College vs. Vocations or The Modern Work Ethic.

BorisTheAnimal

It's Just Boris
Apr 26, 2013
West end of the Erie Canal
One of my FB friends I'm going to get to know real well in my next career move. He's the driver rep for Trailways of New York and we got into a discussion over modern attitudes towards so-called "manual" jobs. I think that it's unfortunate that jobs like passenger/freight transportation, building trades, etc. are looked down upon if not outright sneered at by our "educated" elites. Now don't get me wrong, college is there for specific fields of study that require it, but not everyone, no matter how smart they may have been in K-12 schooling, is "college material" (yours truly included). Their passions may lie elsewhere. Which is why I don't think college should be "encouraged" (re: forced) upon our children unless their passion/desire/life goals require it directly. For example, if my daughter wants to follow in the "family biz" and become a driver herself? By all means I will encourage it and perhaps mentor her directly. But if college is in her sights? Then by all means I will encourage that also. /rant

Funny,

We're the most hard worked nation in the entire western world and you don't think we're worked hard enough??? lol, lol, lol Seriously, College is the best way to go if you have the brains as becoming a doctor, scientist, or real thinker is more needed then fruit picker.

One of my FB friends I'm going to get to know real well in my next career move. He's the driver rep for Trailways of New York and we got into a discussion over modern attitudes towards so-called "manual" jobs. I think that it's unfortunate that jobs like passenger/freight transportation, building trades, etc. are looked down upon if not outright sneered at by our "educated" elites. Now don't get me wrong, college is there for specific fields of study that require it, but not everyone, no matter how smart they may have been in K-12 schooling, is "college material" (yours truly included). Their passions may lie elsewhere. Which is why I don't think college should be "encouraged" (re: forced) upon our children unless their passion/desire/life goals require it directly. For example, if my daughter wants to follow in the "family biz" and become a driver herself? By all means I will encourage it and perhaps mentor her directly. But if college is in her sights? Then by all means I will encourage that also. /rant
College is certainly over sold. A good plumber, electrician or heating and air person can make a killing if he knows his trade and works hard.

• Banned
Funny,

We're the most hard worked nation in the entire western world and you don't think we're worked hard enough??? lol, lol, lol Seriously, College is the best way to go if you have the brains as becoming a doctor, scientist, or real thinker is more needed then fruit picker.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A shining example of what I'm talking about. People like this disrespect honorable professions. Sad really.

So if you solve the problem what will happen to all of the unemployed college educators? It is just so funny that millions of people with college degrees can't figure out Planned Obsolescence in cars half-a-century after the Moon landing.

The Laws of Physics do not change style every year?!? Shocking!

psik

Funny,

So what will you do with all the unemployed college graduate scientists? There are plenty of those in every country.

College is certainly over sold. A good plumber, electrician or heating and air person can make a killing if he knows his trade and works hard.

Yes but you need to take a student loan even to attend those trade schools and apprenticeship programs. I think the key is in the student loan industry. Something has been created nationally that demands it.

Funny,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
A shining example of what I'm talking about. People like this disrespect honorable professions. Sad really.

Don't worry, their disrespect will backfire and come back to bit them and their parents in the ass, when they complete their super expensive college degrees and can't pay back their student loans and move back with their mothers for unemployment. The new national trend. Hehehe. I am a college student, and I find this arrogance funny. One of my friends, who is an electrician apprentice, will have made five times

So if you solve the problem what will happen to all of the unemployed college educators? It is just so funny that millions of people with college degrees can't figure out Planned Obsolescence in cars half-a-century after the Moon landing.

The Laws of Physics do not change style every year?!? Shocking!

psik

I think the educator's Union will cut a new deal for them with the government, on your taxes, of course.

I'm always telling folks that college is over hyped, and for a majority of victims leads to little more than a decade, or so of debt. If you know what you want to do; college is fine. However, the majority just want a degree, while having no real clue what they want to do. In the end they drop out, or end up with a worthless degree, and a pile of debt. All because parents and teachers mislead them into believing that "college" was the road to Easy Street. Tradesmen start out-earning their college age peers immediately. And seldom incurr the debt that their peers do. The world will always need plumbers, electricians, welders, and HVAC techs. And when they need one... They need it right now! And will pay through the nose to get one. Our schools do a disservice to today's youth by not pushing trades, every bit as hard as they do college.

The point of education is to make sure the country has the skills needed to do the jobs it feels the country needs. So yes, many kids go through school and it's a complete waste of time for them, totally irrelevant to the world outside. College is needed and there are skills that are learned by the more academic of people that can be useful, but for many, it's a waste of time.

In Austria, Germany and other countries they have technical schools which teach the skills needed for their profession, alongside other more traditional skills which may also be needed for a variety of reasons, but are done in a manner that's more relevant.

Kids need to learn the skills to do a job, or various jobs, as the job market never really stands still, but also how to be good adults, good parents, good partners, good people in general.

An education isn't just about making money or 'not doing certain jobs', it gives you a much broader rounded knowledge and view of the world. Knowledge opens the universe up to exploration and understanding. When you watch a documentary or talk to people you are much more able to engage in meaningful discussion.

Money isn't and never was the be-all end-all of adult life. All it does it make you comfortable and allow you to LIVE your life. It isn't your life. I feel sorry for people who view their self-worth by what they have. It is an utterly shallow way to live.

All work is noble in my opinion, even if you clean sewers you are doing noble work. If you are making an honest living for yourself and aren't screwing everyone else around you you have no need to lower your head for anyone.

The point of education is to make sure the country has the skills needed to do the jobs it feels the country needs. So yes, many kids go through school and it's a complete waste of time for them, totally irrelevant to the world outside. College is needed and there are skills that are learned by the more academic of people that can be useful, but for many, it's a waste of time.

In Austria, Germany and other countries they have technical schools which teach the skills needed for their profession, alongside other more traditional skills which may also be needed for a variety of reasons, but are done in a manner that's more relevant.

Kids need to learn the skills to do a job, or various jobs, as the job market never really stands still, but also how to be good adults, good parents, good partners, good people in general.

Human resources departments will fight against your view forever.

An education isn't just about making money or 'not doing certain jobs', it gives you a much broader rounded knowledge and view of the world. Knowledge opens the universe up to exploration and understanding. When you watch a documentary or talk to people you are much more able to engage in meaningful discussion.

Money isn't and never was the be-all end-all of adult life. All it does it make you comfortable and allow you to LIVE your life. It isn't your life. I feel sorry for people who view their self-worth by what they have. It is an utterly shallow way to live.

All work is noble in my opinion, even if you clean sewers you are doing noble work. If you are making an honest living for yourself and aren't screwing everyone else around you you have no need to lower your head for anyone.

Why do parents explode in the head if we are more interested in e.g. driving than writing English papers? Because no mother will have it if she can't say "my son the doctor/lawyer/moneydick". People must negotiate between their self survival and their worth to have them at home.

Yes but you need to take a student loan even to attend those trade schools and apprenticeship programs. I think the key is in the student loan industry. Something has been created nationally that demands it.
OJT. Being a "helper". Can be a valuable education.

Forum List

Back