consciousness

I only remark that you make the most basic of all mistakes, explaining a transcendental , a given of creation.
You are like the person trying to simplify what Truth , Beauty , or Goodness is.
What if consciousness is start and not a result.
Consciousness is an active PHYSICAL process that depends on a biological substrate.

That's what's new here - the PHYSICAL mechanism.

No one ever in all of history, has thought in these terms.

The biology is only there to support the underlying physics.

If you're into religion, this should resonate with you. The vocabulary may be different, but the physics is immutable.

It's red because we SEE it that way, not because of any inherent physics. The same wavelength could be perceived as red by one organism and yellow by another.
Which may be a totally moot point. We have a concept of "red", because we can form abstract concepts and possess the ability of introspection.

Animals do not. At no point does an animal stop to distinguish a color from another and contemplate that.

This stuff hurts my brain.

Which may be a totally moot point. We have a concept of "red", because we can form abstract concepts and possess the ability of introspection.

Animals do not. At no point does an animal stop to distinguish a color from another and contemplate that.

This stuff hurts my brain.
Would it still be red if no one ever told you it was red?

No... "red" depends on area V4 of the visual cortex.

In humans there is color blindness due to loss of sensory input, but there is also a condition called cerebral achromatopsia.

(check the references too)

The senses are embedded into the cerebral mantle in a peculiar way. There is also a condition called synesthesia, where you hear colors and see sounds. (Maybe you have to drop enough acid, I dunno - but it exists).

Forum List

Back