Confederate Flag Has Lots of Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
"They" ? I sense that you have no clue who "they" were. See Post # 72.

"They" were the people who went along with seceding from the United States of America in order to preserve slavery. The fact that there were large numbers of people who did not own slaves does not change that. And before you go into the "other" reasons, you should go read the Cornerstone Speech made by the Vice-President of the Confederate States.

And regardless, to defend using the flag of the Armey of Northern Virginia to honor the fallen who never served in the Army of Northern Virginia is a slap in the face of every confederate soldier. To promote that flag as the flag of the CSA is simply promoting ignorance.

No, there is no law against the flag you want to portray as the "confederate flag". It can even be defended as free speech. But there is also no law against shunning the idiots who fly it. Free speech is guaranteed by the US Constitution. But there is no such guarantee that there will not be consequences.

You voted for an avowed serial sexual assaulter twice, didn't you? :heehee:
Are you kidding? I've never been stupid enough to vote for a dementia man who showered with his own daughter

biden-incest.png

"They" were the people who went along with seceding from the United States of America in order to preserve slavery. The fact that there were large numbers of people who did not own slaves does not change that. And before you go into the "other" reasons, you should go read the Cornerstone Speech made by the Vice-President of the Confederate States.

And regardless, to defend using the flag of the Armey of Northern Virginia to honor the fallen who never served in the Army of Northern Virginia is a slap in the face of every confederate soldier. To promote that flag as the flag of the CSA is simply promoting ignorance.

No, there is no law against the flag you want to portray as the "confederate flag". It can even be defended as free speech. But there is also no law against shunning the idiots who fly it. Free speech is guaranteed by the US Constitution. But there is no such guarantee that there will not be consequences.

1. The vast majority of the rank and file soldiers were not in a position to effect policy. THeir choice was to fight to defend their homelands or to stand by and left the Union armies invade and destroy. To hold them personally responsible for government policy seems unreasonable.

2. The one battle flag becomes synonymous with all the battles flags and thus a symbol representing all the soldiers, seems like an understandable evolution. And nothing to get snooty about.

3. Shun them for what? Celebrating their ancestors military service with a flag you don't approve of? Is that really a reason worthy of the division and hate that you see being ginned up here?

1. The vast majority of the rank and file soldiers were not in a position to effect policy. THeir choice was to fight to defend their homelands or to stand by and left the Union armies invade and destroy. To hold them personally responsible for government policy seems unreasonable.

2. The one battle flag becomes synonymous with all the battles flags and thus a symbol representing all the soldiers, seems like an understandable evolution. And nothing to get snooty about.

3. Shun them for what? Celebrating their ancestors military service with a flag you don't approve of? Is that really a reason worthy of the division and hate that you see being ginned up here?

1. But the choice to fight against the United States was every man's to make.

2. One battle flag does not become all battle flags. That is a weak justification.

3. Shun them for being traitors to the United States of America and for fighting a war to maintain slavery.

1. But the choice to fight against the United States was every man's to make.

2. One battle flag does not become all battle flags. That is a weak justification.

3. Shun them for being traitors to the United States of America and for fighting a war to maintain slavery.

1. Obviously. But my point was holding them responsible for national policy, seems a bit much.

2. Sure it does. It DID. You just don't like that it happened. Why do you care about that?

3. Clearly we were talking about modern people who fly the flag today, to celebrate their heritage and regional pride. They are generally MORE patriotic than most Americans and certainly do not support slavery. So, I repeat my question. Why shun them?

Consider the utter stupidity of the confederacy:

1. They started a war to prove they were better than the slaves and lost.

2. The poor and middle class fought and died in this war to ensure that the upper classes didn't to have to pay the help.

Consider the utter stupidity of the confederacy:

1. They started a war to prove they were better than the slaves and lost.

2. The poor and middle class fought and died in this war to ensure that the upper classes didn't to have to pay the help.

I think if you travelled in time and went and asked the confederate soldiers why they were fighting they would give different and better answers.

Oh wait, this is about you proving to yourself that you are better than men that have been dead for over a century?

Wow. That's....utterly....something....

1. Obviously. But my point was holding them responsible for national policy, seems a bit much.

2. Sure it does. It DID. You just don't like that it happened. Why do you care about that?

3. Clearly we were talking about modern people who fly the flag today, to celebrate their heritage and regional pride. They are generally MORE patriotic than most Americans and certainly do not support slavery. So, I repeat my question. Why shun them?

1. Not at all.

2. No, it is not about my disliking anything. I served in the US Navy. If I had been killed in a war while serving, I would certainly not want to be buried beneath a US Army flag, or a US Air Force flag. This runs even deeper than that.

3. More patriotic? Flying the flag of an army or of a nation that went to war with the United States of America is not patriotism.

And just FYI, in much of the 20th century, despite your denial, the flag you claim was used to intimidate and terrorize blacks.

1. Not at all.

2. No, it is not about my disliking anything. I served in the US Navy. If I had been killed in a war while serving, I would certainly not want to be buried beneath a US Army flag, or a US Air Force flag. This runs even deeper than that.

3. More patriotic? Flying the flag of an army or of a nation that went to war with the United States of America is not patriotism.

And just FYI, in much of the 20th century, despite your denial, the flag you claim was used to intimidate and terrorize blacks.

1. When you served, how much input did you have, on national policy? Personally?

2. Your national government wasn't defeated and you did not surrender and get reassimilated into another country. Such an event could mix it up. It seems a reasonable adjustment to me.

3. BUt it is. Harmless regional pride as part of the larger American Patriotism. This has been going on for a long time now. It is hard to credit that you are unaware of this.

4. Much of the 20th? I doubt it. When I read of those times, I think the lynchings and beatings and prison time was probably what the black people found intimidating, not the flags flying over the confederate graves.

NO, they were NOT that. There WAS NO slavery in mountain areas of the South, which is a huge area covering large portions of at least 7 states. As is in previous posting (can you read ?) many civil war southerners, without modern communications, knew nothing about slavery, the confederacy, and didnt even know black people existed. They simply shot back at people who were shooting at them. I'm not talking one iota about people who supported slavery, so I dont know why you are.
I suggested that you read Post # 72. Looks like you didnt.

Well, no law against you coming in here and making a complete, stupid idiot out of yourself. That is YOUR consequence.

You think these people are supporting the preservation of slavery ?

1655007733018.png
1655007760232.png

1655007830429.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back