CNBC - Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge

I bet most of the players are up because of the rally. I'm up 6.8% since I started playing. How are you guys doing?

Since the last time I said anything about it, I went from the top 4% to the top 97% :eek: LOL!

Still holding the same positions.

Since the last time I said anything about it, I went from the top 4% to the top 97% :eek: LOL!

Still holding the same positions.

Wow! That's awesome. I'm only in the top 44%.

I hope you haven't been taking lessons from Martha Stewart...

Still holding the same positions with about 10% cash. I'm ranked in the Top 45.2%. 220,960th :)

Wow! That's awesome. I'm only in the top 44%.

I hope you haven't been taking lessons from Martha Stewart...

If we have another big dip I probably get back into the top 10%. Barring a dip though, I might wind up with under 300k when it's all said and done.

Thank God it's funny money!

Even though new home construction plunged by record levels yesterday?

Yes, I think that news was anticipated and already priced in.

That news served to drive it down to the price I was waiting for.

If you look at the day I originally posted that, December 5th, it was at around the same price as it was this morning, ~ $35, but I did not buy. I waited and watched as it went up all the way up to $47 on January 5th! In one month you COULD have made $12 per share, or ~33% on your money!

This morning I was happy to see my standing order filled at $35.30. For one thing, I think once the infrastructure bill gets back into the news this stock will go back up.

Anyway, I bought it for the long term, in my IRA and I feel good about the fundamentals going forward:

Day's Range: 35.01 - 36.68
52wk Range: 31.95 - 85.96
Volume: 10,352,914
Avg Vol (3m): 11,737,700
Market Cap: 21.92B
P/E (ttm): 6.00
EPS (ttm): 6.073
Div & Yield: 1.68 (4.20%)

Bought up some CAT this morning! :D

(Real $ not virtual)

Even though new home construction plunged by record levels yesterday?

I have to admit I'm a bit worried about Monday's impending earnings report. Keep an eye on this one as a good example and a sign of things to come in our economy. It's possible this thing gets flushed below thirty this week, which will represent another capitulation and I believe another good buying opportunity. As you know, a loss is not realized until you actually sell.

It's a difficult thing to stomach, but when nobody else wants it, that's when you have to have the guts to step in. I plan on hanging on and even buying more if it makes a new bottom. This type of volatile activity in individual equities is typical when the market is over sold and I'm counting on the potential downside to be more limited than the potential upside, based on the fundamentals.

:eusa_pray:

Week ahead for Wall Street: Earnings, GDP and the Fed - Jan. 25, 2009

The week ahead: Investors gear up for a deluge of weak earnings and the biggest plunge in GDP in 26 years.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Investors this week will face the largest batch of company report cards yet, in what is quickly shaping up to be the worst quarter for corporate profits in a decade.

The earnings avalanche will test the market's mettle. Last week, the Dow fought back after falling below the 8,000 point psychological benchmark for four days in a row. Analysts say if the Dow can hang on to this level in the weeks ahead, that's a good indication that a bottom has been set.

The biggest week for earnings brings reports from 137 S&P 500 companies and 12 Dow components. Standouts include Caterpillar, American Express, McDonald's, Yahoo, Wells Fargo and Exxon Mobil.

Forum List

Back