Combating Wheat Rust-Good or Bad?

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
In the Luddite atmosphere observed on the ATM thread, perhaps mass starvation is a better alternative than genetic engineered disease resistant crops?

Science for the win: New wheat variety beats superbug, has higher yield | SciGuy | a Chron.com blog

Science for the win: New wheat variety beats superbug, has higher yield

Some 90 percent of the wheat grown in the world today is susceptible to a new form of wheat rust, a crop-killing virus dubbed the “polio of agriculture.”

Older forms of wheat rust spoiled crops for millenia before scientists developed varieties of wheat that could resist it. But recently agriculture researchers have become concerned about a nasty variant of wheat rust known as UG99 that is rapidly spreading beyond East Africa, where it was first found in 1999...

Bet you did NOT know that the Luddites were not anti-technology, did you?

Of course not, because the word Luddite was perverted way back when that social movement happened.

In fact the luddites were the weavers who'd bought into the advanced techolopgy of looms and they were the most techologically advanced manufacturers of cloth in the world.

What they were really objecting to was the BUSINESS MODEL which took looms out of their cottage industries and put them in mass effort capitalistic SWEAT SHOPS.

Hey, what's the point of being an historian if I can't be there to educate people like you about what BS we've all been taught by the masters' propagandists, eh?

Last edited:
Bet you did NOT know that the Luddites were not anti-technology, did you?

Of course not, because the word Luddite was perverted way back when that social movement happened.

In fact the luddites were the weavers who'd bought into the advanced techolopgy of looms and they were the most techologically advanced manufacturers of cloth in the world.

What they were really objecting to was the BUSINESS MODEL which took looms out of their cottage industries and put them in mass effort capitalistic SWEAT SHOPS.

Hey, what's the point of being an historian if I can't be there to educate people like you about what BS we've all been taught by the masters' propagandists, eh?

Actually I knew that, but thanks. I was using the term as currently understood.

Forum List

Back