Condomns and Candy for Kintergarten Kids

There is X amount of time in a school day----you are asking to TAKE AWAY time that could be used for what schools are designed to do. Teach academics. School is not a hospital, babysiter, church or sexual institution. They are failing because people cannot figure that out.
We have kids who know all about sex now----they just cant read or do math.

All schools K-12 have been a babysitter for a very long time now.

It's not a church? Wonder why we say Under God then in the pledge every morning. (Though that's a different debate for another time.)

And those kids can't read or do math because of such things like No Child Left Behind and the wonderful job that Dubya has done with education. :rolleyes:

:iagree: with the idea of it being an elective.

In my school, you only take health class one quarter out of the year. The rest of the year is Gym.

IMHO you would be much further ahead if both of those were replaced with academics----do you realize that when you go to compete for a job, someone who is smarter than you will most likely get it ? What do you intend to do then ? Complain ?

IMHO you would be much further ahead if both of those were replaced with academics----do you realize that when you go to compete for a job, someone who is smarter than you will most likely get it ? What do you intend to do then ? Complain ?

Of course everybody realizes that Gym and Health are a waste of time.

That's why I think Health should be a elective.

If I go compete for a job, and someone is more qualified then me gets it; I'll try to find the same job in another place.

Shattered Wrote:
perhaps the impression would change of cons being backwards, strap a chastity belt on women, nutters if the majority didn't appear to think that sex is a dirty, taboo subject, even in this day and age....

I think that if you truly thought about this you would realize how close-minded, judgemental, and stereotypical this makes you sound. "The majority of conservatives think sex is a dirty, taboo subject?" Come on...this just makes you sound stupid...and you're not.

however, if anyone believes that children are being taught all they need to know about MEDICAL FACTS at home, they are naive.

I think this is a very important point because I think it hits the true core of the debate between government control and personal freedom.

Do people have the RIGHT to be ignorant in your opinion? I'm guessing that you think, no - it is the governments job to educate all people about certain things.

From a strict libertarian mindset, I have to disagree with you...because the one thing I have found the government to be truly shitty at is STOPPING itself from taking MORE control over our personal freedoms.

I would rather allow idiot parents choose to raise their children in ignorance about the fact that they can contract herpes from oral sex...than I would having "the state" tell them that they have to have their child taught what "the state" deems as absoultely important about sex.

Is that cruel to the child who grows up not knowing? Perhaps... But I simply don't trust the government enough to stop at some point before it takes over a parents role as parent.

Schools should be teaching the medical facts, consequences of unprotected sex....ie: disease, pregnancy

Home should be teaching the MORAL/VALUES consequences of sex before they are emotionally ready for that situation.

These go hand in hand IMO... morals/values at home...medical facts at school...

I don't necessarily disagree with you here. And I think that allowing parents to "opt-out" their children is a nice middle ground.

However...where I always come back to...perhaps because of what I actually see happening in public schools I work in...is that schools are NOT stopping with medical facts. Morals/Values education is becoming part of public school curriculum. Schools are providing more and more services that used to be firmly in the realm of the parent.

One of the things I admired most about Barak Obama was that he was the first politician I had ever seen who stated publically that one of the main problems with our public education system was that parents were not involved in teaching their children that education was important...and without parent support and involvement, children were not going to succeed.

He is absolutely right. But, by schools acting en loco parentis in an increasingly widening scope....Obama is not supporting increased parental support and involvement...he's advocaing LESS.

Every year, I am asked to act more and more as my students parent, than their teacher. Every year we enact a new program to take over some aspect of our students' lives that used to be the job of the parent...

I view comprehensive sex-education starting at Kindergarten as just another example of the road we're walking down...towards ever decreasing responsibility on the part of the parent.

You know, it's gotten to the point where the parents basically tell the schools and teachers to keep their kids safe and teach them things for the time that they're there, but don't talk to them about sex, as that is the parents job.

Meanwhile, the parent is weighted down by job, spouse and other interests and the child only sees the worry and the arguements, and learns NOTHING about how to be a useful member of society.

Is it the schools job to turn out good citizens? No. That belongs solely to the parents. However, it IS the schools job to give the child attending the best and most complete and accurate information possible so that the parent CAN teach their child how to be a good citizen.

Trouble is, leaving out most of the information (abstinence only classes) does absolutely nothing towards putting the child in a position to make a decision, because most of the decisions aren't there.

Just because a person ignores something, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Who is to say that some kid isn't going to take what they learn in Health and Gym classes and work toward a fulfilling career as a Firefighter / Paramedic?

-Joe

You know, it's gotten to the point where the parents basically tell the schools and teachers to keep their kids safe and teach them things for the time that they're there, but don't talk to them about sex, as that is the parents job.

Meanwhile, the parent is weighted down by job, spouse and other interests and the child only sees the worry and the arguements, and learns NOTHING about how to be a useful member of society.

Is it the schools job to turn out good citizens? No. That belongs solely to the parents. However, it IS the schools job to give the child attending the best and most complete and accurate information possible so that the parent CAN teach their child how to be a good citizen.

Trouble is, leaving out most of the information (abstinence only classes) does absolutely nothing towards putting the child in a position to make a decision, because most of the decisions aren't there.

Just because a person ignores something, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Since NO parents agree on what a good citizen is nor what proper sex education is, why bother with it. Thats NOT the purpose of a school anyway. There is something seriously wrong with any parent who claims they dont have the time to teach their child---it borders on neglect and abuse and the is NO acceptable excuse for it.
We can't even get parents to teach their kids how to properly behave in a school setting thus destroying the learning opportunity for the whole CLASS.

we have a nation of fat children, sitting in front of their computers all day...many schools eliminated gym as a requirement for 4 years, as it was when i was in high school, this has hurt our children imo.

Gym should be mandatory, all 4 years...not just for the exercise, but for team relations.

When i was younger, and my boss, who was not even a Catholic, had a delinquent 13 year old, he enrolled him in Catholic School to straighten his kid out. One of the requirements the school put on them, in order to take his child in to this private school, was that his child be enrolled in some of their Team sports....the School felt this was important to rid the child of his juvenile delinquency... So he joined their track team....initially and then later moved to basketball... His child was STRAIGHTEN OUT and became a well behaved student....it worked.

I feel this way about gym, at least the kind of gym courses I had as a child, where we learned and played all different kinds of sports and what team work and getting along with your fellow classmates was....

Last edited:
Who is to say that some kid isn't going to take what they learn in Health and Gym classes and work toward a fulfilling career as a Firefighter / Paramedic?

-Joe

AVG-Joe, I don't know the last time you been in school but...

All I did in Health Class last year was do some assignments, talk about drunk driving, watch a couple movies, and do a couple tests.

Gym classes, you can do either Team Sports (Outside it's football or soccer and inside it's basketball or dodgeball).

Tennis, Weight room, or Walking are the other three options.

Trust me, if someone wants to be a Firefighter/Paramedic then Gym/Health classes are the last place to look.

Fine then allow kids to challenge the class if they like.

There is nothing wrong with education. Why do you hate education?

Neg repping me for asking you a question?

What is wrong with this type of education?

why are you so opposed to education that can save lives and decrease the costs of medical care?

we have a nation of fat children, sitting in front of their computers all day...many schools eliminated gym as a requirement for 4 years, as it was when i was in high school, this has hurt our children imo.

Gym should be mandatory, all 4 years...not just for the exercise, but for team relations.

When i was younger, and my boss, who was not even a Catholic, had a delinquent 13 year old, he enrolled him in Catholic School to straighten his kid out. One of the requirements the school put on them, in order to take his child in to this private school, was that his child be enrolled in some of their Team sports....the School felt this was important to rid the child of his juvenile delinquency... So he joined their track team....initially and then later moved to basketball... His child was STRAIGHTEN OUT and became a well behaved student....it worked.

I feel this way about gym, at least the kind of gym courses I had as a child, where we learned and played all different kinds of sports and what team work and getting along with your fellow classmates....

Again, not to sound rude but most of you are basing off your experiences when you were a child or in high school.

Things have changed, they don't teach you in Gym anymore what teamwork is or getting along with your fellow classmates.

You get dressed for Gym (If you don't then you have to take a seat on a bench.)

You go outside and wait 10-20 mins for the teachers to come and take attendence.

You play Football, walk, Tennis, Dodgeball, Basketball (in the cold seasons for the last two inside) for 20-30 mins.

You have the last 5-10 mins to go back to the Gym and get dressed for your next class.

Neg repping me for asking you a question?

What is wrong with this type of education?

why are you so opposed to education that can save lives and decrease the costs of medical care?

no--I neg repped you for totally misrepresenting what a said and your incessant partisan hackery.

no--I neg repped you for totally misrepresenting what a said and your incessant partisan hackery.

Yet you have NEVER answered the question.

Why do you oppose education which would save lives and decrease the cost of medical care?

Yet you have NEVER answered the question.

Why do you oppose education which would save lives and decrease the cost of medical care?

I have made my feelings on this issue perfectly clear. If you will kindly read my posts instead of assuming what I think you will have your answer. I really dont feel like catering to someone who will not take the time to educate themselves before they blurt out assumptions.

Again, not to sound rude but most of you are basing off your experiences when you were a child or in high school.

Things have changed, they don't teach you in Gym anymore what teamwork is or getting along with your fellow classmates.

You get dressed for Gym (If you don't then you have to take a seat on a bench.)

You go outside and wait 10-20 mins for the teachers to come and take attendence.

You play Football, walk, Tennis, Dodgeball, Basketball (in the cold seasons for the last two inside) for 20-30 mins.

You have the last 5-10 mins to go back to the Gym and get dressed for your next class.

This is yet another example of how our high schools are TOO BIG!

If we had smaller high schools you could create an atmosphere of community where kids would get more individual attention at a time they so need it acedemically and emotionally.

AVG-Joe, I don't know the last time you been in school but...

All I did in Health Class last year was do some assignments, talk about drunk driving, watch a couple movies, and do a couple tests.

Gym classes, you can do either Team Sports (Outside it's football or soccer and inside it's basketball or dodgeball).

Tennis, Weight room, or Walking are the other three options.

Trust me, if someone wants to be a Firefighter/Paramedic then Gym/Health classes are the last place to look.

That's a bummer for you. My daughter LOVES gym class, and health class. (and science and social studies and language arts, she's not a fan of math lol)

Anyway....I agree with Care, there are WAY TOO MANY FAT KIDS in America. I know it's not the schools job to reduce their weight, but maybe while playing a sport in gym, they will get interested in it and want to join a team. My daughter is on the track team and LOVES it, and trust me she's no "jock"-she's more of a rock and roller.

Maybe your school needs better gym classes!

Anyway, you will have NO PROBLEM finding a job anywhere,,,,,you have your head on straight my friend.

Last edited:
I have made my feelings on this issue perfectly clear. If you will kindly read my posts instead of assuming what I think you will have your answer. I really dont feel like catering to someone who will not take the time to educate themselves before they blurt out assumptions.

a non answer answer.

Forum List

Back