Common sense gun regulations--need to be passed now.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Ban semi-automatic weapons and 30 round gun clips. Worth debating about.
2. People with existing semi-automatics & ammo be required to keep them in a locked secure gun case, and required to maintain an insurance liability policy on that weapon in order to keep them. Insurance should be maintained on firearms.
3. Parents of children & teenagers are required to keep all of their guns & ammo in locked secure gun safes, inaccessible at all times to their kids. I am all for a gun safe and locking up weapons to keep from children.
4. No private sales. If someone wants to sell their gun, it has to be dropped off at a licensed gun dealer for resale so a background check can be done. I would suggest the licensed dealer mediate the sale so the background check can be done.
5. Background checks including extended mental health checks before any purchase of a gun is made. Define the mental health checks, It needs to be specific in order for the government to take away a right.
6. Straw buyers of guns, those who buy guns for others, be under the same prosecutable standards as those that pull the trigger. Don't agree
7. Those that are on a no fly list, or FBI terrorist watch list not be able to purchase any guns or ammo. No, absolutely not, there are people on the no fly list that should never been on there. I think Ted Kennedy was on a no fly list at on time.

If these simple regulations were in place--there would have never been a Las Vegas, a Sandy Hook, a Columbine massacre, a church in Texas, San Diego slaughter, Orlando, Florida massacre, a Virginia Tech etc. etc. etc., and 15 young kids and 2 teachers that were killed yesterday would be here today. I respectfully disagree.

You won't convince Republicans to do any of this. They are OWNED by the NRA, and right wing gun extremists, and will fight (tooth & nail) on any new gun regulations. They are more interested in the donations they get from the NRA than keeping the public and our schools safe. More partisan BS which does nothing to further the discussion, just hampers any real change.

If you're tired of all the condolences & sympathies, then do something about it. Vote for Democrats in the midterm election cycle this coming November for common sense gun regulations. This silly statement takes you from sensible gun control to a using this as a political tool which is disgusting.

Started out as a good thread to promote discussion and ended in just a partisan rant to inject politics and division.

"Define Mental health background?"
Obviously someone who has been seen for odd behavior, mental health counselors & physc's, problem people, violent people, & or with a record of being violent and obtrusive behavior--publicly threatening, etc.

Straw buyers? What's your issue with that? If you can't pass a background check and you send a buddy in to buy a gun for you--why is it that they get off scott free, after you slaughter people? This is how the San Bernadino massacre happened. Guns were purchased by a staw buyer.
Alleged buyer of guns used in San Bernardino shooting may face several charges

There is nothing silly about my comments about Republicans. You know as well as I do--Republicans won't do Jack Shit on any gun control bill. In fact, here is what they did with Obama's requirement on mental health after the Sandy Hook Massacre.

Within his first two months as president, Donald Trump repealed without public display an Obama administration gun regulation that prevented certain individuals with mental health conditions from buying firearms.
Trump repeals an Obama regulation keeping guns from people with certain mental health conditions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...e-texas-mass-shooting/?utm_term=.bea6e9fd5d6c

f694907ca3f3ef5d714409c5d4734877--gun-control-political-cartoons.jpg

Last edited:
So nothing about the root cause?

Like single mothers, violence on television, movies, video games, in music.....

Other countries have those things and don’t have regular school shootings...

I would rather get shot walking down the sidewalk then acid in the face.

Britain is one of the worst countries in the world for acid attacks per person, it has been revealed

You realize a gun will kill you? You can’t be this dumb.
Are you a gang member? This is mostly a gang on gang thing...

Here are my suggestions.
2. People with existing semi-automatics & ammo be required to keep them in a locked secure gun case, and required to maintain an insurance liability policy on that weapon in order to keep them. Insurance should be maintained on firearms.
3. Parents of children & teenagers are required to keep all of their guns & ammo in locked secure gun safes, inaccessible at all times to their kids. I am all for a gun safe and locking up weapons to keep from children.
4. No private sales. If someone wants to sell their gun, it has to be dropped off at a licensed gun dealer for resale so a background check can be done. I would suggest the licensed dealer mediate the sale so the background check can be done.
5. Background checks including extended mental health checks before any purchase of a gun is made. Define the mental health checks, It needs to be specific in order for the government to take away a right.
6. Straw buyers of guns, those who buy guns for others, be under the same prosecutable standards as those that pull the trigger. Don't agree
7. Those that are on a no fly list, or FBI terrorist watch list not be able to purchase any guns or ammo. No, absolutely not, there are people on the no fly list that should never been on there. I think Ted Kennedy was on a no fly list at on time.

If these simple regulations were in place--there would have never been a Las Vegas, a Sandy Hook, a Columbine massacre, a church in Texas, San Diego slaughter, Orlando, Florida massacre, a Virginia Tech etc. etc. etc., and 15 young kids and 2 teachers that were killed yesterday would be here today. I respectfully disagree.

You won't convince Republicans to do any of this. They are OWNED by the NRA, and right wing gun extremists, and will fight (tooth & nail) on any new gun regulations. They are more interested in the donations they get from the NRA than keeping the public and our schools safe. More partisan BS which does nothing to further the discussion, just hampers any real change.

If you're tired of all the condolences & sympathies, then do something about it. Vote for Democrats in the midterm election cycle this coming November for common sense gun regulations. This silly statement takes you from sensible gun control to a using this as a political tool which is disgusting.

Started out as a good thread to promote discussion and ended in just a partisan rant to inject politics and division.

Obvioulsy someone who has been seen for odd behavior, mental health counselors & physc's, problem people, violent people, & or with a record of being violent and obtrusive behavior.

Straw buyers? What's your issue with that? If you can't pass a background check and you send a buddy in to buy a gun for you--why is it that they get off scott free, after you slaughter people? This is how the San Bernadino massacre happened. Guns were purchased by a staw buyer.

There is nothiing silly about my comments about Republicans. You know as well as I do--Republicans won't do Jack Shit on any gun control bill. In fact, here is what they did with Obama's requirement on mental health after the Sandy Hook Massacre.

Within his first two months as president, Donald Trump repealed without public display an Obama administration gun regulation that prevented certain individuals with mental health conditions from buying firearms.
Trump repeals an Obama regulation keeping guns from people with certain mental health conditions
https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...e-texas-mass-shooting/?utm_term=.bea6e9fd5d6c

Mental health does not mean violent in fact those with mental health issues tend to be less violent and probably a victim of violence than those without mental health issues. So I am concerned with the lumping of people with mental health issues and the inability to buy a weapon as a violation of due process and Constitutional rights. Those with mental health issues, just like those with physical health issues can also heal and become productive members of society. Also many with mental health issues become obtrusive because the people handling them are not understanding them. Lots of misinformation is out there.
Mental Health Myths and Facts | MentalHealth.gov

The political BS from you is just grandstanding and propaganda and serves no useful purpose and taints your arguments significantly, just my opinion.

Here are my suggestions.

Obviously someone who has been seen for odd behavior, mental health counselors & physc's, problem people, violent people, & or with a record of being violent and obtrusive behavior--publicly threatening, etc.

There is nothing silly about my comments about Republicans. You know as well as I do--Republicans won't do Jack Shit on any gun control bill. In fact, here is what they did with Obama's requirement on mental health after the Sandy Hook Massacre.

For the millionth time it has been illegal for the past 50 years now ... Obama's EO was about agency's reporting it.

Ok let's make a deal they can report it if states have to report about their voting records..

States like California has to report about their illegal violent crime and abortion stats ..

Deal?

Britain is one of the worst countries in the world for acid attacks per person, it has been revealed

Again you stupid fuck I would rather take my chances with a bullet then acid.

Yeah so how the fuck you going to get guns away from gang bangers when most of them it illegal for them to own them because of felony's

Here are my suggestions.

For the millionth time it has been illegal for the past 50 years now ... Obama's EO was about agency's reporting it.

Ok let's make a deal they can report it if states have to report about their voting records..

States like California has to report about their illegal violent crime and abortion stats ..

Deal?

I don't think oreo or the left want deals, why compromise when you can demand everything and get nothing then complain.

See the far left still uses the same old religious talking points and none of it will stop any of these things, just make the far left feel better about their deranged religious dogma.

OK--so this year we have 18 school shootings, and it's not even March yet. Yesterday in Florida 15 young people with their entire lives in front of them, along with 2 school teachers trying to protect them were massacred. Then we have Las Vegas. Then a church in Texas were generations of family members were wiped out. We have a movie theatre in Aurora Colorado, then San Diego were a straw buyer purchased semi-automatics for a slaugther there, and Orlando, Florida another one. And Sandy Hook where 5 to 7 year olds were slaughtered.

People have called for better gun regulations in this country and it has continually fallen on deaf ears. Republicans are owned by the NRA and right wing gun extremists.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Ban semi-automatic weapons and 30 round gun clips.
2. People with existing semi-automatics & ammo be required to keep them in a locked secure gun case, and required to maintain an insurance liability policy on that weapon in order to keep them.
3. Parents of children & teenagers are required to keep all of their guns & ammo in locked secure gun safes, inaccessible at all times to their kids.
4. No private sales. If someone wants to sell their gun, it has to be dropped off at a licensed gun dealer for resale so a background check can be done.
5. Background checks including extended mental health checks before any purchase of a gun is made.
6. Straw buyers of guns, those who buy guns for others, be under the same prosecutable standards as those that pull the trigger.
7. Those that are on a no fly list, or FBI terrorist watch list not be able to purchase any guns or ammo.

If these simple regulations were in place--there would have never been a Las Vegas, a Sandy Hook, a Columbine massacre, a church in Texas, San Diego slaughter, Orlando, Florida massacre, a Virginia Tech etc. etc. etc., and 15 young kids and 2 teachers that were killed yesterday would be here today.

You won't convince Republicans to do any of this. They are OWNED by the NRA, and right wing gun extremists, and will fight (tooth & nail) on any new gun regulations. They are more interested in the donations they get from the NRA than keeping the public and our schools safe.

RogerR20120424_low.jpg

If you're tired of all the condolences & sympathies, then do something about it. Vote for Democrats in the midterm election cycle this coming November for common sense gun regulations.

None of these will prevent and evil-sick person from acquiring weapons on the black market in order to kill people.

What they will accomplish is to make law-abiding people less able to defend themselves and others.

Don't you love how leftists say drug laws are wrong because you can't prevent people from making bad decisions, then with gun laws they say, oh, that will work ...

Countries with strong gun control don’t have a mass shooting problem.

And they don't have the 2nd amendment for the millionth time or 600 million guns.

So the second kills ours children.

Liberals had killed over 50 million children since 1973 and you don't consider it a problem, why is this a problem?

It's a problem for brain because guns mean that people are still resisting the governments

Florida proved that not having a gun will kill you

There hasn't been 18 school shootings this year this false number is including suicides and accidental firearm discharges.
You obviously do not understand the functioning of a semi-automatic weapon, Functionally a .223 hunting rifle is no different than a AR-15. With a little practice there is no significant firing time difference between using a 30 round clip and a 10 round clip.

So you want to tell people what they can and cannot do in there own homes ? I have been around fire arms my entire life at no time have mine been locked away in anything more substantial than a glass cased gun cabinet neither me or my children have gone on a shooting spree nor have there been any accident discharges. Why ? Because as I was taught responsible gun ownership the same as my children and when it is time my grandchildren will get the same.

Telling people what they can and can not do with their private property.

If someone buys a weapon for someone else and they commit a crime they can be charged, so ?

What is the criteria for being in the no fly list ? If you are on the list for no fault of your own how do you get off?

Everything you have mentioned will not stop people from shooting others all you and other Liberals are calling for is more government intrusion into individual lives.

And when the "common sense gun laws" fail, as have the 20,000 already on the books, because they all fail to address the real cause, then the Left will conclude they simply have not gone FAR ENOUGH instead of in the wrong direction. Soon this will lead to MORE and TOUGHER gun laws making it next to impossible to buy guns or ammunition or use them sportingly, and then finally when THAT fails and the shootings continue, they will say we have come this far, time for EMERGENCY MEASURES and ban guns outright. Then people will be totally defenseless, only the criminals will have them, and crime and panic will soar as criminals will know that the whole country is now a "gun-free zone" and theirs for the taking. When the Left have ultimately driven us to a POLICE STATE, THEN they will be happy they've fulfilled their agenda to make America a Socialist Fascist State of TOTAL GOVERNMENT CONTROL, and they will run the government.

There are no single mothers in the other nations? No video games, no loud music, violence on TV? What is the big difference is that there is easy access to guns, guns that are designed only for killing people. Look at how many of the mass killings are done with those weapons. Time for action, the hell with prayers and sympathy.

You have nothing to offer in anything we could possibly compromise on.
No leverage to negotiate with ... No legal standing for your position.

The only thing you could possibly have is a threat ... Go pound sand ... :thup:

You want no more mass killings?? Do what the AUSSIES did ,,banned auto ,semi automatic weapons and shot guns

Your variables play into the cause but so does excessive amount of guns, the most deadly guns, in our country and lax gun laws.
Lets work on all variables leading to the mass killings INCLUDING MORE COMMON SENSE GUN REGULATIONS.

Your variable may all plays into the cause but so does excessive amount of guns and the most deadly guns in our country and lax gun laws.
Lets work on all variables leading to the mass killings INCLUDING MORE COMMON SENSE GUN REGULATIONS.

We don't have lax gun laws.

1. We have lax enforcement of the gun laws we already have.

OK--so this year we have 18 school shootings, and it's not even March yet. Yesterday in Florida 15 young people with their entire lives in front of them, along with 2 school teachers trying to protect them were massacred. Then we have Las Vegas. Then a church in Texas were generations of family members were wiped out. We have a movie theatre in Aurora Colorado, then San Diego were a straw buyer purchased semi-automatics for a slaugther there, and Orlando, Florida another one. And Sandy Hook where 5 to 7 year olds were slaughtered.

People have called for better gun regulations in this country and it has continually fallen on deaf ears. Republicans are owned by the NRA and right wing gun extremists.

Here are my suggestions.
1. Ban semi-automatic weapons and 30 round gun clips.
2. People with existing semi-automatics & ammo be required to keep them in a locked secure gun case, and required to maintain an insurance liability policy on that weapon in order to keep them.
3. Parents of children & teenagers are required to keep all of their guns & ammo in locked secure gun safes, inaccessible at all times to their kids.
4. No private sales. If someone wants to sell their gun, it has to be dropped off at a licensed gun dealer for resale so a background check can be done.
5. Background checks including extended mental health checks before any purchase of a gun is made.
6. Straw buyers of guns, those who buy guns for others, be under the same prosecutable standards as those that pull the trigger.
7. Those that are on a no fly list, or FBI terrorist watch list not be able to purchase any guns or ammo.

If these simple regulations were in place--there would have never been a Las Vegas, a Sandy Hook, a Columbine massacre, a church in Texas, San Diego slaughter, Orlando, Florida massacre, a Virginia Tech etc. etc. etc., and 15 young kids and 2 teachers that were killed yesterday would be here today.

You won't convince Republicans to do any of this. They are OWNED by the NRA, and right wing gun extremists, and will fight (tooth & nail) on any new gun regulations. They are more interested in the donations they get from the NRA than keeping the public and our schools safe.

RogerR20120424_low.jpg

If you're tired of all the condolences & sympathies, then do something about it. Vote for Democrats in the midterm election cycle this coming November for common sense gun regulations.

None of these will prevent and evil-sick person from acquiring weapons on the black market in order to kill people.

What they will accomplish is to make law-abiding people less able to defend themselves and others.

Don't you love how leftists say drug laws are wrong because you can't prevent people from making bad decisions, then with gun laws they say, oh, that will work ...

Indeed. It just like how they say the Science Is Settled on Global Warming...errr Manmade Climate Change....but somehow DNA encoded sex is a fluid social construct.

Our forefathers never intended to use the 2nd amendment as an excuse to slaugher innocent American citizens.
nobody ever has and nobody uses it for that, that bogus claim is just a liberal strawman, you don't get to take the constitution away from America just because you are not getting your way...many on the right are sure the founding fathers never intended the first amendment to cover pornography, or flag burning, beside, the left wing explanation for things that [may] have not been the intention of the framers is that the document is a living evolving document designed to cover the rights of the people and protect certain rights [unalienable] of the minority needs/opinion from that of the majority...and they are right...an American will always err on the side of peoples rights

Last edited:
You want no more mass killings?? Do what the AUSSIES did ,,banned auto ,semi automatic weapons and shot guns

It doesn't have anything to do with what I want ... You have nothing to offer.
You cannot promise what you cannot provide ... And I am not obligated to entertain your desires.
I don't want anything you have ... You have nothing to negotiate with ... Go pound sand ... :thup:

There are no single mothers in the other nations? No video games, no loud music, violence on TV? What is the big difference is that there is easy access to guns, guns that are designed only for killing people. Look at how many of the mass killings are done with those weapons. Time for action, the hell with prayers and sympathy.

You have nothing to offer in anything we could possibly compromise on.
No leverage to negotiate with ... No legal standing for your position.

The only thing you could possibly have is a threat ... Go pound sand ... :thup:

Wrong...they did not stop mass killings...that is a lie.....dumb luck has kept them safe.....they have had numerous incidents of shooters in public spaces with guns....who simply didn't shoot more people, or did 't kill the ones they hit....

This is a lie that you keep pushing...

Please explain how Australian gun control laws kept these individuals from shooting more people...Australian gun crime is going up, not down, and they have been living on dumb luck since they banned guns...

Timeline of major crimes in Australia - Wikipedia
  • 16 January 1998 to 15 June 2009 – Melbourne gangland killings – A series of 35 murders of crime figures and their associates that began with the slaying of Alphonse Gangitano in his home, most likely by Jason Moran, the latest victim being Des Moran who was murdered in Ascot Vale on 15 June 2009.
  • 3 August 1999 – La Trobe University shooting – Jonathan Brett Horrocks walked into the cafeteria at La Trobe university in Melbourne, Victoria, armed with a 38-calibre revolver handgun and opened fire, killing cafeteria manager Leon Capraro and wounding a woman who was a student at the university.
21st century[edit]
2000s[edit]
  • 13 March 2000 – Millewa State Forest Murders – Barbara and Stephen Brooks and Stacie Willoughby were found dead, all three having been shot execution style and left in the forest.[62][63]
  • 16 July 2001 – Peter James Knight, an anti-abortion activist, walked into an abortion clinic in East Melbourne armed with a rifle. Knight shot dead security guard Stephen Gordon Rogers and was later overpowered by staff in the abortion clinic. After his arrest, Knight was charged and convicted of murder. He was sentenced to life in prison.
  • 26 May 2002 – A Vietnamese man walked into a Vietnamese wedding reception in Cabramatta Sydney, New South Wales armed with a handgun and opened fire wounding seven people.
  • 14 October 2002 – Dr. Margret Tobin, the South Australian head of Mental Health Services, was shot dead by Jean Eric Gassy as she walked out of a lift in her office building.
  • 21 October 2002 – Monash University shootingHuan Xiang opened fire in a tutorial room, killing two and injuring five.
  • 25 October 2003 – Greenacre double murder – A man and a woman are shot dead in a house in the suburb of Greenacre, Sydney which was the result of a feud between two Middle Eastern crime families. Twenty-four-year-old Ziad Abdulrazak was shot 10 times in the chest and head and 22-year-old Mervat Hamka was shot twice in the neck while she slept in her bedroom. Up to 100 shots were fired into the house by four men who were later arrested and convicted of the murders.
  • 18 February 2006 – Cardross Hit and Run – Thomas Graham Towle crashed his car at high speed into a group of 13 teenagers, killing six and injuring seven near the town ofCardross, Victoria.[73]
  • 18 June 2007 – Melbourne CBD shooting – Christopher Wayne Hudson opened fire on three people, killing one and seriously wounding two others who intervened when Hudson was assaulting his girlfriend at a busy Melbourne intersection during the morning peak. He gave himself up to police in Wallan, Victoria on 20 June.[75]

An expidited list.....

Here is a list of shootings in Australia...notice, they are all after they banned and confiscated guns...tell me....how did Australian gun laws stop these from becoming mass shootings?

I will quote a few....read the rest....

Timeline of major crimes in Australia - Wikipedia

• 3 August 1999 – La Trobe University shooting – Jonathan Brett Horrocks walked into the cafeteria in La Trobe university in Melbourne Victoria armed with a 38 caliber revolver handgun and opened fire killing Leon Capraro the boss and manager off the cafeteria and wounding a woman who was a student at the university.
If he had decided to keep shooting...would Australian gun laws have kept this from being a mass shooting?
Tell me...this doesn't count as a mass shooting...only because more of the victims didn't die...7 people shot......did Australian gun laws stop it from being a mass shooting?

• 26 May 2002 – A Vietnamese man walked into a Vietnamese wedding reception in Cabramatta Sydney, New South Wales armed with a handgun and opened fire wounding seven people.
Another one.....this shooter couldn't clear his rifle...so he only killed 2...the new standard for a mass shooting incident is 3 dead victims...so how did Australian gun laws keep this from being a mass shooting...rather than just dumb luck....?
And had this guy decided to keep shooting.....would Australian gun laws have stopped him? And kept this from being a mass shooting?

• 18 June 2007 – Melbourne CBD shooting – Christopher Wayne Hudson opened fire on three people, killing one and seriously wounding two others who intervened when Hudson was assaulting his girlfriend at a busy Melbourne intersection during the morning peak. He gave himself up to police in Wallan, Victoria on 20 June.[71]

• 28 April 2012 – A man opened fire in a busy shopping mall in Robina on the Gold Coast shooting Bandidos bikie Jacques Teamo. A woman who was an innocent bystander was also injured from a shotgun blast to the leg. Neither of the victims died, but the incident highlighted the recent increase in gun crime across major Australian cities including Sydney, Brisbane and Adelaide.[citation needed]
this guy actually went into a mall......with a gun......after they banned and confiscated them...
  • 8 March 2013 – Queen Street mall siege – Lee Matthew Hiller entered the shopping mall on Queen Street Brisbane Queensland armed with a revolver and threatened shoppers and staff with the revolver, causing a 90-minute siege which ended when Hiller was shot and wounded in the arm by a police officer from the elite Specialist Emergency Response Team. Hiller was then later taken to hospital and was treated for his injury; he pleaded gulity to 20 charges and was sentenced to four-and-a-half years in jail with a non-parole period of two years and three months.[citation needed]
How did Australian gun control laws keep this shooting from being a muslim terrorist mass shooting? An immigrant to Australia got a gun in a country where they banned and confiscated them and now claim their gun control laws have stopped mass shootings...

• 15 December 2014 – 2014 Sydney hostage crisis – Seventeen people were taken hostage in a cafe in Martin Place, Sydney by Man Haron Monis. The hostage crisis was resolved in the early hours of 16 December, sixteen hours after it commenced, when armed police stormed the premises. Monis and two hostages were killed in the course of the crisis.[87]
And how did Australian gun control keep this shooting from being a mass shooting?

• 10 September 2015 – A 49-year-old woman is shot dead in a Mc Donald's restaurant in Gold Coast by her 57-year-old ex partner, who then turned the gun on himself afterwards and shot himself dead.
And had this kid walked into his school.....as a muslim immigrant and simply shot 3 kids....it would have been an act of muslim terrorism and a mass shooting ....again, luck saved Australia, not their gun control laws...
  • And how did Australian gun laws keep these muslim teenager from going to a school with this gun and shooting a bunch of students?

Sydney police HQ shooting linked to terrorism: police commissioner

The actions of the 15-year-old gunman who shot dead a New South Wales police civilian employee were an act of terrorism, police say.

The radicalised youth of Middle Eastern background has been named as Farhad Jabar Khalil Mohammad.

He killed the police employee, Curtis Cheng, as he was leaving police headquarters at Parramatta in Sydney's west around 4:30pm yesterday.

The offender then fired several more shots at officers as they emerged from the building to respond to the incident.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back