General Motors studying shedding Pontiac, Hummer, Saab and Saturn

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Nov. 26 (Bloomberg) -- General Motors Corp., working to cut costs to win $12 billion in government loans, is studying whether to shed its Saturn, Saab and Pontiac brands in addition to Hummer, people familiar with the matter said.

Selling or dropping brands would save money and reduce overlap as the biggest U.S. automaker struggles to avoid running out of operating cash by year’s end, said the people, who didn’t want to be identified because no decision has been made. GM’s other U.S. brands are Chevrolet, GMC, Buick and Cadillac.

Story here:

I don't know how well Saturn sells, but they've always been pieces of crap. In my opinion, you need Chevy, Pontiac and Cadillac and if you really wanted to cut costs, just Chevy and Cadillac. GMC only makes trucks and SUV's that are basically re-labeled Chevy's and Pontiacs. I really don't know who the hell buys Buicks today, besides Tiger Woods.

For a little history, Saab was a Swedish owned company until GM bought 50% of its shares in 1990 and a few years later bought the remaining 50%. Saab only has 2 cars and an upcoming SUV that's a re-packaged Caddy.

I don't know how well Saturn sells, but they've always been pieces of crap. In my opinion, you need Chevy, Pontiac and Cadillac and if you really wanted to cut costs, just Chevy and Cadillac. GMC only makes trucks and SUV's that are basically re-labeled Chevy's and Pontiacs. I really don't know who the hell buys Buicks today, besides Tiger Woods.

For a little history, Saab was a Swedish owned company until GM bought 50% of its shares in 1990 and a few years later bought the remaining 50%. Saab only has 2 cars and an upcoming SUV that's a re-packaged Caddy.

I disagree with you on Pontiac. Most if not all Pontiacs are repackaged Chevys and Buicks. Ditch them and keep Buick.

Forum List

Back