Colorado Sen. Campbell Won't Run Again

MtnBiker

Sep 28, 2003
Rocky Mountains
March 3, 2004 05:29 PM EST

DENVER - Republican Sen. Ben Nighthorse Campbell, who has been troubled by health problems and a scandal involving a longtime aide, abruptly announced Wednesday that he will not seek a third term this fall.

The retirement gives Democrats an open seat to target in November as they attempt to regain control of the Senate, where the GOP holds a majority of 51-48 with one Democrat-leaning independent.

Campbell, 70, a Cheyenne tribal chief who is the only American Indian in the Senate, has faced questions about his health since last year, when he acknowledged undergoing treatments for prostate cancer. Last week, he was examined in a Washington hospital after experiencing mild chest pains that turned out to be heartburn.

"After spending another night in the hospital, I realize the deteriorating health may hamper my ability to serve," said Campbell. "Doctors have assured me that after treatment for prostate cancer, the recovery rate is 98 percent. But I believe Coloradans deserve a 100 percent guarantee of service."

Campbell is the third Republican Senator to retire this year. Five Democrats also have announced retirement plans, and the GOP hopes to pad its majority by winning some or all of a string of Southern seats where the Democrats are stepping down.

http://start.earthlink.net/newsarticle?cat=9&aid=D8135OM80_story

The control of the senate will be interesting to watch this election season.

Democrats still have more seats to defend. Republicans have a good chance of picking up Edwards, Grahams, and Millers seats to name a few. This will be a pretty good election for the Republicans.

Democrats will have a strong chance at that seat. Edwards' seat will likely stay Democrat - Erskine Bowles is running again. Graham's seat will stay Democrat as well, the Republicans look to be running Bill McCollum again, someone who is far too conservative for many Floridians ( he once proposed a bill to put children as young as 10 years old in adult prisons with adults. The Republicans best shot is in Georgia.

acludem

Forum List

Back