Colorado Legalizes Weed for Recreational Use

Is there a lawyer in the house?

My recollection of federal law regarding mary jane is that it is part and parcel of the commerce clause in the Constitution. The purchase or sale is a taxable event requiring a 'Tax Stamp' from the Federal Government (Treasury Department) to be considered a legal transaction. Is there some sort of agreement with the State of Colorado that the Federal Government will not enforce Federal Tax laws on this issue?

If a product is produced and sold within one state how does the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT have any right over it?

They do so by lying...they say that since it might go over state lines it is subject to the FEDERAL LAWS.

THAT is their entire justification for imposing FEDERAL LAWS on marijuana.

hey, they are running out legitimate business so hope the stoners can sustain the state...they won't have jobs, they all require DRUG testing these days.... but the guberment will take care of them I'm sure

like Commifornia, Colorado is going down the drain with their elected idiots

hey, they are running out legitimate business so hope the stoners can sustain the state...they won't have jobs, they all require DRUG testing these days.... but the guberment will take care of them I'm sure

Unless you work with machinery or your company has a strict drug policy, most drug tests are for cause only, i.e. you have to show up stoned to work.

Plenty of pot users run perfectly normal lives, they just like to toke up when they get home.

Interesting how all the "States Rights" constitutionalists abandon their alleged constitutional principles on this particular issue.

Interesting, but not the least bit surprising of course, since they're all fos hypocrites. :thup:

Unless you work with machinery or your company has a strict drug policy, most drug tests are for cause only, i.e. you have to show up stoned to work.

Plenty of pot users run perfectly normal lives, they just like to toke up when they get home.

Just pointing out a fact dear
I was drug tested to work at convenient /self serve pumping their own gas store
All I ran was the register
Marijuana builds up and stays in your system for a long time and what happens if you move to another state?
Just some thing I was thinking about all this

Last edited:
Is there a lawyer in the house?

My recollection of federal law regarding mary jane is that it is part and parcel of the commerce clause in the Constitution. The purchase or sale is a taxable event requiring a 'Tax Stamp' from the Federal Government (Treasury Department) to be considered a legal transaction. Is there some sort of agreement with the State of Colorado that the Federal Government will not enforce Federal Tax laws on this issue?

The 1937 Marijuana Tax Act was declared unconstitutional in 1969.

Why did it take a constitutional amendment to outlaw the sale of alcohol? Yet the Federal Government was able to make a back room deal (without consulting the medical profession) and legislate it to illegality.

it didnt take an amendment to make alcohol illegal locally. There were plenty of dry states and counties before prohibition kicked in. The amendment idea was due to the fact that prohibition supporters knew they needed the power of an amendment to override the inital backlash they knew was coming from urban areas. They figured once people saw how wonderful the world got that prohibition would become self enforcing.

This quote from JD Rockerfeller, a intial supporter of Prohibition and a 3rd generation tee-totaler himself, sums up the problem with it:

“When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before.”

The point is the Feds needed an amendment to override the states. With that law(1937), which in principle was based on a similar law outlawing Tommy Guns with a prohibitive tax, was a way around the amendment process. An amendment banning Cannabis\Hemp simply would not have passed and it would be up to the States and locals.

Marijuana builds up and stays in your system for a long time and what happens if you move to another state?

I guess that company had a strict no drug policy.

The other question is were they testing for weed or just the hard stuff?

The other question is were they testing for weed or just the hard stuff?[/QUOTE]

all of it
And the schools in my state has a strict no drug/alcohol policy too
If they just Think you're abusing it, even on your own time they can demand you be tested...It's to be seen how this is going to work out I guess

The 1937 Marijuana Tax Act was declared unconstitutional in 1969.

Why did it take a constitutional amendment to outlaw the sale of alcohol? Yet the Federal Government was able to make a back room deal (without consulting the medical profession) and legislate it to illegality.

it didnt take an amendment to make alcohol illegal locally. There were plenty of dry states and counties before prohibition kicked in. The amendment idea was due to the fact that prohibition supporters knew they needed the power of an amendment to override the inital backlash they knew was coming from urban areas. They figured once people saw how wonderful the world got that prohibition would become self enforcing.

This quote from JD Rockerfeller, a intial supporter of Prohibition and a 3rd generation tee-totaler himself, sums up the problem with it:

“When Prohibition was introduced, I hoped that it would be widely supported by public opinion and the day would soon come when the evil effects of alcohol would be recognized. I have slowly and reluctantly come to believe that this has not been the result. Instead, drinking has generally increased; the speakeasy has replaced the saloon; a vast army of lawbreakers has appeared; many of our best citizens have openly ignored Prohibition; respect for the law has been greatly lessened; and crime has increased to a level never seen before.”

The point is the Feds needed an amendment to override the states. With that law(1937), which in principle was based on a similar law outlawing Tommy Guns with a prohibitive tax, was a way around the amendment process. An amendment banning Cannabis\Hemp simply would not have passed and it would be up to the States and locals.

Ah, you mean like medical care is left up to the States because it's not in the Constitution as a Federal power?

all of it
If they just Think you're abusing it, even on your own time they can demand you be tested...It's to be seen how this is going to work out I guess

Is that a private school or a government school? I don't see how a government school could do that without due process.

The other question is were they testing for weed or just the hard stuff?[/QUOTE]

all of it

Most companies based thier policies on the fact that Pot was illegal. Thus they had a basis for disipline actions based on pot just being in the system, not pot being at active levels when a person is at work.

Legalizing may make it just like alcohol use for most jobs, you cant have active levels in your system, but they shouldnt fire you for having traces.

They said in Reefer Madness that just one hit from a joint will throw the user into a violent rage. January 1, 2014, saw over $1m in legal marijuana sales in Colorado. Thousands of people bought high-potency weed and smoked it. That was one week ago.

What percentage of those Colorado potheads have since gone insane and murdered their families?

Forum List

Back