CNN Arizona debate thread

I'm tired of hearing about who did what and when they did it.

I WANT TO HEAR PLANS AND A VISION FOR OUR FUTURE.

Too much time spent gloating on their individual pasts.

Alexander Hamilton was perhaps the single individual most responsible for robust federal financing. Gingrich's suggestion that Hamilton would be single-mindedly trying to balance the budget is silly. Gingrich might know history, but you wouldn't know it by listening to him.
Jay & Madison supported a CENTRAL government also; and Jay fought to end slavery beginning in 1777.

Absolutely true, though it's relation to either my post or the debate escapes me.

California Girl - isn't there something to be said for not borrowing money from the bank to "give to charity?" I'm all for helping our fellow citizens of the world...but if we don't have any money, we don't have any money...shouldn't we make sure we are covering the necessities in the U.S. before we spend the massive amounts of money we spend overseas?

Why is it heartless to ask such questions?

Because long before we were broke, Paul and his ilk wanted to cut foreign aid. Foreign aid has, traditionally, kept many very poor nations from imploding and dragging other countries down with them.

Libertarians are dangerously naive about foreign affairs.

Can you give us an example of government aid keeping "many very poor nations from imploding and dragging other countries down with them."? Seems to me that most of our foreign aid is military, and what isn't never seems to get to the people that need it, it just gets siphoned of by the governments we give it to.

This is great for the Democrats...they look like petulant children.

Alexander Hamilton was perhaps the single individual most responsible for robust federal financing. Gingrich's suggestion that Hamilton would be single-mindedly trying to balance the budget is silly. Gingrich might know history, but you wouldn't know it by listening to him.
Jay & Madison supported a CENTRAL government also; and Jay fought to end slavery beginning in 1777.

Absolutely true, though it's relation to either my post or the debate escapes me.
You noted only Hamilton, it brought the others to mind, obviously.

I dont think we have the same definition of gloating. I don't think citing one's record is gloating.

California Girl - isn't there something to be said for not borrowing money from the bank to "give to charity?" I'm all for helping our fellow citizens of the world...but if we don't have any money, we don't have any money...shouldn't we make sure we are covering the necessities in the U.S. before we spend the massive amounts of money we spend overseas?

Because long before we were broke, Paul and his ilk wanted to cut foreign aid. Foreign aid has, traditionally, kept many very poor nations from imploding and dragging other countries down with them.

Good point. I'd also add that if you don't look at helping out other nations, their citizens start looking at other places to live - like the US...

Then do it better, don't cut it completely.

I dont think it's heartless if we stop the government from giving the aid. Because there is nothing stopping the people from providing aid to those in other nations.

With respect, you are totally naive about the kind of aid, etc that we provide. It's important for us... as a world leading nation... to be seen to be helping where help is needed. It's one of the very few things I agree with on spending. We need to do it better... but we cannot cut it. It would damage our standing in the world, which in turn leads to economic consequences for us.

I think we will just have to agree to disagree here.

Good point. I'd also add that if you don't look at helping out other nations, their citizens start looking at other places to live - like the US...

I'm all good with that, so long as they follow the RULES!

I dont think we have the same definition of gloating. I don't think citing one's record is gloating.

This is the 900th debate. This is the 1800th time they've spouted their records. We get it, we got it, stop gloating and tell us your vision.

I dont think it's heartless if we stop the government from giving the aid. Because there is nothing stopping the people from providing aid to those in other nations.

With respect, you are totally naive about the kind of aid, etc that we provide. It's important for us... as a world leading nation... to be seen to be helping where help is needed. It's one of the very few things I agree with on spending. We need to do it better... but we cannot cut it. It would damage our standing in the world, which in turn leads to economic consequences for us.

We can discuss foreign aid on a thread next week. :eusa_angel:

What i take issue with is that if the government doesn't do it, that it never gets done.

And that's not necessarily true. Because they can fight for their own liberty.

This is the 900th debate. This is the 1800th time they've spouted their records. We get it, we got it, stop gloating and tell us your vision.

Most people don't watch as many of the debates as we do.

We can discuss foreign aid on a thread next week. :eusa_angel:

I'll be looking forward to it... :cool:

Forum List

Back