and elsewhere are not conservatives. They have abandoned the core values of conservatism, fiscal responsibility, small government, respect for the Constitutional limits on power. They now embrace an authoritarian big-brotherism that George Orwell would easily recognize.

When conservatives go back to their roots and jettison this authoritarian baggage for the dead-weight that it is, they will return to the mainstream.

Unfortunately, for the conservative movement, the current crop of so called conservatives polluting the halls of power in Washington and elsewhere are not conservatives. They have abandoned the core values of conservatism, fiscal responsibility, small government, respect for the Constitutional limits on power. They now embrace an authoritarian big-brotherism that George Orwell would easily recognize.

When conservatives go back to their roots and jettison this authoritarian baggage for the dead-weight that it is, they will return to the mainstream.

But YOU don't believe in those values, do you bully?

I can't remember Americans embracing that. Generics were left on the shelf. I don't remember anyone but Jimmy turning down the thermostats or doning cardigans. ;)

Carter’s thermostat request was mandatory in all federal buildings and I think many state and local government buildings here also followed suit.

The grocery store my mother and I shopped at had an entire aisle of generic products and we used them. Even today I often see products packaged with black and white labels and I instantly think of the generics- shades of Jimmy Carter.

No about buying bulk, though lots of complaints about 'democrat induced inflation.' Mind you, I lived in DuPage County and was in my 'tweens.'

What about buying bulk? There was no bulk purchase grocery store where I live until well into the 1980s- after the worst of the inflation was over. The store didn’t last more than a year or two.

I was in the 4th grade when Carter's inflation began in earnest. I was half-way through the 6th grade when Reagan was elected. For all of the hand-wringing over 9-11 I still say the Carter Administration was the most traumatic thing the country has endured in my lifetime (I was born in 1968, so I have no memories about Vietnam).

Ive been thinking about this. What we need is a new hollywood. a conservative one.. equal opportunity for both sides. Atleast then their might be some balance for the crap i see on TV.

Seriously if I see another show where you can just predict the religious guy is some hypocrite im going to scream.

It's interesting to note how low-budget movies with Christian themes can make so much profit at the box office in comparison to their budgets.

Over a year ago I inherited some money that I don't need since I am not married, have no children and already have a retirement plan. I've offered it to over a hundred churches hoping I could establish a private school. No church is interest so I offered the money to a Christian college hoping I could build an environmental studies center (I have a bachelor's degree in biology). If my effort is successful I would like the college to some day implement a performing arts program and then set up a non-profit multi-media company to market Christian movies, music et cetera.

Forum List

Back