TN first state to make community colleges tuition free,

Fine if they can afford it, but I am not sure what the requirements for a lottery funded scholarship are that they have to meet. It should help the expansion of more 4 year degrees into community colleges though, so that is a plus.

That money comes from interest on state lottery funds invested in 2003, said the bill's principal sponsor state Rep. David Hawk.

As long as it isn't taxpayer funds. We built the Sydney Opera House with a lottery. I would object if it came from taxpayers' hard earned.

Greg

I think they are doing it assbackwards and it will simply cause the rates of tuition to go up.

Secondly, not everyone needs a college degree. Some simply need training in a vocational skill.

Training which they can get for free at their local community college in TN now. :eusa_wall:
"free" = from the wallets of Tennessee taxpayers; mostly hard working, middle class citizens who worked their way through college.

People tend not to respect things they are given as much as those things they've earned. I'd rather see states find ways to reduce education costs than to simply reach into Other People's pockets and give away their money.

It means a tax increase.
California charged $50 tuition for their community colleges when I went to school there, but CA had a great community college network.TN doesn't really have one.

A fifty dollar tuition allows anyone to go to college. Unfortunately too many start attending school who shouldn't be there. Not everyone is cut out for the college experience. They clog up our schools and make it next to impossible to get the classes you need for your major. So free tuition in TN will only exacerbate the problem and raise TN taxes at the same time.

Sounds like a great Democrat idea. Fuck everything up while sticking it to the Middle-Class.

I agree with most of you. Free is not good when it comes to education , we need to do something to cut down on college costs and books. I am amazed when kids graduate from high school and have no idea what they want to be, its one thing to change majors, but another to not even have a clue to what they want to study.

We need better HS and grade schools.

I agree with most of you. Free is not good when it comes to education , we need to do something to cut down on college costs and books. I am amazed when kids graduate from high school and have no idea what they want to be, its one thing to change majors, but another to not even have a clue to what they want to study.

You're right, but if we did, we would have less folks like you. ;)

A twofer would be to offer HS grads the opportunity to join the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Dept of Health and, of course the military, for 2-3 years then pay for community college/Vo-Tech. It would push them out into the world, let them think about what they want to do with their lives then provide the means for them to do so.

A twofer would be to offer HS grads the opportunity to join the Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, Dept of Health and, of course the military, for 2-3 years then pay for community college/Vo-Tech. It would push them out into the world, let them think about what they want to do with their lives then provide the means for them to do so.

I agree, if they want a free two years let them do the above first. Then we get in the issue is how do they support themselves when they go to school for at least 12 credit hours, they need to work somewhere.

I think we need to teach kids what they need to get a job in H.S. even if it means adding 2 more years.

I agree, if they want a free two years let them do the above first. Then we get in the issue is how do they support themselves when they go to school for at least 12 credit hours, they need to work somewhere.
The key point about community college is living at home. If not, they can find roommates. I lived at home for my first two years of college (community) then got a college loan and lived on campus of a four year university.

Forum List

Back