Comments On My Stupid Ballot

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Madeline, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Meh, I am allowed to vote by mail so I do. I'm gonna be manning a polling station for a candidate on voting day, and that's enough standing/waiting/interacting with my fellow man for me. So I have the Ohio/Cuyahoga County ballot now and I have noticed a few stupid things about it.

* It has been translated into Spanish. The DOJ threatened to sue Cuyahoga County if it they refused, so they caved. Why, you ask?

How much did this cost, you ask?

Cuyahoga elections board agrees to limited bilingual ballots this year, countywide next year | cleveland.com

And that's not counting the salaries of every County or DOJ professional who frittered away time on this bullshit issue. I bet if I were voting on a Spanish ballot, I could tell who the candidates for Governor were. Governor = Gobernador. Gee, what're the odds? This change lengthened the ballot to two pages (guess how many handling errors that'll cause?) and this without any initiatives on it. Government sux sometimes.

Here's the other oddball thing: any political science major will tell you, the position of a candidate's name is important -- the first position will get more votes just by accident. But on my ballot, the positions are scrambled; the candidates for Governor lead off with the Green Party guy, the one for Attorney General has the Libertarian Party guy first, etc. If a voter locates his choice on the first candidate and assumes the arrangement is the same all over the ballot, his intent will be defeated.

Lastly, even though Ohio has finally agreed to allow judicial candidates to post their party affiliations, they are not on the ballot. You might feel judge races are unimportant, but two Common Pleas judges are now under indictment here in a corruption scandal that's been rocking this area for years. I think the Democrats, who are still in office, may have declined to identify their candidates to help shield them from public outrage. If so, and a Republican judge loses in a close race I hope he sues for a new election.

All in all, my advice is if you are going to stand on line to vote November 2nd, get a copy of your ballot in advance and read it carefully....there are mebbe some surprises in it.

2. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,214
    They had to print instructions in Spanish so the illegals would know how to vote.
    This is what America great, Democratic voter fraud.

3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Everyone thinks that, The Rabbi. The Puerto Ricans who live here never approached the County registrar and requested this. It's just so fucking underhanded.

Cuyahoga County is a big heaping pile of corruption and DOJ has nothing better to do than trot out a 1965 law so they can piss and moan about our ballots are not in Spanish? Give me a break.

4. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    One last comment on my stupid ballot. About half the judicial races have candidates who are running unopposed. These people are almost certainly Democrats; in any event, they are not Republicans as they are not listed on the RPCC website as endorsed.

We do a whole lot of bitching on here, and it's all good. But yanno, the ultimate commitment to politics is offering yourself up as a candidate. If you are dissatisfied with the field that your party slated, consider contacting them and asking what it would take for them to consider you in the next election cycle. Obviously you have to be a lawyer to be a judge...but anyone with a respectable background could be a candidate for a local office.

Just a thought. Happy voting!

5. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    San Francisco ballots were printed in four languages (English, Chinese, Japanese and Spanish) back when I lived there in the early 80s

they also used the punch cards that Palm Beach County made famous back in 2000.

Peurto Ricans are not illegals, and they don't speak english down there. We could kick them loose, maybe. Then they would be.

6. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I fully support independence for Puerto Rico, Baruck. As for voting, I say we bring back the old machines with party-based levers. One pull, and you have voted the straight Republican (or Democrat, or Green, or Libertarian) ticket.

I've never actually seen such a machine IRL, though. I have always voted on paper ballots, with punch pins or bubbles you color in.

7. theDoctorisIn

theDoctorisIn Senior Mod Staff Member Senior USMB Moderator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,932
    New York had the lever machines until this year, now we've got scantron bubble sheets.

I miss the "chunka" sound the old machines made when you pulled the lever across.

8. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    Then why not Swedish, Portuguese, Mandarin Chinese, Korean, Canadian (ha ha), Slavic, Farsi, Arabic, Celtic, etc.? Why just Spanish? Why is it just the Mexicans that can't learn the language?

Oh, wait, I can answer that... because they are the numero uno group of illegal immigrants and must be catered to for votes!
    Fuck 'em.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010
  9. Baruch Menachem

Baruch Menachem '

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,305
    In SF, Chinese and Japanese are there.

I think here in Multnomah County, the Vietnamese would have a better claim than the Hispanics. In Washington County, it would be different.

10. Soggy in NOLA

Soggy in NOLA Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,415
    If you can't read or speak the language, how informed a voter can one be?