Congress may require more legroom on planes

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
The federal government has no business intervening in this. This is not their role nor is it within their purview. The comfort level on planes is based on market forces. People still pay to the buy these seats, so there is simply no reason for the airlines to change anything. Many airlines offer economy comfort seating and first class seating if you want more space. All government intervention will do is drive up the cost of flying for everybody and your lower budget airlines like Allegiant, Spirit, etc. will be less affordable for lower income people to fly. In the end, lower income people will get screwed by these federal regulations and will either have to take less trips or find alternative means of transportation.

Congress may require more legroom on planes, rules on service animals and involuntary bumping

The federal government has no business intervening in this. This is not their role nor is it within their purview. The comfort level on planes is based on market forces. People still pay to the buy these seats, so there is simply no reason for the airlines to change anything. Many airlines offer economy comfort seating and first class seating if you want more space. All government intervention will do is drive up the cost of flying for everybody and your lower budget airlines like Allegiant, Spirit, etc. will be less affordable for lower income people to fly. In the end, lower income people will get screwed by these federal regulations and will either have to take less trips or find alternative means of transportation.

Congress may require more legroom on planes, rules on service animals and involuntary bumping
This si a bit of a fine line. I agree that the government cant dictate comfort. One must however think of evacuation safety.

This si a bit of a fine line. I agree that the government cant dictate comfort. One must however think of evacuation safety.

Why? If you don't like the evacuation safety of the airline, don't get on the plane.

Why? If you don't like the evacuation safety of the airline, don't get on the plane.
That's a stupid retort. Seats must be far enough apart for safe and efficient evacuation.

The government doesn’t have any business in this matter. Fly a different airline if you feel like you’re treated like steerage.

People in foreign countries will pile 100 people on a school bus too. Doesnt make it right.

There are also health issues (e.g., DVT) associated with airline seat size.

Sounds to me like the Interstate Commerce Act would probably apply. If so, yes, it's the responsibility of congress to regulate it.

Last edited:

Congress is an extension of the will of the people.

They can intervene if the people want more leg room...

That's how it works... wish they worked for the people more often.

It sounds like a good bill to me. If what that article says is true I'm surprised the bill is actually going to be passed in the congress. There's a lot of other good stuff in that bill besides the ever decreasing space on an airplane.

Most flights I'm on are totally full. That means the airline is making money and can afford to add more planes. If they have to add more seats it means they're having full planes and can afford to add more planes.

The amount of space in an airplane isn't a problem for me. I'm only 5ft 1in tall. I've got all the room I need.

However, I'm not selfish. I see tall people trying to fit into those seats with their knees up to their chest. Then someone reclines the seat in front of them and they have the back of the seat in their faces or knees.

I don't expect people to be cramped into an airplane just so I can have a cheaper ticket.

I'm just not that selfish.

Sure alot of new frickin rules, people really try to fake and say their dogs are service animals?

Forum List

Back