College Kids Are So Stupid

NATO AIR

Jun 25, 2004
USS Abraham Lincoln
(coming from a dropout that is going to be back in college on campus in 2 more years)

I've got idiots in medical who claim "i only had oral sex, why do i have this big red sore on my mouth and this stuff growing on my tongue?" (males and females)

When I was in college, it was just as bad. My god, look at what Slick Willie pioneered... hey kids, if its oral, its not sex.

I must be perfectly honest though, college in Miami will be twice as great for girls as it was in NC (and I was saving my virginity all throughout my year there)... 2 more years I can't wait!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7502970/site/newsweek/

CURRENT MAGAZINE
By Justin Raphael, University of PennsylvaniaSummer 2005 - “Sex! Sex! It was in the air along with the nitrogen and the oxygen! The whole campus was humid with it! tumid with it! lubricated with it! Tingling with it! in a state of around-the-clock arousal with it!” Lines like these from Tom Wolfe’s latest bestseller, “I Am Charlotte Simmons,” confirm every parent’s worst nightmare—that their college kids are having sex and lots of it. His heroine Charlotte, a sheltered teenager, arrives at the fictional Dupont University to discover that her ivory tower classmates are more interested in orgasm than orgo. Worse still for the anxious parent, Wolfe claims that he based his novel on reporting he did at Duke, Harvard, Michigan, Penn, Princeton, Stanford, UNC, and Yale.

But how real is Wolfe’s depiction of sex on America’s campuses? Students and experts on sexuality say the story is not so simple—or so salacious. No one denies that sex still saturates college life. But recent studies suggest that today’s campus sex scene is far tamer than Wolfe’s novel suggests. “There’s some evidence [college sex rates] might be moving down,” says Dr. Edward Laumann, a University of Chicago sociology professor who has conducted extensive studies on sex practices in America. According to Laumann, a recent survey of predominately heterosexual single students at a midwestern college found that while 25 percent of males and 16.6 percent of females reported more than five sexual partners in the last year, nearly 50 percent of both men and women reported one or none.

The luridness of Wolfe’s book may reflect the huge gap between perception and reality in the world of college sex. Whereas 79.3 percent of students in a 2001 Princeton survey had zero or one partner, respondents thought that the figure was only 32.5 percent. And while only 20.5 percent of respondents had two or more partners, the perception was that 67.7 of students did. At the time, Princeton sociology professor Patricia Fernandez-Kelly told the Daily Princetonian that “there is a tendency towards exaggeration and the perception is that people have easy access to sex.”

And then there’s the question of what actually constitutes sex. Susan Vallari, director of the Office of Health Education at the University of Pennsylvania, where she teaches a course on human sexuality, says that “most students don’t think oral sex is sex.” Michael Karam, a junior at the University of Pennsylvania, expressed a similar view. “When you say you had sex with someone, you don’t mean that you had oral sex with them.”

For casual encounters students seem to prefer oral sex to actual intercourse. “I know some people are comfortable having sex as a one-night stand,” Harvard senior Whitney Wood says, “But I think sex is something people would associate with commitment, while oral sex seems to be something more accepted. Sex is a bigger deal, it means more. People are less likely to just throw it around.”
CONTINUE ARTICLE AT LINK

Forum List

Back