Conservatism's Death Gusher

It's not as bad as you apparently think it is (i.e., as bad as the media are making it look). I live in Louisiana and working on addressing the impacts of this oil spill has dominated my life for the past couple of months. The Gulf environment is breaking the oil down, depleting it of toxicity, very well. Yes, there are adverse impacts. But this isn't the disaster the media is portraying it as. In fact a lot of the damage is due more to perception than reality.
Exactly gulf shore tourist destinations are fighting desperately against a tide of Alarmist Media to get the word out that not every inch of every beach is covered in oil. Millions have been lost do to peoples false perceptions of the problem alone.

Personally I think the resistance to allowing press to cover the clean up has less to do with them not wanting us to see how bad it is, I think they want us to think it is worse than it is.

You're a tool and a hack.

Mercantilism and corporatism are not laissez-faire.

Your and Whackoff's strawman building project are towering fails.

Is your problem a mental block or just a lack of?

Let's try this, maybe a light will go on.

It was conservative, laissez-faire (leave it alone), free-market ideology - that maximizing profit comes first - that led to:

* Mercantilism and corporatism (the corrupt relationship between the oil companies and the Interior Department staff that was supposedly regulating them)

Sure.... that's it...... hit that bong some more.

What a load of nonsense.

BF, what I"m getting at is that it's not the disaster it's being portrayed as. Are some animals dying? Yes. Is it something that is destroying the Gulf environment? No.

I was out there again today making observations. It's not that bad. The media get out there and focus on the worse case vicinities. But what you're seeing in the media does not represent the overall picture. What you're seeing is extremely biased.

Actually, our response to what's happening is doing a whole lot more damage than the event itself is doing. I'm not talking about the response in terms of containing, cleaning up, and stopping the oil flow. I'm talking about the psychological response that results in things like closing areas to fishing when there's not really a health hazard, avoiding Gulf beaches when most people wouldn't even notice anything if they hadn't been watching news accounts, and (yes) putting a moratorium on deepwater drilling.

This is NOT a huge environmental disaster ecologically. It really isn't. The Gulf environment will recover from this very quickly. And actually it isn't even substantially impeded by it. The general public perception due to media accounts and the reality are two totally different things.

I sincerely hope and pray you are right, but I am very skeptical of your dismissal of the impact it will have on the environment and people's lives, not because of media coverage or psychological factors. It will be because of realities that have not manifested yet.

I concur that some of the response to this disaster has exacerbated the situation. But again it is not media or psychological. I believe BP's use of EPA banned toxic dispersants will create serious health issues for workers cleaning up the spill. Already there are signs of it. And workers are forbidden from wearing any protective gear. They will be fired if they do. It sure appears BP is more concerned with hiding the seriousness of this and limiting their liabilities.

Time will tell...

And the Obama administration CRIMIANLIZED media contact with the cleanup people because......
Coooooover UUUUUUUPPP!!!!

Quite humorous watching conservatives trying to defend another disaster that they have created.

Quite humorous watching conservatives trying to defend another disaster that they have created.

Unlike some, there are those of us that read from the past:

Sea life made surprisingly fast recovery after 1979 oil spill off Mexico | cleveland.com

Sea life made surprisingly fast recovery after 1979 oil spill off Mexico
Published: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 1:30 AM Updated: Sunday, May 23, 2010, 12:48 AM
McClatchy-Tribune News Service
By Tim Johnson
MEXICO CITY, Mexico -- The Ixtoc 1 oil spill in Mexico's shallow Campeche Sound three decades ago serves as a distant mirror to today's BP deepwater blowout, and marine scientists are still pondering what they learned from its aftereffects.
In terms of blowouts, Ixtoc 1 was a monster -- until the BP leak, the largest accidental spill in history. Some 3.3 million barrels of oil gushed over nearly 10 months, spreading an oil slick as far north as Texas, where gooey tar balls washed up on beaches.
Surprisingly, Mexican scientists say that Campeche Sound itself recovered rather quickly, and a sizable shrimp industry returned to normal within two years....

I've killed more birds and turtles than the oil spill. I guess that makes me even worse than the greatest environmental disaster the world has ever known.

Even more humorous watching liberals feigning outrage over disasters that aren't while applauding the real disasters.

conservatives huh?

Obama administration gave Deepwater Horizon an award for safety
Did nothing to fix the broken rules with the regulatory agency
BP is the most liberally minded of all oil companies in changing for green energy

Now, HOW is this conservatives fault? Remember, W, by your OWN SIDE'S ACCUSATIONS, is not conservative... he's a Neocon.

wow, i learn something new everyday...

only conservatives are for profit and corporate profit, only conservatives wanted bp to drill

amazing what one can learn

The oil industry bases it's decisions on acceptable risk. For every well they drill or processing facility they build, they weigh the costs and the financial risks against the potential profits. If the potential profits outweigh the costs and risks then they move forward with the project.

Obviously the oil companies consider the deep wells with blowout prevention an acceptable risk. But what about the people on the gulf coast, do they consider this an acceptable risk? If a terrorists blew up 4 or 5 of these wells, they could fill the gulf with oil turning the Gulf of Mexico into a great dead zone that might never fully recover. The lose of the environment and the resulting financial lost would be devastating to the country and the world. I am certainly not saying we should stop oil production, but I believe that we the people should have some input into what is acceptable risk. If the oil company can limit their financial risk, then why should they care what happens to the environment or the people?

only conservatives are for profit and corporate profit, only conservatives wanted bp to drill

You got it.

Only conservatives fought against regulating Wall Street and the oil companies.

The Unholy Trinity of corporate greed, the Republican Party, and Fox Lies.

The issue is death -- death gushing at ten thousand pounds per square inch from a mile below the sea, tens of thousands of barrels of death a day. Not just death to eleven human beings. Death to sea birds, sea turtles, dolphins, fish, oyster beds, shrimp, beaches; death to the fishing industry, tourism, jobs; and death to a way of life based on the beauty and bounty of the Gulf.

Many, perhaps a majority, of the Gulf residents affected are conservatives, strong right-wing Republicans, following extremist Governors Bobby Jindal and Haley Barbour. What those conservatives are not saying, and may be incapable of seeing, is that conservatism itself is largely responsible for what happened, and that conservatism is a continuing disaster for conservatives who live along the Gulf. Conservatism is an ideology of death.

It was conservative laissez-faire free market ideology -- that maximizing profit comes first -- that led to:

* The corrupt relationship between the oil companies and the Interior Department staff that was supposedly regulating them
* Minimizing cost by not drilling relief wells
* The principle that oil companies could be responsible their own risk assessments on drilling
* Maximizing profit by outsourcing risk assessment that told them what they wanted to hear: zero risk!
* Maximizing profit by minimizing cost of materials
* Maximizing profit by failing to pay cleanup crews and businesses for their losses
* Focusing only on profit by failing to test the cleanup methods to be used if something went wrong
* Minimizing cost by sacrificing the health of cleanup crews, refusing to allow them to use respirator masks to protect against toxic fumes.

It is conservative profit-above-all market fundamentalism that has led other oil companies to mount a massive PR campaign to isolate BP as an anomalous "bad actor" and to argue that offshore drilling should be continued by the self-proclaimed "good actors." Their PR fails to mention that in Congressional hearings it came out that they all outsource risk assessment to the same company that declared that BP had "zero risk." The PR fails to mention that they all use cost-benefit analysis to maximize profits just as BP did. Cost-benefit analysis only looks at monetary costs versus benefits, case by case, not at the risk of massive death of the kind gushing out of the Gulf at present. Death, in itself, even at that scale, is not a "cost." Only an outflow of money is a "cost." This is what follows from conservative laissez-faire market ideology, an ideology that continues to sanction death on a Gulf scale.

But the facts won't make a difference to dyed-in the-wool conservatives, since the facts will be filtered through their ideological frames: when the facts don't fit the frames, the facts will be ignored.

The conservative worldview says man has dominion over nature: nature is there for human monetary profit. Profit is sanctioned over the possibility of massive death and destruction in nature. Conservatives support even more dangerous drilling off the coast of Alaska and are working to repeal the President's moratorium on deep water drilling. Nature be damned; the oil companies have a right to make money, death or no death.

Whole article...

Corporate greed destroyed our economy and the Gulf of Mexico.

It is time for us to strike back.

Before you strike make sure you hit the right target. Head in the direction of D.C.

I liked the movie Wall Street where Gordon Gecko corectly stated "greed is good".
Greed can be good. Often, stupid mistakes are made because of greed. When and if they violate the law and are negligent and cause damage to others there are laws in place to make folks whole and prisons available for folks to go after they are convicted.
Everyone that drives a car is at fault. The demand for oil and the negligence of BP, not greed, caused this one.

You got it.

Only conservatives fought against regulating Wall Street and the oil companies.

The Unholy Trinity of corporate greed, the Republican Party, and Fox Lies.

In the News...

July 16, 2010

Top House Republican wants ban on new federal regulations

1792485_431.jpg

Washington (CNN) -- House GOP Leader John Boehner said he supports a ban on all new federal regulations, after meeting Friday with business lobbyists who complained about uncertain economic conditions.

"I think having a moratorium on new federal regulations is a great idea. It sends a wonderful signal to the private sector they may have some breathing room," Boehner said.

Top House Republican wants ban on new federal regulations - CNN.com

The Republicans in the Senate said no to unemployment benefits, no to aid to the states, no to creating jobs, no to standing up to Wall Street. They have been talking a lot recently about extending the Bush tax cuts for the rich - no matter how much that increases the deficit - but they won't extend unemployment benefits because that will increase the deficit.

Today Boehner said "having a moratorium is a good idea" because it will give the "private sector some breathing room." Sure. Just like unemployment gives people free time. And oil spills give enviros something to do.
Ethan Rome

The issue is death -- death gushing at ten thousand pounds per square inch from a mile below the sea, tens of thousands of barrels of death a day. Not just death to eleven human beings. Death to sea birds, sea turtles, dolphins, fish, oyster beds, shrimp, beaches; death to the fishing industry, tourism, jobs; and death to a way of life based on the beauty and bounty of the Gulf.

Many, perhaps a majority, of the Gulf residents affected are conservatives, strong right-wing Republicans, following extremist Governors Bobby Jindal and Haley Barbour. What those conservatives are not saying, and may be incapable of seeing, is that conservatism itself is largely responsible for what happened, and that conservatism is a continuing disaster for conservatives who live along the Gulf. Conservatism is an ideology of death.

It was conservative laissez-faire free market ideology -- that maximizing profit comes first -- that led to:

* The corrupt relationship between the oil companies and the Interior Department staff that was supposedly regulating them
* The principle that oil companies could be responsible their own risk assessments on drilling
* Maximizing profit by outsourcing risk assessment that told them what they wanted to hear: zero risk!
* Maximizing profit by failing to pay cleanup crews and businesses for their losses
* Focusing only on profit by failing to test the cleanup methods to be used if something went wrong
* Minimizing cost by sacrificing the health of cleanup crews, refusing to allow them to use respirator masks to protect against toxic fumes.

It is conservative profit-above-all market fundamentalism that has led other oil companies to mount a massive PR campaign to isolate BP as an anomalous "bad actor" and to argue that offshore drilling should be continued by the self-proclaimed "good actors." Their PR fails to mention that in Congressional hearings it came out that they all outsource risk assessment to the same company that declared that BP had "zero risk." The PR fails to mention that they all use cost-benefit analysis to maximize profits just as BP did. Cost-benefit analysis only looks at monetary costs versus benefits, case by case, not at the risk of massive death of the kind gushing out of the Gulf at present. Death, in itself, even at that scale, is not a "cost." Only an outflow of money is a "cost." This is what follows from conservative laissez-faire market ideology, an ideology that continues to sanction death on a Gulf scale.

But the facts won't make a difference to dyed-in the-wool conservatives, since the facts will be filtered through their ideological frames: when the facts don't fit the frames, the facts will be ignored.

The conservative worldview says man has dominion over nature: nature is there for human monetary profit. Profit is sanctioned over the possibility of massive death and destruction in nature. Conservatives support even more dangerous drilling off the coast of Alaska and are working to repeal the President's moratorium on deep water drilling. Nature be damned; the oil companies have a right to make money, death or no death.

Whole article...

Taking stupid risks is NOT a convervative value.

The fact that the nitwits who allowe d this to happen or made it happen are calling themselves conservatives doesn't matter a whit.

Cheyney was NOT a conservative, folks.

Neither was Bush II.

No more than Obama is a liberal.

Whole article...

The fact that the nitwits who allowe d this to happen or made it happen are calling themselves conservatives doesn't matter a whit.

Neither was Bush II.

I was going to agree with you until you said
"No more than Obama is a liberal"
Bush was not a conservative but obama is a liberal.

BF, what I"m getting at is that it's not the disaster it's being portrayed as. Are some animals dying? Yes. Is it something that is destroying the Gulf environment? No.

I was out there again today making observations. It's not that bad. The media get out there and focus on the worse case vicinities. But what you're seeing in the media does not represent the overall picture. What you're seeing is extremely biased.

Actually, our response to what's happening is doing a whole lot more damage than the event itself is doing. I'm not talking about the response in terms of containing, cleaning up, and stopping the oil flow. I'm talking about the psychological response that results in things like closing areas to fishing when there's not really a health hazard, avoiding Gulf beaches when most people wouldn't even notice anything if they hadn't been watching news accounts, and (yes) putting a moratorium on deepwater drilling.

This is NOT a huge environmental disaster ecologically. It really isn't. The Gulf environment will recover from this very quickly. And actually it isn't even substantially impeded by it. The general public perception due to media accounts and the reality are two totally different things.

I sincerely hope and pray you are right, but I am very skeptical of your dismissal of the impact it will have on the environment and people's lives, not because of media coverage or psychological factors. It will be because of realities that have not manifested yet.

I concur that some of the response to this disaster has exacerbated the situation. But again it is not media or psychological. I believe BP's use of EPA banned toxic dispersants will create serious health issues for workers cleaning up the spill. Already there are signs of it. And workers are forbidden from wearing any protective gear. They will be fired if they do. It sure appears BP is more concerned with hiding the seriousness of this and limiting their liabilities.

Time will tell...

I certainly hope so too... But I tend to doubt it. I've heard nobody (except Rush) portray this as anything but a devastating environmental disaster. One that particularly stuck with me was when an expert studying the situation said in comparison with Katrina, she'd much, much rather have another Katrina than this spill.

Now I don't recall that persons name, nor do I know her qualifications. But everything I've heard from a variety of sources, for now trumps an anonymous poster claiming "It's not that bad."

You're right. It's no one's value but the stupid or the insane.
Punishing reasonable risk taking and protecting failure IS a leftist ideal though.

Only ones I see accusing conservatives of this disaster are progressofascists who are pushing an agenda of fear and hate.

Neither was Bush II.

They were Neo Wilsonians... aka neocons... aka big government republicans. They prefer taking the bus to hell, not an airplane and enjoy the scenery

Either Obama is a progressofascist who's goal is the destruction of the constitution and turn this nation into a People's Republic "utopia".

Or he is so incompetent and unfit for the office he should be removed from his position post haste.

But not a liberal???? I'm incredulous you would make such a baldface lie.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back