Condomns and Candy for Kintergarten Kids

So we punish everyone else who has been responsible and caring enough to do it by making their kids sit through it all again ?
Our country is already sinking because we cater to the laziest and stupidest.
After the academic part of the school day is over, all those who parents who for some reason can't teach their kids the things they are supposed to can sned their kid to after school classes. Or in summer school.

It could be an elective class. I know my daughter's school sends home notes for me to sign when they do stuff like this. She and I have the CHOICE for her to learn more about it or not. It's not like it takes up the entire school year, it's only a few hours out of 181 days of instruction.

i know this is going back 30 plus years, but I was not taught a thing about sex from my stay at home mom, other than YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE SEX UNTIL YOU ARE MARRIED....Abstinence was ALL I was taught from my strict parents....I was clueless....had girlfriend's mothers teach me more than my mom or dad. :(

i know this is going back 30 plus years, but I was not taught a thing about sex from my stay at home mom, other than YOU ARE NOT GOING TO HAVE SEX UNTIL YOU ARE MARRIED....Abstinence was ALL I was taught from my strict parents....I was clueless....had girlfriend's mothers teach me more than my mom or dad. :(

I'm sorry---that's why a sex ed class would be of value. How about we don't sacrifice academics for it ? Seriously--why does this have to be done on school time ? We already are failing our kids academically.

Palin's daughter could have used something besides "Abstinence Only."

JimH52 Wrote:
Palin's daughter could have used something besides "Abstinence Only."

Yes, you're so right. No one who has taken comprehensive sex-ed classes has ever gotten pregnant. What partisan crap!

silence wrote:

OMG, you are so right. Parents today are just way too busy to do something silly like raise their children and instill them with morals and values.

yes, because that's what I said... that school should teach MORALS and VALUES to our children.... :cuckoo:

You know what...we better start providing adequate medical, dental, and vision care for all students, not just those with parents that can't afford it...that way, parents won't have to miss work to take their kids to the doctor or dentist...and if a kids gets sick...parents can just send their little ones to school (most of them do anyway) and we can have a doctor examine them at school, free of charge...school taxes can pay for it! And if a child is really sick, we can just have a "sick wing" of the school where they can rest and recupperate right in the building. That way, the school knows where the student is and can give them some work to do...and most importantly, mommy and/or daddy can still go to work.

are you aware of how many parents actually ALREADY send their children to school sick because they can't afford to take time off from work and/or because they can't afford a doctor because they don't have insurance. Used to be schools provided a school nurse... they don't do that anymore... why?

And you know what? Parents often go to work early and stay at work late...so lets get the kids at 5AM and keep the kids till 8PM...that way we can make sure students eat three nutritious meals (gotta combat childhood obsesity, ya know!)...we can also make sure they do all their homework and then the school can spend the evening working on its "values and morals" curriculum. Then mommy and daddy can pick them up and take them home for bed...or, if they just can't make it to school after their long day at the office...the school can put them up in their dormitory for the night.

Teachers won't mind - after all, they didn't get into the profession to make money - and they've already been raising 1/2 of their students for years. Taxpayers won't mind...because we've slowly been taking more and more of their rights and responsibilities away from them for years, while charging more and more in taxes for an educational system thats an almost total failure. And parents won't mind...because it will let them get back to what is mos important to them....work!

Am I being sarcastic? Sure. Although as a teacher, I see more and more "parenting" roles being assigned to me instead of mom and dad every day. Some parents have the good sense to be upset about it....more seem like they can't hand the reins over to me fast enough.

at least you said you were being sarcastic... I was getting worried about you... LOL I have to learn to read your entire post gem before I react and fire off a response...

Part of the reason conseratives don't like it when Obama says that he wants comprehensive, age-appropriate sex education taught to students at all levels is because once again...we are giving a right of the parent to the public school (a.k.a. the government).

I think that many conservatives don't understand, either on purpose or through ignorance, that ALL parents have the right to opt out of these classes for their children...therefore, the class is available to children whose parents want it and not required for children whose parents do not want it.

It seems to me that some liberals just feel more comfortable pegging all conservatives as backwoods, religious nutters, who want to put chastity belts on our children and teach them that masturbation will send them to Hell. Nothing could be farther from the truth...the objection many conservatives have to things like this bill...is that it appears that Obama is very comfortable with the decision to make teaching his children about sexual predators, their bodies, their sexual organs, their sexual orientations, their sexual decisions, etc. the job of the public education system.

perhaps the impression would change of cons being backwards, strap a chastity belt on women, nutters if the majority didn't appear to think that sex is a dirty, taboo subject, even in this day and age....

I think we should be incredibly careful about how much power and authority we give to our public schools.

I don't disagree with you on this...

however, if anyone believes that children are being taught all they need to know about MEDICAL FACTS at home, they are naive.

Schools should be teaching the medical facts, consequences of unprotected sex....ie: disease, pregnancy

Home should be teaching the MORAL/VALUES consequences of sex before they are emotionally ready for that situation.

These go hand in hand IMO... morals/values at home...medical facts at school...

yes, because that's what I said... that school should teach MORALS and VALUES to our children.... :cuckoo:

are you aware of how many parents actually ALREADY send their children to school sick because they can't afford to take time off from work and/or because they can't afford a doctor because they don't have insurance. Used to be schools provided a school nurse... they don't do that anymore... why?

at least you said you were being sarcastic... I was getting worried about you... LOL I have to learn to read your entire post gem before I react and fire off a response...

I think that many conservatives don't understand, either on purpose or through ignorance, that ALL parents have the right to opt out of these classes for their children...therefore, the class is available to children whose parents want it and not required for children whose parents do not want it.

perhaps the impression would change of cons being backwards, strap a chastity belt on women, nutters if the majority didn't appear to think that sex is a dirty, taboo subject, even in this day and age....

I don't disagree with you on this...

however, if anyone believes that children are being taught all they need to know about MEDICAL FACTS at home, they are naive.

Schools should be teaching the medical facts, consequences of unprotected sex....ie: disease, pregnancy

Home should be teaching the MORAL/VALUES consequences of sex before they are emotionally ready for that situation.

These go hand in hand IMO... morals/values at home...medical facts at school...

School is not a substitute parent and should never be used as such---EVER.

There is NOTHING wrong with the bill. It was designed to deal with young kids in an age-appropriate way to protect them from sexual predators.

What an unworthy, goal, eh?

But it sounds good to the right wing extremist smear machine....
The right wing can't help it. They have to support their base, which includes most sex predators.

no--I'm not a retard. National honor society, college, --all that rit rot.
MY son is 19, working, in college and doing fine ty. His comment of "health class" ? Boring and a big waste of time. He already knew it all.

Put down your selective hearing aid for a second and listen.
IF you don't have time to teach your child about how to be healthy and provide them with accurate sex ed, don't waste MY kids time at school so they can teach YOUR kid.

Fine then allow kids to challenge the class if they like.

There is nothing wrong with education. Why do you hate education?

I don't get it? What is wrong with this bill? It seems pretty good to me for the most part?

The only thing that I can see as wrong is perhaps the dictation of what is to be taught coming from the state level and not from the school board level, which is really a whole different topic for discussion.

-Joe

I'm sorry---that's why a sex ed class would be of value. How about we don't sacrifice academics for it ? Seriously--why does this have to be done on school time ? We already are failing our kids academically.
after school? and how will the bussed kids get home from school? Will they postpone the busses taking kids home, so that those not taking the course after school will just have to wait for the course to get done?

Echo mentioned it being an elective, where one can choose to take the courses with parent's permission, this seems fair, where those parents rejecting such can bow their kids out of it and those that want their kids to take health/sexual education can also be considered. Why does it have to be an all or nothing?

People need to relearn the word Compromise, imo.

Care

The only thing that I can see as wrong is perhaps the dictation of what is to be taught coming from the state level and not from the school board level, which is really a whole different topic for discussion.

-Joe

in general, it doesn't come from the State level other than the guide lines or realm of what CAN BE TAUGHT....I've read that it is most certainly on a school district by school district level, and this is why the PTA is important....

after school? and how will the bussed kids get home from school? Will they postpone the busses taking kids home, so that those not taking the course after school will just have to wait for the course to get done?

Echo mentioned it being an elective, where one can choose to take the courses with parent's permission, this seems fair, where those parents rejecting such can bow their kids out of it and those that want their kids to take health/sexual education can also be considered. Why does it have to be an all or nothing?

Care

:iagree: with the idea of it being an elective.

In my school, you only take health class one quarter out of the year. The rest of the year is Gym.

Care

There is X amount of time in a school day----you are asking to TAKE AWAY time that could be used for what schools are designed to do. Teach academics. School is not a hospital, babysiter, church or sexual institution. They are failing because people cannot figure that out.
We have kids who know all about sex now----they just cant read or do math.

Forum List

Back