Coin Collectors?

Canon Shooter

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2020
My aunt passed away a few years ago, and my brother and I were her only living heirs.

One of the things we inherited from her was a very large collection of old coins, dating from the mid-1800's to the latter part of the 20th century. I'd wager that 85% of the coins are silver. I've spent the better part of the last year going through them all, one by one, doing research on the web, and documenting some of the more interesting pieces.

The vast majority of them are only going to be worth their melt value, and I've got a local guy who's going to buy those. But he got a bit excited when I told him about one of the coins I found, a 1921 Peace Dollar:

280206962_1219871738551682_7055243733703898797_n.jpg
280567673_302510108611952_2317295170018889437_n.jpg

The Peace Dollar was minted from 1921 through 1928, and then again in 1934 and 1935. The first one was struck on December 28, 1921. All of the Peace Dollars which bear a 1921 date were struck in Philadelphia, so there's no mint mark on them. The Mint later reported that 1,006,473 pieces were struck in 1921, a rate of output for the four days remaining in the year that would've been amazing. It's speculated that the minting of 1921 Peace dollars continued into 1922.

All of the 1921 Peace Dollars were minted in "high relief", but this took a very definite toll on the dies. Only about 1% of all Peace Dollars were high relief. A handful of 1922 Peace Dollars were high relief. One of those can be worth as much as $140K.

Ours isn't worth quite that, but my coin guy said it might be worth a couple hundred bucks. Glad I went through all of those coins! There were some others I pulled aside, as well, including an 1882 Morgan silver dollar, and a seated Liberty quarter from 1870, which is worth about $70.

Anyone else into old coins?

I suppose the more you melt, the more the rest become worth. I have a collection from when I was a kid.

My aunt passed away a few years ago, and my brother and I were her only living heirs.

One of the things we inherited from her was a very large collection of old coins, dating from the mid-1800's to the latter part of the 20th century. I'd wager that 85% of the coins are silver. I've spent the better part of the last year going through them all, one by one, doing research on the web, and documenting some of the more interesting pieces.

The vast majority of them are only going to be worth their melt value, and I've got a local guy who's going to buy those. But he got a bit excited when I told him about one of the coins I found, a 1921 Peace Dollar:

View attachment 647374 View attachment 647377

The Peace Dollar was minted from 1921 through 1928, and then again in 1934 and 1935. The first one was struck on December 28, 1921. All of the Peace Dollars which bear a 1921 date were struck in Philadelphia, so there's no mint mark on them. The Mint later reported that 1,006,473 pieces were struck in 1921, a rate of output for the four days remaining in the year that would've been amazing. It's speculated that the minting of 1921 Peace dollars continued into 1922.

All of the 1921 Peace Dollars were minted in "high relief", but this took a very definite toll on the dies. Only about 1% of all Peace Dollars were high relief. A handful of 1922 Peace Dollars were high relief. One of those can be worth as much as $140K.

Ours isn't worth quite that, but my coin guy said it might be worth a couple hundred bucks. Glad I went through all of those coins! There were some others I pulled aside, as well, including an 1882 Morgan silver dollar, and a seated Liberty quarter from 1870, which is worth about $70.

While working on my first house I found some pipes in a wall that were obviously not part of the plumbing system. They were lengths of pipe that were capped on both ends. They looked like big pipe bombs!

I ran to a neighbor's home and called the police. They sent out the bomb squad. It turned out that they were not pipe bombs, they were filled with old coins and stock certificates that a previous homeowner had hidden inside the walls.

Last edited:

View attachment 647374 View attachment 647377

Don't trust anyone---always seek a second opinion---always.

Don't trust anyone---always seek a second opinion---always.

The guy I'm working with is someone I trust implicitly. His father is one of the country's top experts on coins, and my buddy was raised in that environment. Him trying to rip me off is not even the slightest concern. Besides, he knows I'll burn his house down if he does...

I collect coins and paper currency, most have been slabbed.
They are mostly investment grade coins. Make sure you have an idea
of their worth, some are very rare and pricey in any condition.
This might help you.

My coin guy called me regarding the Peace Dollar. He said in the condition shown, it's worth about $200.

That's pretty much what I was finding online.

I've got three Barber dimes, but none of the "S" variety...

It’s hard to believe now that we once had coinage made of silver and gold. The assholes in charge sure screwed that up.

I collect Morgan dollars...Mostly all brilliant circulated, except for the really rare (i.e. prohibitively expensive) dates....If you have some in great condition that I don't have, I'll pay you a better price than any coin dealer will.

There was only one Morgan; an 1882. We're going to keep that, along with a handful of others. The vast majority of the coins were quite worn.

I took them down to my coin guy yesterday, and walked out with $550...

Too bad....I'd have held them, as silver is going nowhere but up.
Well, we talked about that.

But if it goes up and you never sell because the price is going to keep going up, then it doesn't really matter if it's going up because you're not selling anyway...

Forum List

Back