CNBC - Million Dollar Portfolio Challenge

NOBama

Sep 23, 2008
Anybody here playing? Just wondering.

Ya could win oh... 1/2 million bucks or so.

I always play. I usually setup my portfolio's and just leave them alone.

To play, logon to CNBC, click CONTEST, create your portfolio's.

Good Luck if you're in!

Cool.

Sound like fun.

Now I used to gamble (for fun) online, but for some reason (technical not worth explaining here) I can no longer do that, so maybe this will satisfy that gambling lust for me, instead.

You guys do not want to play texas hold'em with me, BTW.

I'd own your farms if you played against me long enough.

Of course gambling at cards is way easier than making money on the market, but this might be a fun, anyway.

Cool.

Sound like fun.

Now I used to gamble (for fun) online, but for some reason (technical not worth explaining here) I can no longer do that, so maybe this will satisfy that gambling lust for me, instead.

You guys do not want to play texas hold'em with me, BTW.

I'd own your farms if you played against me long enough.

Of course gambling at cards is way easier than making money on the market, but this might be a fun, anyway.

Interestingly, a novice player won 500K$ in one of these CNBC games. I'm not 100% sure but I think his "big play" was Fanny or Freddie. Anyway, I imagine he's happy he played.

Man, you'd never want to sit at a Texas Hold'em table with me. You'd REALLY have a bad outlook on life after that. :lol:

Ed, did you get your CNBC Portfolio's setup?

My portfolio's (their all the same) are probably going to take a hit today. I'm long in the following short ETF's:
QID
SRS
SKF
EEV
Long Currencies:
GBP/USD

I stand ZERO chance of winning but I like to track my picks over the period of the game.

I'm surprised that your the only person that expressed any interest in the game. It seems like there's a lot of people who post here who could use a free chance to win some cash. :confused:

Oh well, good luck to you!

Anybody here playing? Just wondering.

Ya could win oh... 1/2 million bucks or so.

I always play. I usually setup my portfolio's and just leave them alone.

To play, logon to CNBC, click CONTEST, create your portfolio's.

Good Luck if you're in!

Sounds fun. I use to play this game in high school.

Ed, did you get your CNBC Portfolio's setup?

My portfolio's (their all the same) are probably going to take a hit today. I'm long in the following short ETF's:
QID
SRS
SKF
EEV
Long Currencies:
GBP/USD

I stand ZERO chance of winning but I like to track my picks over the period of the game.

I'm surprised that your the only person that expressed any interest in the game. It seems like there's a lot of people who post here who could use a free chance to win some cash. :confused:

Oh well, good luck to you!

The brits are thinking about converting to the Euro..... :(

Wow, my little CBNC portfolio made $219.367.56 yesterday.
icon10.gif

If that was my real portfolio, I'd take the money and run!

High school? Interesting...

I wish this internet thingy was around when I was a kid in school. Too bad AL Gore hadn't invented it yet!

When I was in a high school, I was fortunate to be part of the Academy of Finance. We played the stock market game (not CNBC) and I summer interned at Shearson Lehman Bros (that was what it was called at that time). All of us aspired to be yuppies :)

Wow! Can you parlay your expertise into real $$$?

I'm still setting up my portfolio.

I've been flipping short ETF's ever since the bailout was first announced. If I mentioned how much $$$ I've added to my real portfolio, nobody would believe me. I can live with that.

I use to mention them (short ETF's) on the Economy board, but nobody seemed interested and my buddy editec doesn't like the idea of making money :confused:

That HCBK I posted about today is a good play too. I made a boat load of cash on that puppy this year.

I've been flipping short ETF's ever since the bailout was first announced. If I mentioned how much $$$ I've added to my real portfolio, nobody would believe me. I can live with that.

I use to mention them (short ETF's) on the Economy board, but nobody seemed interested and my buddy editec doesn't like the idea of making money :confused:

That HCBK I posted about today is a good play too. I made a boat load of cash on that puppy this year.

Do mind giving a lesson on ETF's?

You must know what you're doing if you're making money in this market.

I would love to devote more time into understanding the market.

Do mind giving a lesson on ETF's?

I wouldn't call this a lesson but, Basically what I do is:

Every morning, starting around 4:30AM, I look for World News articles that may impact the markets, overseas market stats, US futures, check on what economic reports are coming out that day, and scrounge around my favorite stock related message boards looking for “tells” and investor sentiment (of people I trust), to name a few things I do. I also try to stay away from low volume plays like the X3 funds.

If I decide to flip one or two that day, I get in as early as I can (premarket), before the PPS escalates too much. Then, watch Level-II and Streamers on one screen, live news feeds on another, surf around on the third, and keep an eye on the talking heads on CNBC.

I’m not as aggressive as some people I know, I usually leave some $ on the table but, I don't worry about that. Since the SHTF my attitude is: Get In, Get Out, Make Cash. Rarely do I stay in overnight and never over a weekend. Hope that helps.

There's a couple of other people who post here like Brian and Toro, who could probably offer up some good information too.

Individual equities…. That’s a different ball game.

Just started playing today.. so we'll see what happens.. :)

Good! Man, it would be hilarious if somebody who posts here won a weekly prize or even hit the mother load LOL!

I can see all the "I didn't see that Thread" posts now :rofl:

Glad it's not really money cuz I'm down about $100k :) I'm not all in so hope to put some money to work today!

Glad it's not really money cuz I'm down about $100k :) I'm not all in so hope to put some money to work today!

Hey, take heart...I've done that in real life with real money, made it, lost it, made it again and so on...which is precisely why I am too burned out on crunching numbers right now to talk much about stocks around here.

My advice to people is to watch the volumes and the cash flow, not just the stock price. There is a massive power shift going on right now and it is very easy to get burned in this volatile market.

If a stock is breaking through it's lows on high volume, don't just buy it because it is low. Do your homework and invest in companies who have real earnings, high dividend yields, and low P/E ratios. Don't jump in with both feet just because a price is lower than ever...wait for the high volume to show itself on the upside!

Hey, take heart...I've done that in real life with real money, made it, lost it, made it again and so on...which is precisely why I am too burned out on crunching numbers right now to talk much about stocks around here.

My advice to people is to watch the volumes and the cash flow, not just the stock price. There is a massive power shift going on right now and it is very easy to get burned in this volatile market.

If a stock is breaking through it's lows on high volume, don't just buy it because it is low. Do your homework and invest in companies who have real earnings, high dividend yields, and low P/E ratios. Don't jump in with both feet just because a price is lower than ever...wait for the high volume to show itself on the upside!

Here's one I am watching closely and plan on buying in my IRA.

CAT

CAT: Summary for CATERPILLAR INC - Yahoo! Finance

I bet most of the players are up because of the rally. I'm up 6.8% since I started playing. How are you guys doing?

Forum List

Back