Climate scientist Dr. Roy Spencer lays the smack to '2014 warmest year ever' nonsense

Where_r_my_Keys

Gold Member
Jan 19, 2014
"Truth.

Dr. Roy Spencer is a real problem for global warmists. They can't say he's not a climate scientist, because he is. They can't accuse him of taking oil industry money, because all the funding he's ever received has come from the U.S. government - including his work with NASA, NOAA and the Department of Energy.

And they can't refute his arguments, because he knows what he's talking about and they don't. So when he comes across their latest nonsense - this time the claim that 2014 was the warmest year on record - he takes aim and destroys the claim in beautiful fashion:

"Science as a methodology for getting closer to the truth has been all but abandoned. It is now just one more tool to achieve political ends.

Reports that 2014 was the “hottest” year on record feed the insatiable appetite the public has for definitive, alarming headlines. It doesn’t matter that even in the thermometer record, 2014 wasn’t the warmest within the margin of error. Who wants to bother with “margin of error”? Journalists went into journalism so they wouldn’t have to deal with such technical mumbo-jumbo. I said this six weeks ago, as did others, but no one cares unless a mainstream news source stumbles upon it and is objective enough to report it.

In what universe does a temperature change that is too small for anyone to feel over a 50 year period become globally significant? Where we don’t know if the global average temperature is 58 or 59 or 60 deg. F, but we are sure that if it increases by 1 or 2 deg. F, that would be a catastrophe?

Where our only truly global temperature measurements, the satellites, are ignored because they don’t show a record warm year in 2014?

In what universe do the climate models built to guide energy policy are not even adjusted to reflect reality, when they over-forecast past warming by a factor of 2 or 3?

And where people have to lie about severe weather getting worse (it hasn’t)? Or where we have totally forgotten that more CO2 is actually good for life on Earth, leading to increased agricultural productivity, and global greening?

It’s the universe where political power and the desire to redistribute wealth have taken control of the public discourse. It’s a global society where people believe we can replace fossil fuels with unicorn farts and antigravity-based energy.

Feelings now trump facts.

At least engineers have to prove their ideas work. The widgets and cell phones and cars and jets and bridges they build either work or they don’t.

In climate science, whichever side is favored by politicians and journalism graduates is the side that wins.

And what about those 97% of scientists who agree? Well, what they all agree on is that if their government climate funding goes away, their careers will end." "

Politics Climate scientist Dr. Roy Spencer lays the smack to 2014 warmest year ever nonsense Best of Cain

The important part of the article by Dr. Spencer (which these deadbeat liberals probably won't read anyway)...

We still don’t understand what causes natural climate change to occur, so we simply assume it doesn’t exist. This despite abundant evidence that it was just as warm 1,000 and 2,000 years ago as it is today. Forty years ago, “climate change” necessarily implied natural causation; now it only implies human causation.

What changed? Not the science…our estimates of climate sensitivity are about the same as they were 40 years ago.

What changed is the politics. And not just among the politicians. At AMS or AGU scientific conferences, political correctness and advocacy are now just as pervasive as as they have become in journalism school. Many (mostly older) scientists no longer participate and many have even resigned in protest.

It started off just among the POLITICIANS (algore etal)...and naturally was picked up by the MAIN STREAM MEDIA (read liberal assholes out to tell goddamn lies just to make a buck) at the expense of those tens of millions of jobs Mr.H. mentioned above.

About time a scientist says what I have saying all along people recording the temperature 100 years ago were inacuarate compared to 20 years ago

Roy Spencer? Bhwahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Roy Spencer
    Climatologist
  2. Roy Warren Spencer is a climatologist, Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer on NASA's Aqua satellite.Wikipedia
Sounds like every Climate Change fearists dream.

Yes, Dr. Spencer only rated 2013 as third. And, as he said, just a few hundreth of degree seperating First, Second, Third, and Fourth.

So, let us look at what he and the rest are really saying.

On a super El Nino, in 1998, we had the first of a series of very warm years. All the years after that may not have set records as the warmest, but 9 of the warmest years on record have occured since 2000
Then in 2005, seven years after 1998, we had another very warm year, about the same as 1998. Then, five years after that, 2010, we again had a year that tied the record. And now, four years after 2010, we tied it again. 2005, 2010, were both moderate El Nino's. 2014 was Enso neutral. There is simply no way that 2014 should have been that warm. But it was.

So flap yap all you wish about how it really wasn't the total warmest, that is not the point. By what we are seeing, the next El Nino will be a scorcher. And I expect to see, before 2025, a La Nina year exceed 1998.

1. Roy Spencer
    Climatologist
  2. Roy Warren Spencer is a climatologist, Principal Research Scientist at the University of Alabama in Huntsville, and the U.S. Science Team leader for the Advanced Microwave Scanning Radiometer on NASA's Aqua satellite.Wikipedia

Yes indeed, I wish every denier was like this man. You do realize that he is also a creationist, right? Tells you where is 'scientific' head is at, doesn't it?

A CREATIONIST? For real? Man walked with dinosaurs and all that shit?
Are you sure? Our level headed right wing global warming skeptics would not hang their hats on a guy who believes the world is only a few thousand years old.

Would they?

1. Roy Spencer
    Climatologist

Yes indeed, I wish every denier was like this man. You do realize that he is also a creationist, right? Tells you where is 'scientific' head is at, doesn't it?

So? So he is a creationist whatever that broad term might mean to you. Obama is a self professed creationist so what is your point?

So point out how him being a creationist, or how you know this fact, has effected his view on Climate Change. The CC fear mongers wail that there is no real climatologist speaking against the fear, here is one and you see how they are treated.

A CREATIONIST? For real? Man walked with dinosaurs and all that shit?
Are you sure? Our level headed right wing global warming skeptics would not hang their hats on a guy who believes the world is only a few thousand years old.

Would they?

So interesting that you spell out exactly what the guy thinks without really knowing then attack what YOU post. Really disingenuous.

Greenland called, they said the human artifacts being discovered under the ice means your theory fails

China and India called, they said your models are wrong and climate change is natural.

Germany called they said modern thermometers read warmer than prior ones

Time for the warmers to find some other way to destroy Western civilization

Last edited:
About time a scientist says what I have saying all along people recording the temperature 100 years ago were inacuarate compared to 20 years ago
As I have frequently pointed out!
We've pointed out you me and others that the simple mercury thermometer used to record temperatures long before computers and digital were hard to read.
Considering that THE below was the only way of reading a temperature for decades.
Hard to distinguish between 71.4 ° and 71.6° wouldn't you say? Then remember these discrete temperature readings had to be physically written down, then transcribed again and again..remember all before computers...and again how often have we had problems reading people's typing on this forum?
weatherstation.png

Here is what Spencer has to say about Intelliget design.

Intelligent design[edit]
In TCS Daily, Spencer wrote, "Twenty years ago, as a PhD scientist, I intensely studied the evolution versus intelligent design controversy for about two years. And finally, despite my previous acceptance of evolutionary theory as 'fact,' I came to the realization that intelligent design, as a theory of origins, is no more religious, and no less scientific, than evolutionism. In the scientific community, I am not alone. There are many fine books out there on the subject. Curiously, most of the books are written by scientists who lost faith in evolution as adults, after they learned how to apply the analytical tools they were taught in college."[41] In the book The Evolution Crisis, Spencer wrote, "I finally became convinced that the theory of creation actually had a much better scientific basis than the theory of evolution, for the creation model was actually better able to explain the physical and biological complexity in the world. [...] Science has startled us with its many discoveries and advances, but it has hit a brick wall in its attempt to rid itself of the need for a creator and designer."[42]

Climatologist Patrick Michaels has defended Spencer, arguing that his religious beliefs have nothing to do with his climate change research.[43]

Forum List

Back