Computer Help

It may not be my computer at all! It may be the modem and a bad connection,

I called my ISP and the automated thingie indicated there was a signal problem with the connection, They sent a signal and had me reconnect. Seems to be okay but am waiting to talk to a live rep.

Thanks for all the help! Just need to get another or bigger flash drive for backups.

Well, once again, my thanks to all you tried to help.

I think - am crossing my fingers - that I've solved the problem

First off, got a new modem with a much faster speed.

And then, removed my Firefox and Opera browsers and replaced them with Safari. It's taking me a bit to get used to, but there are no delays and the connections seem to be going quite well.

Everything's backed up and it's now a case of being careful in the future.

Seriously? Safari did the trick? I must say that I am amazed. Very happy that you solved your computer issues but...amazed. I had to use Safari at work for a while but after I almost threw my computer out of the office window my boss gave me a green light to install whatever I wanted.

Seriously? Safari did the trick? I must say that I am amazed. Very happy that you solved your computer issues but...amazed. I had to use Safari at work for a while but after I almost threw my computer out of the office window my boss gave me a green light to install whatever I wanted.

I may have spoken too soon. The link slows down and, if I'm quick enough, I can close Safari before it freezes my screen. I have no similar problems with IE9 but that won't allow me to capture images to save and post on forums like this.

I may go back to Opera but only with trepidation.

You should finally follow the steps I recommended or get a new pc. There are really cheap ones around.

I've seen a number of PCs for under $300 that seem to have everything I need. Will check one or two outlets today!
That should be fine, if you dont need a powerful graphics card.

I only use my PC for browing and writing. I copied all of my files to a 16GB flash drive and almost half of it is still blank!

Thanks again to all for your attempts to help.

I SOLVED THE PROBLEM. Bought a new Dell Inspiron desktop with Windows 8.1

Shocked to learn they don;t ship with MSWorks anymore - cheapstakes!

Solved that with a free download of OpenOffice and RealPlayer. Now working on getting the pictures into the system.

Don';t like the Windows8 start page and found a program that lets me convert it to Classic Windows 7.

Solved that with a free download of OpenOffice and RealPlayer. Now working on getting the pictures into the system.

Don';t like the Windows8 start page and found a program that lets me convert it to Classic Windows 7.
For those who want to change their Windows 8 configuration to a Windows 7 start menu, here's the Malware and Virus checked link: Classic Shell SourceForge.net

For those who want to change their Windows 8 configuration to a Windows 7 start menu, here's the Malware and Virus checked link: Classic Shell SourceForge.net
Classic Shell is crap. Watch the Win8 help and support thread for the many tools for Win81 I collected, use myself and offer to the folks on the board. The startisback menu is the best by far and youll get it for free.

Well, so far, I have not problem with the Classic shell and it is doing exactly what I need to feel comfortable with this new system. It is helping me find all the features in the system and allows me to use everything I need.

My only problem is missing the offline games I had to play on the HP/MS system of Vista.

But, thanks very much for all the help.

Well, so far, I have not problem with the Classic shell and it is doing exactly what I need to feel comfortable with this new system. It is helping me find all the features in the system and allows me to use everything I need.

My only problem is missing the offline games I had to play on the HP/MS system of Vista.

Its an old program for xp. It takes a minute to load after the desktop appears and it doesnt manage the hot corners and chams bar. startisback is written for Windows 8 with great care and offers all what Win7 does and even more. If you dont trust me for some strange reason, well, then stick with that pathetic classic shell. Sometimes, help isnt appreciated.

Its an old program for xp. It takes a minute to load after the desktop appears and it doesnt manage the hot corners and chams bar. startisback is written for Windows 8 with great care and offers all what Win7 does and even more. If you dont trust me for some strange reason, well, then stick with that pathetic classic shell. Sometimes, help isnt appreciated.
Why the hell do you do this? You bitched up a storm because I like the Linux features now you're giving this guy a hard time because he prefers to do things his way. Get with the program, we are not all just like you.

Why the hell do you do this? You bitched up a storm because I like the Linux features now you're giving this guy a hard time because he prefers to do things his way. Get with the program, we are not all just like you.

Thanks to EVERYONE for their efforts to help me. I truly, truly appreciate it.

I bought and use my PC for the primary reason of writing and publishing books, novels, and short stories. Therefore, the most important thing to me is being able to connect to research sites and to have a word processor that suits my needs.;

To be honest, I was quite pleased with XP and not that happy when I ended up with Vista. However, after 8 years the PC was giving me trouble and I feared losing all my files, documents, pictures, and music.

There are some things about this new Dell I haven't figured out yet. But, as someone who knows nothing about programming and doesn't do well with new computer stuff, the Win 8 start page just did not meet my comfort level. It may not be the most advanced, but this Classic Shell makes using this PC a whole lot easier for me.

With access to the internet. I've been able to slowly set this up to my own personal needs. Heck, I just figured out how to properly connect my HP Deskjet printer.

So, again thanks to all. Your efforts to help this computer dummy are truly appreciated. [I'm almost getting used to this new keyboard] :clap2::clap2::clap2:

Its the other way round. You are a Linux hardliner.
As for the menu tools, why should one use a solution with limited benefits and even major disadvantages, when far better stuff is around? Thats not about opinion as you try to suggest. Noone who uses startisback would ever switch to classic shell because it is a true solution and not an poor improvement.

As for the menu tools, why should one use a solution with limited benefits and even major disadvantages, when far better stuff is around? Thats not about opinion as you try to suggest. Noone who uses startisback would ever switch to classic shell because it is a true solution and not an poor improvement.
You're a liar and full of shit. I said mac or pcs work, used them both but I prefer Linux and said why. You got all offended and started crying about all the downsides to it, even though I know my life better than you do. What works best for people is the best thing to use. No one needs your approval.

Longknife, you need to get into a regular backup routine, maybe to a flash drive, so you don't have to worry about anything.

You're a liar and full of shit. I said mac or pcs work, used them both but I prefer Linux and said why. You got all offended and started crying about all the downsides to it, even though I know my life better than you do. What works best for people is the best thing to use. No one needs your approval.

Longknife, you need to get into a regular backup routine, maybe to a flash drive, so you don't have to worry about anything.
Dont bother others threads with your attempts to flame.

Dont bother others threads with your attempts to flame.
You flamed the OP you stupid cvnt.

Forum List

Back