Condoleeza Schools Liberal College Boy About "Torture"

You'd almost have a point if the Japanese hadn't done a whole lot of other crap other than waterboarding. Unfortunately for idiotic argument they did. Beheading, bastinado as they called it in the inquisition cutting of body parts even the old bamboo under the fingernails routine as well as starvation.

Look up the Bataan Death march sometime you idiot.

Regarding the UN Conventions Against Torture, who said this...?

The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention . It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.

The core provisions of the Convention establish a regime for international cooperation in the criminal prosecution of torturers relying on so-called "universal jurisdiction." Each State Party is required either to prosecute torturers who are found in its territory or to extradite them to other countries for prosecution.

No googling either.

Those two guys, especially the first one, remind me so much of some of the people here.

3,000 people died. Justice department gave clearance.

It was not torture.

You can't go back five years and say the law was wrong then and prosecute.

Yea, it definitely reminds me so much of the people here...

The ONES that warn against Obama's "big" government; oppressive and invasive draconian changes like affordable health care for all citizens, energy independence and a fist rate education for all our children...

YET promote and defend the most oppressive and invasive draconian BIG government of all...

Justice department gave clearance.

I hope that someday some of you who are convinced that these type of actions are illegal never get to experience the loss of a loved one to terrorism because this action wasn't taken.

And you are a damned fool. How would you prove that such a thing happened? Just more obfuscation of the fact that we commited War Crimes.

It was already determined that other attacks were prevented.

Claimed... not determined. I'm sorry, but just because the Bush Admin speaks doesn't mean I believe.

But still thank you for the sentiment about not suffering the loss of a loved one.

We can disagree on this subject, and you and I do, but we need not wish harm upon those with whom we disagree.

Immie

And you are a damned fool. How would you prove that such a thing happened? Just more obfuscation of the fact that we commited War Crimes.

Claimed... not determined. I'm sorry, but just because the Bush Admin speaks doesn't mean I believe.

But still thank you for the sentiment about not suffering the loss of a loved one.

We can disagree on this subject, and you and I do, but we need not wish harm upon those with whom we disagree.

Immie

The CIA confirmed it. Obama all but agreed.

Sounds like you are saying I wish harm upon somebody? I never said that. If anything, Old Rocks wished that upon us.

If I misunderstand your statement, my apologies.

Immie

The CIA confirmed it. Obama all but agreed.

Sounds like you are saying I wish harm upon somebody? I never said that. If anything, Old Rocks wished that upon us.

If I misunderstand your statement, my apologies.

No apologies needed, but no, I was not saying that you wished harm on anyone. I thanked you because you did the exact opposite. Despite what O.R. said, which I must confess to believing had to be a joke, poorly stated but a joke none the less, you stated that you hoped that those of us who disagree with you would not suffer the loss of loved ones. I take your comments to be sincere and appreciate them.

As for the CIA patting themselves on the back and Obama confirming it, well, when bureaucrats tell me they did something for me, I look for something to hide under because the truth will be coming soon and it won't be pretty.

Immie

Last edited:

The United States participated actively and effectively in the negotiation of the Convention . It marks a significant step in the development during this century of international measures against torture and other inhuman treatment or punishment. Ratification of the Convention by the United States will clearly express United States opposition to torture, an abhorrent practice unfortunately still prevalent in the world today.

The core provisions of the Convention establish a regime for international cooperation in the criminal prosecution of torturers relying on so-called "universal jurisdiction." Each State Party is required either to prosecute torturers who are found in its territory or to extradite them to other countries for prosecution.

No googling either.

What...? Nobody cares to take a guess?

No googling either.

I believe it was reagan who negotiated and signed the ban on torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Those two guys, especially the first one, remind me so much of some of the people here.

It was not torture.

My, my, such idiocy. We hung Germans that claimed "Orders are orders". But our own people lack such a moral compass that they cannot be expected to realize that what they are doing is illegal and immoral.

I hope that someday some of you that are endorsing this type of illegal and immoral actions get to experiance them directly.

Thats a stretch and a very poor comparison. Many died at the hands of German interogations. How many died from waterboarding.

It was not torture.

My, my, such idiocy. We hung Germans that claimed "Orders are orders". But our own people lack such a moral compass that they cannot be expected to realize that what they are doing is illegal and immoral.

I hope that someday some of you that are endorsing this type of illegal and immoral actions get to experiance them directly.

Thats a stretch and a very poor comparison. Many died at the hands of German interogations. How many died from waterboarding.

Are you saying that a detainee has to die before we have the right to question these actions?

Immie

No googling either.

I believe it was reagan who negotiated and signed the ban on torture and inhumane treatment of prisoners.

Winner! We have a winner!

U.S. signs UN convention against torture

Odd that conservatives don't quote Reagan on this particular matter. It would seem that the icon...the holy grail...of the GOP would be too liberal to be a member of the current right wing-nut dominated GOP.

It was not torture.

It's settled law...Waterboarding is torture. Your opinion is irrelevant.

THE ULTIMATE LIBERAL DENIAL--If one of these superior brains had a family member that was captured by a terrorist organization--due to be beheaded within a few hours, & the CIA had caught one of them, that was NOT talking--THEY WOULD HAVE Barack Obama & Eric Holder's number on SPEED dial BEGGING them to waterboard this terrorist, in order to save their family members life.

This is not a good justification for legalizing anything.

If someone harmed my kids, I would be hard-pressed not to track that person's ass down and kill him, as brutally as possible.

Should vigilante justice then be legalized, since it is the normal and natural inclination of many of us when put into an unthinkable scenario?

Of course not.

This is a society of laws. We cannot tolerate vigilantes, whether those vigilantes are you and me, or the president himself.

NO ONE is above the law. NO ONE. I don't care what the provocation is.

Ronald Reagan.

I do not support water boarding in all cases but I believe we should use it if needed.

Which is why it's called "enhanced."

Use it as a last resort - when information is needed because there are indication of an imminent attack.

So-called "Water-boarding" -- repeated controlled drowning of a prisoner whose tied down -- is called "enhanced" or "stress" by the Bush administration and its apologists, because what would have happened if they called it "torture" like the US Govt did after WWII?

It's classic doublespeak.

I love that woman,, see how patient she was? didn't shout him down or talk over him... that's a remarkable difference in the way the left operates.

well, it's easy to be patient when one doesn't have to deal with someone as stupid as you are.

:eusa_whistle:

oh...and it IS torture. that's why we prosecuted the Japanese for doing it. :cuckoo:

No... try looking at the complete reasons for trial and conviction... there was nobody convicted on just waterboarding or harsh interrogation techniques that we use

No... try looking at the complete reasons for trial and conviction... there was nobody convicted on just waterboarding or harsh interrogation techniques that we use

Tell that to Sheriff James Parker.

IV The Texas Water Torture Case
In 1983, the Department of Justice affirmed that the use of water torture techniques was indeed criminal conduct under U.S. law. Sheriff James Parker of San Jacinto County, Texas, was charged, along with three of his deputies, for handcuffing prisoners to chairs, placing towels over their faces, and pouring water on the cloth until they gave what the officers considered to be confessions. The officers were charged with violations of the prisoners' civil rights. Count One of the Indictment asserted that the defendants conspired to:

...subject prisoners to a suffocating "water torture" ordeal in order to coerce confessions. This generally included the placement of a towel over the nose and mouth of the prisoner and the pouring of water in the towel until the prisoner began to move, jerk, or otherwise indicate that he was suffocating and/or drowning.[113]

The Sheriff and his deputies were all convicted by a jury under Count One,[114] (as well as under other counts alleging constitutional violations for the same conduct),[115] resulting in at least a four year sentence on that Count.[116] The trial included testimony of another former deputy that the Sheriff and the other Defendants "gave [a prisoner] the water treatment:"

A towel was draped over his head. He was pulled back in the chair and water was poured over the towel.

Ex-Deputy Tells Jury of Jail Water Torture, New York Times, 1 September, 1983.

The victims' testimony was strikingly familiar to other instances of water torture at other times and places:

Q: Were you frightened?
A: Yes.
Q: What were you afraid of?
A: Afraid of drowning; it was hard to breath.
Testimony of former inmate Kevin Coffman.[117]

...My hands was handcuffed up under the table and water was poured into the face of the towel until I started suffering a state of suffocation and I felt that my life was in danger.

Testimony of former inmate Craig Punch.[118]

"I thought I was going to drown."
Testimony of former inmate James Hicks.[119]

On an appeal[120] by one of the deputies the Fifth Circuit described the trial below:

Lee was indicted along with two other deputies, Floyd Baker and James Glover, and the County Sheriff, James Parker, based on a number of incidents in which prisoners were subjected to a "water torture" in order to prompt confessions to various crimes. On the morning trial was to begin, Floyd Baker's counsel informed the court and his co-defendants that Baker intended to admit the government's allegations were true but would argue that he did not have the "state of mind" required for criminal liability. Lee, Glover and Parker each intended to defend on the ground that they did not participate in any torture incidents and were unaware that any such incidents were taking place. Counsel for the other defendants immediately moved for severance. The district court deferred a ruling on these motions pending some clarification of exactly what Baker's defense and testimony would be.

At trial, Baker's defense as developed by his counsel and his testimony rested on two points. The first was that he actively participated in only a single torture episode, and then only because ordered to do so by his superiors-a "Nuremberg defense." The second was that while he believed the torture of prisoners immoral, he did not at the time think it was illegal. In the course of Baker's testimony, he identified Lee as a participant in the torture of several prisoners. Seven other witnesses also connected Lee with various torture incidents. At the close of the evidence, the district judge severed Baker, and put the case of the remaining defendants to the jury. Lee was convicted on three counts.
United States v. Lee, 744 F. 2d at 1125.[121]

Lee's conviction was affirmed on appeal, and all the defendants received substantial prison sentences.[122]

United States District Judge James DeAnda's comments at sentencing were telling. He told the former Sheriff that he had allowed law enforcement to "...fall into the hands of a bunch of thugs.... The operation down there would embarrass the dictator of a country."
Ex-Sheriff Given Ten Year Sentence, New York Times, 27 October, 1983 (emphasis added).[123]

User:Jmcneill2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited:

Tell that to Sheriff James Parker.

IV The Texas Water Torture Case
In 1983, the Department of Justice affirmed that the use of water torture techniques was indeed criminal conduct under U.S. law. Sheriff James Parker of San Jacinto County, Texas, was charged, along with three of his deputies, for handcuffing prisoners to chairs, placing towels over their faces, and pouring water on the cloth until they gave what the officers considered to be confessions. The officers were charged with violations of the prisoners' civil rights. Count One of the Indictment asserted that the defendants conspired to:

...subject prisoners to a suffocating "water torture" ordeal in order to coerce confessions. This generally included the placement of a towel over the nose and mouth of the prisoner and the pouring of water in the towel until the prisoner began to move, jerk, or otherwise indicate that he was suffocating and/or drowning.[113]

The Sheriff and his deputies were all convicted by a jury under Count One,[114] (as well as under other counts alleging constitutional violations for the same conduct),[115] resulting in at least a four year sentence on that Count.[116] The trial included testimony of another former deputy that the Sheriff and the other Defendants "gave [a prisoner] the water treatment:"

A towel was draped over his head. He was pulled back in the chair and water was poured over the towel.

Ex-Deputy Tells Jury of Jail Water Torture, New York Times, 1 September, 1983.

The victims' testimony was strikingly familiar to other instances of water torture at other times and places:

Q: Were you frightened?
A: Yes.
Q: What were you afraid of?
A: Afraid of drowning; it was hard to breath.
Testimony of former inmate Kevin Coffman.[117]

...My hands was handcuffed up under the table and water was poured into the face of the towel until I started suffering a state of suffocation and I felt that my life was in danger.

Testimony of former inmate Craig Punch.[118]

"I thought I was going to drown."
Testimony of former inmate James Hicks.[119]

On an appeal[120] by one of the deputies the Fifth Circuit described the trial below:

Lee was indicted along with two other deputies, Floyd Baker and James Glover, and the County Sheriff, James Parker, based on a number of incidents in which prisoners were subjected to a "water torture" in order to prompt confessions to various crimes. On the morning trial was to begin, Floyd Baker's counsel informed the court and his co-defendants that Baker intended to admit the government's allegations were true but would argue that he did not have the "state of mind" required for criminal liability. Lee, Glover and Parker each intended to defend on the ground that they did not participate in any torture incidents and were unaware that any such incidents were taking place. Counsel for the other defendants immediately moved for severance. The district court deferred a ruling on these motions pending some clarification of exactly what Baker's defense and testimony would be.

At trial, Baker's defense as developed by his counsel and his testimony rested on two points. The first was that he actively participated in only a single torture episode, and then only because ordered to do so by his superiors-a "Nuremberg defense." The second was that while he believed the torture of prisoners immoral, he did not at the time think it was illegal. In the course of Baker's testimony, he identified Lee as a participant in the torture of several prisoners. Seven other witnesses also connected Lee with various torture incidents. At the close of the evidence, the district judge severed Baker, and put the case of the remaining defendants to the jury. Lee was convicted on three counts.
United States v. Lee, 744 F. 2d at 1125.[121]

Lee's conviction was affirmed on appeal, and all the defendants received substantial prison sentences.[122]

United States District Judge James DeAnda's comments at sentencing were telling. He told the former Sheriff that he had allowed law enforcement to "...fall into the hands of a bunch of thugs.... The operation down there would embarrass the dictator of a country."
Ex-Sheriff Given Ten Year Sentence, New York Times, 27 October, 1983 (emphasis added).[123]

User:Jmcneill2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Funny that that was on an American citizen.. by someone who is not qualified or allowed to use such a technique.. and appears to have been without the supervision like we have when this technique is used by the military/CIA/FBI etc

Non-citizen enemy combatants are not subject to the same 'rights' that our citizens are... just as they are not subject to the same rights as military combatants under the Geneva convention

Funny that that was on an American citizen.. by someone who is not qualified or allowed to use such a technique.. and appears to have been without the supervision like we have when this technique is used by the military/CIA/FBI etc

No American agency is "qualified" to use torture for interrogation, per U.S. law. We signed the Conventions Against Torture in 1984, and it was signed and ratified by (then) President Ronald Reagan and the congress. Thus, those tactics ARE ILLEGAL. They are illegal by U.S. law, whether used against U.S. Citizens or others.

The United States is “committed to the worldwide elimination of torture and we are leading this fight by example,” Mr. Bush declared, vowing to prosecute torture and to prevent “other cruel and unusual punishment.” June 23, 2003 - International Day in Support of Victims of Torture

By the way, this is a fascinating article that spells out when the acts of torture occurred, who advocated for them, and how they ended...

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/04/us/politics/04detain.html?_r=2&partner=rss&emc=rss

Last edited:
I love that woman,, see how patient she was? didn't shout him down or talk over him... that's a remarkable difference in the way the left operates.

well, it's easy to be patient when one doesn't have to deal with someone as stupid as you are.

:eusa_whistle:

oh...and it IS torture. that's why we prosecuted the Japanese for doing it. :cuckoo:

No one was convicted for just putting out cigarette on people either. So the argumetn is the US Govt didn't consider that torture either?

Forum List

Back