Collective bargaining "rights"??

VaYank5150

Gold Member
Aug 3, 2009
Virginia
Just about every headline I have read about the proposed budget changes in Wisconsin mentions Collective Bargaining "rights". I am NOT the sharpest tack in the box, and after extensive Google searches, can find no LAW that stipulates such rights. What am I missing?

I did find this!

United States labor law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The NLRA does not, on the other hand, cover governmental employees, with the exception of employees of the United States Postal Service, a quasi-public entity. The Federal Labor Relations Act provides for much more limited rights for employees of the federal government; Congress has, moreover, excluded a number of these workers in the United States Department of Homeland Security and elsewhere from even these limited protections.

Federal law does not provide employees of state and local governments with the right to organize or engage in union activities, except to the extent that the United States Constitution protects their rights to freedom of speech and freedom of association. The Constitution provides even less protection for governmental employees' right to engage in collective bargaining: while it bars public employers from retaliating against employees for forming a union, it does not require those employers to recognize that union, much less bargain with it.

So....basically, these public sector workers have no collective bargaining "rights". Please carry on, Governor!

Just about every headline I have read about the proposed budget changes in Wisconsin mentions Collective Bargaining "rights". I am NOT the sharpest tack in the box, and after extensive Google searches, can find no LAW that stipulates such rights. What am I missing?

Wisconsin passed a law in 1959 giving the public sector employees bargaining rights.

(I'm looking for the text of it)

Wisconsin passed a law in 1959 giving the public sector employees bargaining rights.

That's consistent with what I've heard reported as well.

But, what the state giveth, the state can taketh away.

That's why it's so important that the Constitution is based on Natural Law not the power of the state. The rights acknowledged in the Constitution are natural rights not rights granted by the state and therefore cannot be removed from the people by the state. If they are, then the people maintain the ultimate right to revolution and the 2nd Amendment preserves the means.

Not that Wisconsin is anything like a revolution, I just wanted complete the thought. :)

That's why it's so important that the Constitution is based on Natural Law not the power of the state. The rights acknowledged in the Constitution are natural rights not rights granted by the state and therefore cannot be removed from the people by the state. If they are, then the people maintain the ultimate right to revolution and the 2nd Amendment preserves the means.

Not that Wisconsin is anything like a revolution, I just wanted complete the thought. :)

But, there are no collective bargaining rights for public sector employees in the Constitution.

But, there are no collective bargaining rights for public sector employees in the Constitution.

That's correct!

What does that tell you? It should tell you that there is no natural right to collective bargaining. Even St. Roosevelt didn't think it was a good idea for public sector employees to have collective bargaining rights. It's a bad idea and the time has come to extinguish it.

I think they have a right to do that. As in, they can as a group protest their work environment and demand another agreement.

But by that same logic, their employer has a right to then fire their spoiled asses and hire someone else who will actually be grateful for a job and show up for work.

It is not a right. It was earned thru contract negotians and people striking and such. Which we will see lots more of as times get tougher.

It is no more of a right than is a corporations ability to donate money to political causes.

Last edited:

What a bunch of nonsense. lololol

First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

freedom of assembly

You can not tell Americans they can not get together and talk.

When they get together and talk they can deside to join forces and stick together to acheive a collective goal.

How anyone can think a group of any Americans can be told who they are allowed to group with is beyond me.

Agreed. Americans have the right to protest, and protest as a collective group if they wish.

But their employers also have a right to fire them for insubordination and replace them with employees (not "workers") who will do the job for what is being offered as compensation.

I have a feeling a lot of WI teachers are gonna be fired because the union will get it's way. The collective greed sacrificing the entire career of a few to prevent them from having to give up just a little bit more each as a group. Liberalism at it's best.

I think they have a right to do that. As in, they can as a group protest their work environment and demand another agreement.

But by that same logic, their employer has a right to then fire their spoiled asses and hire someone else who will actually be grateful for a job and show up for work.
In a right to work state thats true, but WI law curreently does not allow the employer to fire them. It also does not require the employer to bargain with them.

As i understand it, the workers have the right to unionize under freedom of assembly, and the right to appoint people to speak for them under freedom of speech. What they don't have is the right to compell anyone to bargain with them or even to acknowledge them.

If public sector unions are allowed, their ability to participate in ANY political campaign must be banned. This allows then to corrupt the negotiation process by assisting to vote into power cronies that will abuse the public trust given to them.

Of course, I'm more for using more direct democracy like public referendum votes for any changes in public sector union contracts.

The United States Constitution - The U.S. Constitution Online - USConstitution.net

Okay.

Where in the Constitution does is specify that Government Employees have collective bargaining rights?

In a right to work state thats true, but WI law curreently does not allow the employer to fire them. It also does not require the employer to bargain with them.

As i understand it, the workers have the right to unionize under freedom of assembly, and the right to appoint people to speak for them under freedom of speech. What they don't have is the right to compell anyone to bargain with them or even to acknowledge them.

Right to work states are the best. I'm in one now.

BREAKING NEWS RIGHT NOW ON LIMBAUGH, VIA FOX NEWS:

Average teacher's salary in Wisconsin: Over $85,000

It is not a right. It was earned thru contract negotians and people striking and such. Which we will see lots more of as times get tougher.

It is no more of a right than is a corporations ability to donate money to political causes.
Not a very good analogy since the assemblage of a corporation does have the right to contribute its own money wherever they see fit.

On the other hand the workers have a right to form an assemblage for the purpose of collective bargaining, they however have no right to compel anyone to actually bargain with them.

First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

freedom of assembly

When they get together and talk they can deside to join forces and stick together to acheive a collective goal.

How anyone can think a group of any Americans can be told who they are allowed to group with is beyond me.
who is? seriously they can assemble any way they want, that does not compel anyone else to listen to them.

freedom of assembly

Right to Assembly equals public sector union collective bargaining 'rights'?

huh...

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.” Adam Smith

Forum List

Back