Congressman Whose Amendment Ended Federal Gun Research: 'I Have Regrets'

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010

In 1996, Rep. Jay Dickey (R-AR) spearheaded a piece of legislation that effectively put an end to government-funded research of gun violence. Now 75, the retired congressman admitted in aHuffington Post interview, “I have regrets.”

Dickey said his mind was changed after years of watching people lose their lives in mass shootings, like the massacre at Umpqua Community College last week that left 10 people dead.

“I wish we had started the proper research and kept it going all this time,” Dickey said.

You see, in order to understand a problem you have to first analyze the problem....Which this guy stopped...

His namesake amendment eliminated the $2.6 million that the Center for Disease Control spent on researching the effects of firearms ownership on public health. Passed by a Republican-dominated Congress, the NRA-backed amendment explicitly stated that, “None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

Dickey now finds himself at odds with the current crop of conservatives in Congress, who he says are over-interpreting his law. He told the Huffington Post that safety barriers along highways are the kind of common-sense life-saving measures that research can produce.

"If we had somehow gotten the research going, we could have somehow found a solution to the gun violence without there being any restrictions on the Second Amendment," Dickey said. "We could have used that all these years to develop the equivalent of that little small fence."

School shootings almost every week, three dead children every day ... No wonder the NRA shills don't want more facts out there.

Seriously, why pass laws prohibiting research?!? (Oh, duh...I know why)

I'm surprised the Regressive Republicans haven't tried to prohibit climate change research. :rolleyes:
Don't give them any ideas...Just mind numbing to think they don't even want to talk about it. I guess the checks from the NRA are larger than we thought.

I'm surprised the Regressive Republicans haven't tried to prohibit climate change research. :rolleyes:
You don't need to waste money on research.

Just lock up the crazies like we used to do.

4fa616649d8ab038ee47f8c2dd5d9b62.jpg

Because it's stupid. We all know the problem but we just won't admit it and the problem isn't guns, it's mental health.

The best way to minimize events like this is to better monitor those that have been diagnosed as mentally defective. Put them in the NCIC database which would prevent them from legally purchasing a firearm. You will not stop all crimes of this nature and to believe you can is wishful dreaming but you can take steps to prevent mentally disturbed people from buying a firearm.

Well, if everyone knows that's the problem you'd think the mental health industry would've fought the study instead of the NRA.

It's funny, I heard this little fact on Hannity and the other guest was some REPUBLACCUSER who actually said he be FOR A study on gun violence. That is until the other guy gave him a few facts and his response was "I don't believe Government Studies for 1 minute! They want to take your guns!"

So you see, even when republicans are willing to accept a study hypothetically...they already have a bullshit excuse at the ready, like the guy who complains about his knee during a pick up game of basketball, he sucks generally but blames it on his knee before he even plays.

If he sucks? Blame the "injury"
If he doesnt? He says he's a champ because he won DESPITE THE "injury"

In 1996, Rep. Jay Dickey (R-AR) spearheaded a piece of legislation that effectively put an end to government-funded research of gun violence. Now 75, the retired congressman admitted in aHuffington Post interview, “I have regrets.”

Dickey said his mind was changed after years of watching people lose their lives in mass shootings, like the massacre at Umpqua Community College last week that left 10 people dead.

“I wish we had started the proper research and kept it going all this time,” Dickey said.

You see, in order to understand a problem you have to first analyze the problem....Which this guy stopped...

His namesake amendment eliminated the $2.6 million that the Center for Disease Control spent on researching the effects of firearms ownership on public health. Passed by a Republican-dominated Congress, the NRA-backed amendment explicitly stated that, “None of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control.”

Dickey now finds himself at odds with the current crop of conservatives in Congress, who he says are over-interpreting his law. He told the Huffington Post that safety barriers along highways are the kind of common-sense life-saving measures that research can produce.

"If we had somehow gotten the research going, we could have somehow found a solution to the gun violence without there being any restrictions on the Second Amendment," Dickey said. "We could have used that all these years to develop the equivalent of that little small fence."

That bill was just a scheme to get the government to fund gun-control propaganda.

Well, if everyone knows that's the problem you'd think the mental health industry would've fought the study instead of the NRA.

It's funny, I heard this little fact on Hannity and the other guest was some REPUBLACCUSER who actually said he be FOR A study on gun violence. That is until the other guy gave him a few facts and his response was "I don't believe Government Studies for 1 minute! They want to take your guns!"

So you see, even when republicans are willing to accept a study hypothetically...they already have a bullshit excuse at the ready, like the guy who complains about his knee during a pick up game of basketball, he sucks generally but blames it on his knee before he even plays.

HE was a fool because anyone who doesn't understand that any research about guns funded by the government will be managed by government bureaucrats and performed by left-wing professors.

Because it's stupid. We all know the problem but we just won't admit it and the problem isn't guns, it's mental health.

The best way to minimize events like this is to better monitor those that have been diagnosed as mentally defective. Put them in the NCIC database which would prevent them from legally purchasing a firearm. You will not stop all crimes of this nature and to believe you can is wishful dreaming but you can take steps to prevent mentally disturbed people from buying a firearm.

That is how bills and laws come about. The GOP and the NRA don't want data to be collected, even though the proposals may not even impact guns. The GOP snd the NRA would rather see people die than seek data. They have to protect their profits.

HE was a fool because anyone who doesn't understand that any research about guns funded by the government will be managed by government bureaucrats and performed by left-wing professors.

And there yiu have it. So that leaves only one thing that can provide data to repubaccusers their own preconceived thoughts. And dammit if some data doesn't support it then gosh darnit the data sucks! Lmao

And there yiu have it. So that leaves only one thing that can provide data to repubaccusers their own preconceived thoughts. And dammit if some data doesn't support it then gosh darnit the data sucks! Lmao

It's a sad fact. but the government has thoroughly corrupted science. The AGW scam made that apparent. When government is paying big bucks for a given conclusion, there are abundant "scientists" willing to give it to them.

I hope no one "takes your guns" because obviously none if you are men without them. Pretty obvious!

It's a sad fact. but the government has thoroughly corrupted science. The AGW scam made that apparent. When government is paying big bucks for a given conclusion, there are abundant "scientists" willing to give it to them.

Right!

Therefore the only person right is YOU! It's easy to be a Republican, aint it?

Forum List

Back