Common sense: is 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on open ocean more dangerous than

Who lied and told you that the Keystone is underground?
View attachment 614230

WHERE is YOUR proof??
HERE IS MINE!
NOW who is the LIAR???

The U.S. portion of the Keystone Pipeline included 1,744 kilometres (1,084 mi) of new, 30-inch-diameter (760 mm) pipeline in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. The pipeline has a
minimum ground cover of 4 feet (1.2 m).

Beginning on the Canadian border in northeast Montana, Keystone XL will snake across South Dakota and Nebraska to Steele City. TransCanada must obtain rights for the construction right of way. According to the company, it will build Keystone XL in 10 segments, mostly during warmer months, on a total of 15,493 acres of land. The pipeline will be buried about four feet beneath the ground and require a 50-foot permanent right of way along its entire course. "Large pipeline projects are typically built in segments, or 'spreads,' so that construction can begin in several locations along the route simultaneously," TransCanada spokesman Grady Semmens says.

PLUS.... again... what is a bigger number??? 700 Barrels traveling 1 mile in the pipeline or
1 MILLION BARRELS traveling ONE mile on the OPEN OCEAN?
Remember Exxon Valdez?
exxon_valdez_0323.jpg
exxonvaldezoilyotters.png

WHERE is YOUR proof??
HERE IS MINE!
NOW who is the LIAR???

The U.S. portion of the Keystone Pipeline included 1,744 kilometres (1,084 mi) of new, 30-inch-diameter (760 mm) pipeline in North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois. The pipeline has a
minimum ground cover of 4 feet (1.2 m).

Beginning on the Canadian border in northeast Montana, Keystone XL will snake across South Dakota and Nebraska to Steele City. TransCanada must obtain rights for the construction right of way. According to the company, it will build Keystone XL in 10 segments, mostly during warmer months, on a total of 15,493 acres of land. The pipeline will be buried about four feet beneath the ground and require a 50-foot permanent right of way along its entire course. "Large pipeline projects are typically built in segments, or 'spreads,' so that construction can begin in several locations along the route simultaneously," TransCanada spokesman Grady Semmens says.
You're right, and I stand corrected. As ugly as the above ground pipe is, you can easily tell when it's leaking.
Oil is a wonderful commodity until it gets accidentally spilled in humongous quantities upon the surface of the land or the sea. But the tankers are still required to transport sweet crude around the planet. That tar sands stuff from Canada doesn't benefit us at all.

Once again... Why are you environmentalists rejecting reality?
Which has the bigger environmental impact?
A) a tanker with 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on the OPEN OCEAN, thousands of miles from help?

Exxon_oil_spill.png

B) A pipeline carrying 700 barrels over 1 mile on drylands less then 1 mile from a highway?

You're right, and I stand corrected. As ugly as the above ground pipe is, you can easily tell when it's leaking.
Oil is a wonderful commodity until it gets accidentally spilled in humongous quantities upon the surface of the land or the sea. But the tankers are still required to transport sweet crude around the planet. That tar sands stuff from Canada doesn't benefit us at all.
But at least the oil tankers in the Gulf of Mexico are less prone to accidents than on the Northwest coast line...again where did Exxon Valdez occur? I'd rather it be shipped to Lousiana refined that purified and shipped by oil tankers to China! Versus shipped by oil tanker in the Northwest Ocean areas.

But at least the oil tankers in the Gulf of Mexico are less prone to accidents than on the Northwest coast line...again where did Exxon Valdez occur? I'd rather it be shipped to Lousiana refined that purified and shipped by oil tankers to China! Versus shipped by oil tanker in the Northwest Ocean areas.
The Exxon Valdez spilled in Prince William Sound near Alaska.

The Pacific is always going to be much rougher than the Gulf of Mexico, but it was a drunk man at the helm, not a storm that spilled the Exxon Valdez when she ran aground.

The Exxon Valdez spilled in Prince William Sound near Alaska.

The Pacific is always going to be much rougher than the Gulf of Mexico, but it was a drunk man at the helm, not a storm that spilled the Exxon Valdez when she ran aground.
Regardless.. it was a larger spill because Exxon Valdez carried Exxon Valdez was carrying 53.1 million US gallons (1,260,000 bbl; 201,000 m3) of oil, of which approximately 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; ...
But more importantly, while it was human error... it was a large spill by an oil tanker carrying 53.1 million gallons of oil!
That's the point... which will cause more environmental damage 1 million barrels in an oil tanker on the open ocean traveling 1 mile OR 1 mile of pipeline carrying 700 barrels???

Regardless.. it was a larger spill because Exxon Valdez carried Exxon Valdez was carrying 53.1 million US gallons (1,260,000 bbl; 201,000 m3) of oil, of which approximately 10.8 million US gallons (260,000 bbl; ...
But more importantly, while it was human error... it was a large spill by an oil tanker carrying 53.1 million gallons of oil!
That's the point... which will cause more environmental damage 1 million barrels in an oil tanker on the open ocean traveling 1 mile OR 1 mile of pipeline carrying 700 barrels???
The sea bearing tanker will always make the bigger mess. But why "1 mile of pipeline"? Surely you know that they aren't ever that short.

700 barrels traveling one mile on dry land underground?
So why did Biden as did Obama cancel a pipeline that would be
A) part of a system that the White House says..
"White House admits pipelines are 'safest' way to transport oil"

B) part of 185,000 miles pipelines:that have spilled an average of 5 gallons per mile.
Nearly 9 million gallons of crude oil have spilled from pipelines in the United States since 2010.
(9 million spilled gallons of divided by 185,000 miles of pipeline divided by 6 years or 8 gallons/year/mile.)
So common sense. FACTs. Statistics all support.
8 gallons of spilled oil per mile per year VS 55 million gallons traveling one mile on open ocean per day!
Please defenders of Biden's cancelling Keystone... defend it!
Refute the White House acknowledging pipelines safest way!
Refute that 8 gallons per mile per year is more dangerous than 55 million gallons/mile/day!

This tar sand oil is extremely corrosive. It will cause leaks and will be hard to find. It is junk and we don't need this junk.

I appreciate your recognizing the difference.
I just don't understand why common sense, i.e. 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on open ocean versus 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land is difficult to comprehend? Especially when the attached map show the nearly more than 190,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines traverse the United States

So why was Keystone singled out???

pipelinesandgasinUSA031122.png

I appreciate your recognizing the difference.
I just don't understand why common sense, i.e. 1 million barrels traveling 1 mile on open ocean versus 700 barrels traveling 1 mile on dry land is difficult to comprehend? Especially when the attached map show the nearly more than 190,000 miles of liquid petroleum pipelines traverse the United States

So why was Keystone singled out???

View attachment 614262
The Keystone pipeline is chugging along just fine as we speak, and has been for a long time now. What got singled out was the proposed shortcut that didn't get built.

The sea bearing tanker will always make the bigger mess. But why "1 mile of pipeline"? Surely you know that they aren't ever that short.
OH geez.... I'm comparing which carries more oil???
1 oil tanker traveling 1 mile with 1 million barrels OR
1 mile of a pipeline carry ONLY ONLY ONLY 700 barrels!
Understand the difference?
Also why was Keystone singled out of 190,000 miles of oil/gas pipelines in the USA?
So even simpler... If there was an oil spill which would have more oil to spill?
An OIL tanker carrying 1 million barrels OR a pipeline carrying in ONE mile 700 barrels?
Understand?
Oil moves through pipelines at speeds of 3 to 8 miles per hour.
So if an oil spill occurred in a pipeline and it takes 3 hours to stop the pipeline,
assuming oil flows at 8 miles/hour in 3 hours 2,100 barrels would be spilled.
VS a potential of 1 million barrels with an Oil tanker!

OH geez.... I'm comparing which carries more oil???
1 oil tanker traveling 1 mile with 1 million barrels OR
1 mile of a pipeline carry ONLY ONLY ONLY 700 barrels!
Understand the difference?
Also why was Keystone singled out of 190,000 miles of oil/gas pipelines in the USA?
So even simpler... If there was an oil spill which would have more oil to spill?
An OIL tanker carrying 1 million barrels OR a pipeline carrying in ONE mile 700 barrels?
Understand?
Oil moves through pipelines at speeds of 3 to 8 miles per hour.
So if an oil spill occurred in a pipeline and it takes 3 hours to stop the pipeline,
assuming oil flows at 8 miles/hour in 3 hours 2,100 barrels would be spilled.
VS a potential of 1 million barrels with an Oil tanker!
I see your reasoning, but find it unnecessary. It may take 3 hours to stop an oil pipeline after a leak is detected. There was a story about a guy in Alaska that shot the above ground Alaskan pipeline with his rifle thinking that it wouldn't penetrate; it did. He freaked and took off. By the time that the pool was detected in was an enormous leak.

I see your reasoning, but find it unnecessary. It may take 3 hours to stop an oil pipeline after a leak is detected. There was a story about a guy in Alaska that shot the above ground Alaskan pipeline with his rifle thinking that it wouldn't penetrate; it did. He freaked and took off. By the time that the pool was detected in was an enormous leak.
Crews put a clamp over a hole in the trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline on Saturday, slowing a leak that has spewed 285,000 gallons of oil into the tundra over the past three days.
In what the governor called "a hare-brained act of violence," a man who had been drinking shot the pipeline Thursday with a hunting rifle. Before the clamp was installed, oil under high pressure sprayed through a small hole onto about two acres of trees, brush and tundra.
OK... at 55 gallons per barrel..or 5,181 barrels.
The pipeline spilled at the rate of 72 barrels per hour for 3 days.
An accident just like Exxon Valdez... except that accident was 250,000 barrels!

AGAIN... which has the bigger potential for damage? A 1 million barrel oil tanker or a pipeline carrying 700 barrels in one mile?

How enormous, 10 BBL?

Crews put a clamp over a hole in the trans-Alaska Oil Pipeline on Saturday, slowing a leak that has spewed 285,000 gallons of oil into the tundra over the past three days.
In what the governor called "a hare-brained act of violence," a man who had been drinking shot the pipeline Thursday with a hunting rifle. Before the clamp was installed, oil under high pressure sprayed through a small hole onto about two acres of trees, brush and tundra.
OK... at 55 gallons per barrel..or 5,181 barrels.
The pipeline spilled at the rate of 72 barrels per hour for 3 days.
An accident just like Exxon Valdez... except that accident was 250,000 barrels!

AGAIN... which has the bigger potential for damage? A 1 million barrel oil tanker or a pipeline carrying 700 barrels in one mile?
The Saudis monitor pipelines in real time for pressure and flow rate from a central location.

700 barrels traveling one mile on dry land underground?
So why did Biden as did Obama cancel a pipeline that would be
A) part of a system that the White House says..
"White House admits pipelines are 'safest' way to transport oil"

B) part of 185,000 miles pipelines:that have spilled an average of 5 gallons per mile.
Nearly 9 million gallons of crude oil have spilled from pipelines in the United States since 2010.
(9 million spilled gallons of divided by 185,000 miles of pipeline divided by 6 years or 8 gallons/year/mile.)
So common sense. FACTs. Statistics all support.
8 gallons of spilled oil per mile per year VS 55 million gallons traveling one mile on open ocean per day!
Please defenders of Biden's cancelling Keystone... defend it!
Refute the White House acknowledging pipelines safest way!
Refute that 8 gallons per mile per year is more dangerous than 55 million gallons/mile/day!

BECAUSE THE ENVIRONMENTAL ASSESSMENT REPORT SAID IT WAS A DANGER TO THE GROUNDWATER.

YOU COULD HAVE GOOGLED THE ANSWER YOU DIMWITTED ASSHOLE.

Forum List

Back