Commando-style assault on Afghan jail frees scores of Taliban inmates

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
KABUL — Heavily armed Taliban insurgents in military garb stormed a major prison in Afghanistan on Monday, battling security forces and freeing more than 350 inmates and fellow insurgents in a bold attack.

The commando-style strike — beginning with a truck bomb blast at the prison entrance — marked one of the Taliban’s largest operations since the July acknowledgment of the death of the group’s reclusive leader, Mohammad Omar.

...At least four police officers and several insurgents were killed in a gun battle that lasted several hours, according to Mohammad Ali Ahmadi, Ghazni’s deputy governor. Several prisoners were wounded, he said.
Commando-style assault on Afghan jail frees scores of Taliban inmates

Now there is a massive manhunt on.

I wonder how far up the chain the prisoners went in taliban command.

I do too. I also wonder if this was orchestrated from inside as well.

There, infiltration is so easy, from what I understand, sadly. Whether through threats, allegiance or money. Trust is not a commodity there.

There, infiltration is so easy, from what I understand, sadly. Whether through threats, allegiaQUOTE]
There, infiltration is so easy, from what I understand, sadly. Whether through threats, allegiance or money. Trust is not a commodity there.

No, trust is not a commodity ; and it is very possible that intelligence from within was give to the outside. VERY possible. The guard next to you, lining you up to be killed over a few lousy bucks.

It happens. Overseas one has to be careful, very careful and practice situational awareness and pay attention to detail.

People acting uneasy, quiet, overly talkative, failing to perform a certain personal or professional routine, different demeanor.....and a host of other "quirks" that can tell you that something is up.

Cover and concealment, always have an escape route, use shadows at night...and day time to your advantage. Have a place to retreat to and have a secondary / backup plan.

Shadow 355

watta surprise------the terrorists are doing terrorism

Some do not do terrorism.

Some scout buildings and public locations. Some follow important or influential people. Some are strictly couriers and some are simply the "Money People"

Some people are mistaken. A terrorist does not always dress up in "garb" and carry an AK-47.

A terrorist might be the female in the skirt at the computer in the large financial company.

A terrorist might be a guy whom is in the maintenance department at the oil refinery in Texas.

A terrorist might be the 20 year old whom is a computer student at a college.

A terrorist might be an engineer for a large city.

Different flavors, sizes of terrorist ; and they are not restricted to the male sex. And a female terrorist can plant a car bomb and shoot a rifle or handgun just as good as a male terrorist. Women ....as I described in my first book - have the advantage because they are taken less seriously and/or are made to not obey or conform to security standards at a certain locale. And women are more inclined to get a males trust, than another guy ; in the sense of privileged information, important and restricted information about security and/or operations or important personnel.

A terrorist is a terrorist = male or female , 16 years of age or 60 years of age. And I would shoot - "Double tap" - one in the head regardless of sex or age. It me or them. Its my co-workers or them. Soooo, guess whom gets the 6 foot deep hole.

Shadow 355

Security teams post outside the compound ( One example - three teams = Front, Side and at a 45 degree angle ). This prevents reinforcements form entering and prevents anyone from escaping.

Assault team(s) enter and perform the assault - rescue - sabotage - plant explosives...ect.

Assault team withdraws from the objective / target while the security teams covers their withdraw.

Ideally, a good assault is planned for near dusk, as to have darkness to help in aiding evasion. And their are tricks to perform if you suspect or know of dog teams following you.

More than likely DISR....intel came from inside the compound.

Trust huh.

Shadow 355

Doesn't look like the Afghanis are able to fight their own fight against the Taliban yet...

Taliban Overrun the Afghan City of Kunduz
Sep 28, 2015 | The Taliban Monday largely seized a major Afghan city, storming government compounds and sending panicked residents fleeing, as the Islamists for the first time breached a provincial capital since being ousted from power in 2001.
Fierce fighting raged in the northern city of Kunduz as marauding insurgents freed hundreds of prisoners from the local jail, set government buildings on fire and hoisted their trademark white flag over the homes of officials. The Taliban's incursion into Kunduz barely nine months after the NATO combat mission ended marks a major psychological blow to the country's Western-trained security forces. "The Taliban have taken the city but our forces are still putting up resistance in some areas," Kunduz police spokesman Sayed Sarwar Hussaini told AFP, adding that promised reinforcements from Kabul were awaited.

kunduz-attack-map-600.jpg

Scores of bodies littered the streets after hours of heavy fighting, Afghan media reported citing local residents, many of whom were making a hasty exit from Kunduz. Many were fleeing to the city's main airport, which is still in government control, but some complained they were being turned away by security forces. The city was swarming with Taliban fighters racing police vehicles, who overran the governor's compound and the local police headquarters.

The local headquarters of the National Directorate of Security, the country's main intelligence agency, was set on fire, a security official told AFP on condition of anonymity. Saad Mukhtar, head of a 200-bed government hospital, said the Taliban had control of the building and were hunting for wounded Afghan troops. "Yes, the enemy is in the city and they have taken over the prison and other buildings, but reinforcements will be deployed and the city will be taken back," interior ministry spokesman Sediq Sediqqi told AFP. The new Taliban leader Mullah Akhtar Mansour in a statement congratulated his cadres over the "major victory".

Huge setback

See also:

US Military Launches Strike on Afghan City Taken by Taliban
Sep 29, 2015 | The U.S. military carried out an airstrike on Tuesday on the northern Afghan city of Kunduz, which was captured by the Taliban the previous day in a major setback to the government of Afghan President Ashraf Ghani.
On the ground, Afghan forces were regrouping to try and take back this city of nearly 300,000 people -- the first urban area seized by the Taliban since the 2001 U.S.-led invasion that ousted their regime. The city fell Monday, after hundreds of Taliban gunmen launched a coordinated, multi-pronged attack at several points around the city. After a day of fierce fighting, they managed to overrun government buildings and hoisted their flag in the city square. The fast-moving assault took the military and intelligence authorities by surprise. U.S. Army Col. Brian Tribus, the spokesman for the U.S. and NATO missions in Afghanistan, said the early Tuesday morning airstrike was conducted "in order to eliminate a threat to the force" -- though there were no foreign troops left inside the city. He did not elaborate if more airstrikes would follow.

taliban-prisoners-walk-ts600.jpg

Taliban prisoners walk on a street after their comrades released them from the main jail in Kunduz, north of Kabul, Afghanistan

Afghanistan rushed military reinforcements to the region and began an operation to retake the city, according to a Defense Ministry statement. A newly-built police headquarters and the prison in Kunduz were already freed from the Taliban and taken back, the statement said. That claim could not independently be verified as the city was off limits to media. Residents, reached over the phone by The Associated Press, said sporadic gunfire could still be heard around the city on Tuesday morning. They spoke on condition of anonymity, fearing for their safety. During the Taliban assault on the city on Monday, the insurgents had freed around 600 inmates -- including 144 members of the Taliban -- from Kunduz prison, officials said.

In Kabul, the National Security Council was to meet later Tuesday over the fall of Kunduz, a government official said, speaking on condition of anonymity to discuss government plans. The International Red Cross said it had evacuated two of its three international staff from Kunduz, flying them to the nearby city of Mazar-I-Sharif. The U.N. office in Kunduz was also evacuated. The city's fall comes as Ghani marks one year office. The president, who has staked his presidency on pledges of bringing peace to Afghanistan and who seeks to draw the Taliban to peace talks, was to address the nation later Tuesday. Kunduz is one of the largest and wealthiest cities in Afghanistan, and the surrounding province, also called Kunduz, is one of the country's chief breadbaskets. It lies on a strategic crossroads connecting Afghanistan to Pakistan, China and Central Asia.

US Military Launches Strike on Afghan City Taken by Taliban | Military.com

Forum List

Back