Concealed Carry Permits Should be Treated Like Driver's Licenses

That would erode the principle of states' rights and make the most lenient state dictate policy to more stringent states. Much as I believe in RKBA I dont believe in over riding people's folly.

If the states can agree on basic needs for a driver's license, they can agree on basic requirements for a CCW, and then quibble on the finer points.

The recognition of the CCW is so a person isn't arrested for felony gun possession when they legally own the weapon. If a state wants to require additional training and an endorsement on the CCW, that would be fine, but violating that would be a ticket and a fine, not a felony.
You're speaking f what should be. I should be able to tke my firearm with me wherever I go in this country. I should be able to carry it loaded anywhere with very limited exceptions.
But that isnt the world we live in. States that want to restrict RKBA are legally within their powers to do so, depending on this restriction. And they are entitled to their folly and stupidity. There is a big difference between illegal andbad policy.

I agree that in an ideal world a law abiding person shouldn't need a permit for CCW, but we are in a far from ideal world.

What I want is my base rights back, such as my ability to not have to explain myself to the NYPD that I want a CCW. We can work on the next steps later. (The next steps in NY being a reduction of the crazy cost of a CCW, and the inane mag limits).

That would erode the principle of states' rights and make the most lenient state dictate policy to more stringent states. Much as I believe in RKBA I dont believe in over riding people's folly.
If the states can agree on basic needs for a driver's license, they can agree on basic requirements for a CCW, and then quibble on the finer points.
Since we're discussing the exercise of a right (as opposed to the exercise of the privilege granted by a DL)...

A state should be required to show that the CCW from another state does not meet the reasonable requirements for same -- that is, if a state has stricter requirements for its own CCW and it wants to not recognize the CCW from another state. it needs to show that the stronger standards are necessary to met a compelling state interest not covered by the lesser standards that other state.

I can't add anything to that. Well said.

Since we're discussing the exercise of a right (as opposed to the exercise of the privilege granted by a DL)...

A state should be required to show that the CCW from another state does not meet the reasonable requirements for same -- that is, if a state has stricter requirements for its own CCW and it wants to not recognize the CCW from another state. it needs to show that the stronger standards are necessary to met a compelling state interest not covered by the lesser standards that other state.
That would be funny.
TN requires an 8 hr class plus passing a written and shooting test.
Indiana requires an application and a fee.
Yet stats show basically no difference in crime rates among carry permit holders in both states.

Do you think states should be forced to accept same sex marriages from other states too?

Yes. Either states have to recognize the legal marriage of another state or they don't. If 40 year old Bubba marries his 15 year old 1st cousin Mary Sue, they are married in all 50 states...even if they don't allow 1st cousins or 15 year olds to marry.

I can appreciate the consistency of that position. Thank you.

The recognition of the CCW is so a person isn't arrested for felony gun possession when they legally own the weapon. If a state wants to require additional training and an endorsement on the CCW, that would be fine, but violating that would be a ticket and a fine, not a felony.
You're speaking f what should be. I should be able to tke my firearm with me wherever I go in this country. I should be able to carry it loaded anywhere with very limited exceptions.
But that isnt the world we live in. States that want to restrict RKBA are legally within their powers to do so, depending on this restriction. And they are entitled to their folly and stupidity. There is a big difference between illegal andbad policy.

I agree that in an ideal world a law abiding person shouldn't need a permit for CCW, but we are in a far from ideal world.

What I want is my base rights back, such as my ability to not have to explain myself to the NYPD that I want a CCW. We can work on the next steps later. (The next steps in NY being a reduction of the crazy cost of a CCW, and the inane mag limits).
The "May Issue" laws are IMO clearly unconstutitional. You do not need a reason to exercise a right. The law should be challenged in NY and overturned. But NY state has other problems. It is a county by county issue with a patchwork of laws so a permit good in one county may not be in the next county

Do you think states should be forced to accept same sex marriages from other states too?

Yes. Either states have to recognize the legal marriage of another state or they don't. If 40 year old Bubba marries his 15 year old 1st cousin Mary Sue, they are married in all 50 states...even if they don't allow 1st cousins or 15 year olds to marry.

A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. -Mill.

Do you believe that states should have to accept and recognize a CCW from another state?

The "May Issue" laws are IMO clearly unconstutitional. You do not need a reason to exercise a right. The law should be challenged in NY and overturned. But NY state has other problems. It is a county by county issue with a patchwork of laws so a permit good in one county may not be in the next county

100% correct.

Do you believe that states should have to accept and recognize a CCW from another state?

yes

Indeed. "May" issue has been struck down in those states where it has been litigated. The other issue (as in states that are abolishing licensing and permits) is that "Either a "right" is a right or it is not" If it is a "right" it shall not be infringed. Permits and a license are all infringements on the "right".

Indeed. "May" issue has been struck down in those states where it has been litigated. The other issue (as in states that are abolishing licensing and permits) is that "Either a "right" is a right or it is not" If it is a "right" it shall not be infringed. Permits and a license are all infringements on the "right".

Tell that to the guy who has to get a permit for his parade or demonstration.

Time, place, and manner restrictions have long since been accepted - right or wrong.

Time, place, and manner restrictions have long since been accepted - right or wrong.
Those arent comparable. At all.

Of course they are.

List your distinctions.

I am of the belief that a CCW should be treated like a vehicle driver's license. If you are visiting a state, your CCW issued in your state should be legal and valid, just like your driver's license. If you move to a new state, you should have a set amount of time in which to get a new CCW issued by your new state.

CCW permits, in my opinion, should not be treated like a marriage licenses.

Opinions?

I agree.

It's my right to bear arms and no state government should have the right to deny me that right

Of course they are.

List your distinctions.

Be glad to. You have the right to speak anywhere you like. Say whatever the hell you want. However, when you are going to do it in large groups, at one time, considerations such as traffic, police, cleanup must be taken into account. Not one soul is denying your right to gather and speak. No one. Now, do those in power use that as a means to "control" the process - you bet. Just like they have done with the 2nd for the last 75 years. Difference? Litigation - and a powerful lobby with powerful attorneys.

Of course they are.

List your distinctions.

Be glad to. You have the right to speak anywhere you like. Say whatever the hell you want. However, when you are going to do it in large groups, at one time, considerations such as traffic, police, cleanup must be taken into account. Not one soul is denying your right to gather and speak. No one. Now, do those in power use that as a means to "control" the process - you bet. Just like they have done with the 2nd for the last 75 years. Difference? Litigation - and a powerful lobby with powerful attorneys.

And in the case of a rally you actually have to perform the act, show up, block traffic, move in a large group. The government can't prevent you from trying, but can punish you when you break the rules.

With firearms, the government is performing prior restraint on your right, not just punishing you when you break the rules. It would be like gagging everyone in a crowded theater just in case someone yells "FIRE"

Of course they are.

List your distinctions.

The EXACT same arguments can be made for a gun permit.
You have not drawn a single distinction.
But I'm sure Rabbi appreciates your coming to his aid.

Last edited:
Concealed Carry Permits Should be Treated Like Driver's Licenses

Except for one thing:

The Constitution does NOT forbid governments in the U.S. from restricting your right to drive on public streets. Such as by requiring you pass tests, granting you a license (which they can refuse if they want to), etc.

It DOES forbid governments from restricting your right to keep and bear arms, such as by requiring you to pass tests, granting you a license (which they can refuse if they want to), etc.

Forum List

Back