Congrats Drew Brees

This is why I hate Nick Saban, He screwed the Miami Dolphins for years when he did not sign Drew Brees when he was the Dolphin Head Coach, He signed Dante Culpepper instead saying he was healthier that Drew Brees. Since then I cheer for every team that plays against the Tide

Favre was the raw gunslinger, though. Hands down. He made the game fun to watch.

Nothing against those other guys, they're all certainly good QBs.

Nobody made the game fun to watch more than did Randall Cunningham.
emoticon_10s.gif

Montana fucked Cunningham out of an MVP.........True story, but it was the AP's fault. Cunningham was great.

Great is an overly used word in sports. I thought Cunningham was one of the better QB’s but I wouldn’t equate him with the word great. I actually thought he was at his best when he became a pocket passer that one year he was on the Vikings playing with Moss.

Forcing him to stay in the pocket is how he got injured, tore an ACL and missed virtually a whole season. That's unnatural for him. Rich Kotite is responsible for that because he didn't recognize what Randall naturally does. Sure, you could tell him to think pass first and run second (Buddy Ryan apparently told him the opposite) but when you change his whole style it's gonna bring problems.

Cunningham certainly could pass, as evidenced when he threw one 70 yards into the wind for an end-to-end touchdown. But if a coach is going to direct his foot traffic, which was what he was best at, the overall game is going to suffer, and it did. Dennis Green had the better approach, plus he had Randy Moss. His Vikings games were statistically more successful, although really not as adventurous to watch.

Big picture, what Randall did was change the way the game was played, singlehandedly, because of what he brought. You had to play a different game vs the Iggles than you played against anybody else. And that made it worth watching because --- anything can happen. Including a 91-yard punt.
As a Giant fan, I have many memories of Randall Cunningham

The most memorable was in a scoreless game, the Giants forced Philadelphia to punt from the three yard line. As a Giant fan, I’m looking to get the ball in Eagles territory.

For some reason, Buddy Ryan put Cunningham in to punt. Randall kicked a low punt that squirted past the Giant return man. It went 91 yards and pinned the Giants down at the ten.

From there, the Eagle Defense pounded the Giants

Tom Brady is the greatest Athlete that ever played any major sports

LOL....Sure, what an AMAZING athlete. I probably throw a better ball:abgg2q.jpg:. His arm is marginal, they're awesome because of Kraft, Belichick, scheme and probably some cheatin'.

If you want to talk athlete and QBs, look no further than Wilson. FAR better arm than Brady, and a much bigger threat too. Cept when he threw that pass in the SB that is.....Ha, fucking STUPID ASS play, they had em beat with a second string pass defense.
Brady manages to win with whatever players are around him. Not many Hall of Famers on the Patriot offense. Brady elevates everyone around him

Note: "elevates", not "inflates"....
I never cared about inflation. I always thought QBs should be able to get any inflation level they want depending on the weather

LOL....Sure, what an AMAZING athlete. I probably throw a better ball:abgg2q.jpg:. His arm is marginal, they're awesome because of Kraft, Belichick, scheme and probably some cheatin'.

If you want to talk athlete and QBs, look no further than Wilson. FAR better arm than Brady, and a much bigger threat too. Cept when he threw that pass in the SB that is.....Ha, fucking STUPID ASS play, they had em beat with a second string pass defense.
Brady manages to win with whatever players are around him. Not many Hall of Famers on the Patriot offense. Brady elevates everyone around him

I never cared about inflation. I always thought QBs should be able to get any inflation level they want depending on the weather

I agree, it's still a football. I like the ball at Brady-level too:abgg2q.jpg:

Favre was the raw gunslinger, though. Hands down. He made the game fun to watch.

Nothing against those other guys, they're all certainly good QBs.

Nobody made the game fun to watch more than did Randall Cunningham.
emoticon_10s.gif

Montana fucked Cunningham out of an MVP.........True story, but it was the AP's fault. Cunningham was great.

Great is an overly used word in sports. I thought Cunningham was one of the better QB’s but I wouldn’t equate him with the word great. I actually thought he was at his best when he became a pocket passer that one year he was on the Vikings playing with Moss.

Forcing him to stay in the pocket is how he got injured, tore an ACL and missed virtually a whole season. That's unnatural for him. Rich Kotite is responsible for that because he didn't recognize what Randall naturally does. Sure, you could tell him to think pass first and run second (Buddy Ryan apparently told him the opposite) but when you change his whole style it's gonna bring problems.

Cunningham certainly could pass, as evidenced when he threw one 70 yards into the wind for an end-to-end touchdown. But if a coach is going to direct his foot traffic, which was what he was best at, the overall game is going to suffer, and it did. Dennis Green had the better approach, plus he had Randy Moss. His Vikings games were statistically more successful, although really not as adventurous to watch.

Big picture, what Randall did was change the way the game was played, singlehandedly, because of what he brought. You had to play a different game vs the Iggles than you played against anybody else. And that made it worth watching because --- anything can happen. Including a 91-yard punt.
As a Giant fan, I have many memories of Randall Cunningham

The most memorable was in a scoreless game, the Giants forced Philadelphia to punt from the three yard line. As a Giant fan, I’m looking to get the ball in Eagles territory.

For some reason, Buddy Ryan put Cunningham in to punt. Randall kicked a low punt that squirted past the Giant return man. It went 91 yards and pinned the Giants down at the ten.

From there, the Eagle Defense pounded the Giants

I remember that well. Randall was in to punt because the regular punter was down with injury. Actually Randall should have had that position anyway, he was as outstanding at it as everything else, won awards doing that in college, but the NFL didn't know it. Punted from his own end zone, ball finally got picked up at the 6. Fourth longest punt in NFL history, and as far as I know, the only one he kicked. It's possible he punted later in that game and we don't remember because it failed to go 91 yards.

Wasn't a low punt though, it was a high spiral.

Last edited:

Inflation, though, means a Brady TD is only worth what would be 3.7 points in 1977.

Forum List

Back