Color Me Shocked!!!

Perhaps the most telling evidence that even the Hemings descendants are aware that Thomas Jefferson was not the father of Sally Hemings' child is the refusal to participate in DNA testing.

1. Certainly any of us would like to be able to claim a President of the United States in our family tree. The Hemings family would. So, it makes sense that they would not participate in any endeavor which would cast doubt on the claim.

"After several months of research I was able to locate and identify a second Hemings DNA source, William Hemings, a son of Madison Hemings [Sally's eldest son], in a Veteran's, Cemetery in Leavenworth, Kansas. I notified the Hemings family, gave them forms and urged them to permit a gathering of thate valuable DNA. At the same time I advised Monticello President Dan Jordan, and suggested he urge the Hemings to pemit the gathering of a second Hemings DNA. He [Jordan] refused to contact them, suggesdted that I contact them, but cautioned me against undue pressure. All eight Hemings family members refused to permit the test, and their spokesperson, Shay Banks-Young, informed me that they are happy with their oral family history and will never give permission."

"A Year at Monticello -- 1795," by Donald Jackson, p. 91-92

Perhaps the most telling evidence that even the Hemings descendants are aware that Thomas Jefferson was not the father of Sally Hemings' child is the refusal to participate in DNA testing.

1. Certainly any of us would like to be able to claim a President of the United States in our family tree. The Hemings family would. So, it makes sense that they would not participate in any endeavor which would cast doubt on the claim.

"After several months of research I was able to locate and identify a second Hemings DNA source, William Hemings, a son of Madison Hemings [Sally's eldest son], in a Veteran's, Cemetery in Leavenworth, Kansas. I notified the Hemings family, gave them forms and urged them to permit a gathering of thate valuable DNA. At the same time I advised Monticello President Dan Jordan, and suggested he urge the Hemings to pemit the gathering of a second Hemings DNA. He [Jordan] refused to contact them, suggesdted that I contact them, but cautioned me against undue pressure. All eight Hemings family members refused to permit the test, and their spokesperson, Shay Banks-Young, informed me that they are happy with their oral family history and will never give permission."

"Shortly after the DNA test results were released in November 1998, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation formed a research committee consisting of nine members of the foundation staff, including four with Ph.D.s. In January 2000, the committee reported that the weight of all known evidence--from the DNA study, original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data--indicated a high probability that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Eston Hemings, and that he was likely the father of all six of Sally Hemings's children listed in Monticello records--Harriet (born 1795; died in infancy); Beverly (born 1798); an unnamed daughter (born 1799; died in infancy); Harriet (born 1801); Madison (born 1805); and Eston (born 1808)."
Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: A Brief Account | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

"How did Jefferson acquire his slaves?
Jefferson acquired most of the over six hundred slaves he owned during his life through the natural increase of enslaved families. He acquired approximately 175 slaves through inheritance: about 40 from the estate of his father, Peter Jefferson, in 1764, and 135 from his father-in-law, John Wayles, in 1774. Jefferson purchased fewer than twenty slaves in his lifetime, in some cases to unite spouses and in others to satisfy labor needs at Monticello."
Property | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

600 slaves and he didn't fuck the pretty ones? Not a chance.

Last edited:
This latest missive from City Journal just came in....

....and pertains to two groups which share a number of characteristics.

And....relates to a third group with an ingrained propensity.

The first two groups....Asians and Jewish folks.

1. ".... in a federal civil rights complaint charging Harvard University with discrimination against Asian-American applicants. The complaint documents a pattern of bias, at Harvard and other Ivy League colleges, that, in its methods and its impact, closely parallels the imposition of de facto Jewish quotas at these schools in the 1920s. By spotlighting how racial preferences for other minorities have ironically contributed to this reprise of Harvard’s bigoted past, with Asians playing the role of modern-day Jews, the plaintiffs hope to prompt the Supreme Court to overturnBakkev. Regents of the University of California, its 1978 decision allowing the use of such preferences in college admissions. For, as the complaint starkly illustrates, whatever merit affirmative action may once have had, it is a policy relic of an essentially biracial society of the 1970s that has become ludicrous in the multiracial America of 2016.

2. The anti-Semitic history is eye-popping. Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz calls the Harvard Plan “one of the most shameful episodes in the history of American higher education in general, and of Harvard College in particular.” The SFA complaint draws on Dershowitz’s research and that of sociologist Jerome Karabel, whose 2005 bookThe Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princetonchronicles this story.

As early as 1907, the dean of financial aid expressed his preference for “sons of families that have been American for generations” rather than the “increasing class [of] foreigners, and especially the Russian Jews.”

3. Admissions records at Harvard and other elite colleges over the past quarter-century reveal an uncannily similar treatment of Asian-Americans. Asians, of course, have often been termed the “New Jews” in reference to their focus on academic achievement. But as Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Golden observed in a chapter with that title in his 2006 book The Price of Admission: How America’s Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges—and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates, this status has also meant “inheriting the mantle of the most disenfranchised group in college admissions. The nonacademic admissions criteria established to exclude Jews, from alumni child status to leadership qualities, are now used to deny Asians.”

4. To put it another way: Asians need SAT scores 140 points higher than whites, 270 points higher than Hispanics, and an incredible 450 points higher than blacks (out of 1,600 points) to get into these schools. An Asian applicant with an SAT score of 1,500, that is, has the same chance of being accepted as a white student with a 1,360, a Latino with a 1,230, or an African-American with a 1,050. Among candidates in the highest (1,400–1,600) SAT range, 77 percent of blacks, 48 percent of Hispanics, 40 percent of whites, and only 30 percent of Asians are admitted."
Fewer Asians Need Apply by Dennis Saffran, City Journal Winter 2016

Now this: the very same political perspective is responsible for the discrimination.
Yup...

Liberals and Progressives.

Color me shocked!

I've actually heard this discussion in that there are people who say if there weren't a de facto quota every ivy would be almost all Asian. i'm not a big quota person, but that's the argument.

This latest missive from City Journal just came in....

....and pertains to two groups which share a number of characteristics.

And....relates to a third group with an ingrained propensity.

The first two groups....Asians and Jewish folks.

1. ".... in a federal civil rights complaint charging Harvard University with discrimination against Asian-American applicants. The complaint documents a pattern of bias, at Harvard and other Ivy League colleges, that, in its methods and its impact, closely parallels the imposition of de facto Jewish quotas at these schools in the 1920s. By spotlighting how racial preferences for other minorities have ironically contributed to this reprise of Harvard’s bigoted past, with Asians playing the role of modern-day Jews, the plaintiffs hope to prompt the Supreme Court to overturnBakkev. Regents of the University of California, its 1978 decision allowing the use of such preferences in college admissions. For, as the complaint starkly illustrates, whatever merit affirmative action may once have had, it is a policy relic of an essentially biracial society of the 1970s that has become ludicrous in the multiracial America of 2016.

2. The anti-Semitic history is eye-popping. Harvard Law professor Alan Dershowitz calls the Harvard Plan “one of the most shameful episodes in the history of American higher education in general, and of Harvard College in particular.” The SFA complaint draws on Dershowitz’s research and that of sociologist Jerome Karabel, whose 2005 bookThe Chosen: The Hidden History of Admission and Exclusion at Harvard, Yale, and Princetonchronicles this story.

As early as 1907, the dean of financial aid expressed his preference for “sons of families that have been American for generations” rather than the “increasing class [of] foreigners, and especially the Russian Jews.”

3. Admissions records at Harvard and other elite colleges over the past quarter-century reveal an uncannily similar treatment of Asian-Americans. Asians, of course, have often been termed the “New Jews” in reference to their focus on academic achievement. But as Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Golden observed in a chapter with that title in his 2006 book The Price of Admission: How America’s Ruling Class Buys Its Way into Elite Colleges—and Who Gets Left Outside the Gates, this status has also meant “inheriting the mantle of the most disenfranchised group in college admissions. The nonacademic admissions criteria established to exclude Jews, from alumni child status to leadership qualities, are now used to deny Asians.”

4. To put it another way: Asians need SAT scores 140 points higher than whites, 270 points higher than Hispanics, and an incredible 450 points higher than blacks (out of 1,600 points) to get into these schools. An Asian applicant with an SAT score of 1,500, that is, has the same chance of being accepted as a white student with a 1,360, a Latino with a 1,230, or an African-American with a 1,050. Among candidates in the highest (1,400–1,600) SAT range, 77 percent of blacks, 48 percent of Hispanics, 40 percent of whites, and only 30 percent of Asians are admitted."
Fewer Asians Need Apply by Dennis Saffran, City Journal Winter 2016

Now this: the very same political perspective is responsible for the discrimination.
Yup...

Liberals and Progressives.

Color me shocked!

I've actually heard this discussion in that there are people who say if there weren't a de facto quota every ivy would be almost all Asian. i'm not a big quota person, but that's the argument.
Race_IQ_Sketch_OrderFlipped.PNG

"Shortly after the DNA test results were released in November 1998, the Thomas Jefferson Foundation formed a research committee consisting of nine members of the foundation staff, including four with Ph.D.s. In January 2000, the committee reported that the weight of all known evidence--from the DNA study, original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data--indicated a high probability that Thomas Jefferson was the father of Eston Hemings, and that he was likely the father of all six of Sally Hemings's children listed in Monticello records--Harriet (born 1795; died in infancy); Beverly (born 1798); an unnamed daughter (born 1799; died in infancy); Harriet (born 1801); Madison (born 1805); and Eston (born 1808)."
Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings: A Brief Account | Thomas Jefferson's Monticello

1. "...-indicated a high probability ..."

Look at what the 'probability' is based on....the first part of the sentence.
Not DNA evidence.
This is the basis of the 'high probability:' original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data

Here's an 'original document:'
2. Jefferson did deny all the accusations made against him, except for the singular one related to a Mrs. Walker, in private correspondence to his Secretary of the Navy, Robert Smith. This was after the accusations by Callender, and he wrote:

"You will perceive that I plead guilty to one of their charges, that when young and single I offered love to a handsome lady. I acknowledge its incorrectness. It is the only one founded in truth among all their allegations against me." --Thomas Jefferson to Robert Smith, July 1, 1805.

3. Notice that he acknowledged the truth of the charges related to Mrs. Walker concerning an incident that occurred when he was a young man, and before he had married. The letter to Smith was written well after Callender's charges with respect to his reputed fathering of children by his slave, and Jefferson's response was that the charge related to Mrs. Walker was "the only one founded in truth."

That response leaves no doubt whatever that he was denying the charges that he had children by any of his slaves."
Jeffersonian Perspective: DNA & Sally Hemings

Did Jefferson think that slavery was profitable?
In Virginia, unlike the Caribbean, enslaved women achieved fertility rates that allowed for a self-reproducing slave population. Planters could satisfy the demand for slave labor without having to import slaves from Africa. Many slaveowners, including Jefferson, understood that female slaves—and their future children—represented the best means to increase the value of his holdings, what he called “capital.” "I consider a woman who brings a child every two years as more profitable than the best man of the farm," Jefferson remarked in 1820. "What she produces is an addition to the capital, while his labors disappear in mere consumption." An enslaved couple, Minerva and Bagwell Granger, came close to fulfilling Jefferson's disturbing calculation; they had nine children between 1787 and 1810.

Not DNA evidence.
This is the basis of the 'high probability:' original documents, written and oral historical accounts, and statistical data

2. Jefferson did deny all the accusations made against him, except for the singular one related to a Mrs. Walker, in private correspondence to his Secretary of the Navy, Robert Smith. This was after the accusations by Callender, and he wrote:

"You will perceive that I plead guilty to one of their charges, that when young and single I offered love to a handsome lady. I acknowledge its incorrectness. It is the only one founded in truth among all their allegations against me." --Thomas Jefferson to Robert Smith, July 1, 1805.

3. Notice that he acknowledged the truth of the charges related to Mrs. Walker concerning an incident that occurred when he was a young man, and before he had married. The letter to Smith was written well after Callender's charges with respect to his reputed fathering of children by his slave, and Jefferson's response was that the charge related to Mrs. Walker was "the only one founded in truth."

That response leaves no doubt whatever that he was denying the charges that he had children by any of his slaves."
Men lie, this isn't new.

In Virginia, unlike the Caribbean, enslaved women achieved fertility rates that allowed for a self-reproducing slave population. Planters could satisfy the demand for slave labor without having to import slaves from Africa. Many slaveowners, including Jefferson, understood that female slaves—and their future children—represented the best means to increase the value of his holdings, what he called “capital.” "I consider a woman who brings a child every two years as more profitable than the best man of the farm," Jefferson remarked in 1820. "What she produces is an addition to the capital, while his labors disappear in mere consumption." An enslaved couple, Minerva and Bagwell Granger, came close to fulfilling Jefferson's disturbing calculation; they had nine children between 1787 and 1810.

Good to see you've given up any suggestion that DNA evidence supports Thomas Jefferson as fathering children with Sally Hemings.

Will an apology be following?

Not DNA evidence.

Men lie, this isn't new.

More proof of the old saying, 'We only judge others by ourselves.'

I love autobiographical posts.

Good to see you've given up any suggestion that DNA evidence supports Thomas Jefferson as fathering children with Sally Hemings.

Will an apology be following?
The links from the people who run Monticello say TJ was the father. Why that is so hard for your to accept I couldn't say. Masters fuck slaves, this isn't new.

Maybe you don't know men the same way you don't know history...

Forum List

Back