Climate Change Kills Tesla

Teslas are still rolling off the assembly line and onto the highways!

It's like saying not to learn to fly because airplanes can't fly in the rain.

Well, that was the case way back when.
I said extreme climate change. So you believe passenger planes are safe to fly into tornadoes and catagory 4 hurricanes? Passanger planes can take off when the temp is over 120? You best look up the facrs before you start making claims your opinion can not support.

And a normal car isn't useless in a tornado?

You can bet your life on a normal car in the extremes of the climate. You would be a fool to depend on an electric car in extreme weather emergencies. Extreme cold being what I based the thread on. The fact that your only reply is that a tesla works in the rain and you cant drive into a tornado shows that my premise is solid fact.

You can bet your life on a normal car in the extremes of the climate. You would be a fool to depend on an electric car in extreme weather emergencies. Extreme cold being what I based the thread on. The fact that your only reply is that a tesla works in the rain and you cant drive into a tornado shows that my premise is solid fact.

So are we talking extreme weather or just extreme cold here?

Like I said, back in the day airplanes couldn't fly in anything but good conditions. They developed so that airplanes can fly in many different conditions, including the EXTREME COLD of the higher atmosphere.

Just because something doesn't work NOW, doesn't mean it won't work in THE FUTURE.

Like I said, back in the day airplanes couldn't fly in anything but good conditions. They developed so that airplanes can fly in many different conditions, including the EXTREME COLD of the higher atmosphere.

Just because something doesn't work NOW, doesn't mean it won't work in THE FUTURE.
This is the future for batteries? This is the now, for Tesla. And it does not work in the extremes. Tesla is losing billions of dollars. People are buying Teslas and betting their lives on them and you are here making little quips that have nothing to do with the reality of today.

You can not depend on an electric car in the extremes of the climate. Like sitting in Los Angeles traffic for 3 hours on a normal day in the summer time. You can not depend on a Tesla if you live in a climate that remains below freezing for months. The extremes are bad, that is what I stated, it is fact. Quips about the future is simple opinion.

This is the future for batteries? This is the now, for Tesla. And it does not work in the extremes. Tesla is losing billions of dollars. People are buying Teslas and betting their lives on them and you are here making little quips that have nothing to do with the reality of today.

You can not depend on an electric car in the extremes of the climate. Like sitting in Los Angeles traffic for 3 hours on a normal day in the summer time. You can not depend on a Tesla if you live in a climate that remains below freezing for months. The extremes are bad, that is what I stated, it is fact. Quips about the future is simple opinion.

The problem is you're saying "don't do something because it won't work". The same attitude would have prevented aircraft ever being build.

I'm saying you're wrong, in case you didn't get it the last two times.

The problem is you're saying "don't do something because it won't work". The same attitude would have prevented aircraft ever being build.

Yes, I got that. What you dont get is when they built the airplane there were no flying machines. Last I checked there are milloons of cars on the road thar you can depend on in dire emergencies. See the fault in your analogy.

Yes, I got that. What you dont get is when they built the airplane there were no flying machines. Last I checked there are milloons of cars on the road thar you can depend on in dire emergencies. See the fault in your analogy.

But there were other modes of transport. They didn't need planes. When they built them they didn't do much anyway, they weren't even a viable form of transport.

Your logic is, there are cars, so don't make something different because... because we already have something.

But there were other modes of transport. They didn't need planes. When they built them they didn't do much anyway, they weren't even a viable form of transport.

Your logic is, there are cars, so don't make something different because... because we already have something.
You mean hot air balloons? They did not need planes? They did not do much? Within 12 years of the Wright brothers first flight we had fighter aircraft for war! That is doing a lot. It changed War.

The first electric car was built before the first airplane took flight. You keep arguing as if this is new technology. In a way it is, but all that technology has to do with how to keep the battery from exploding.

A Tesla has the same range as the first electric car.

Yes, we have building electric cars for over a 100 years. We build electric cars before the Model T. You like to compare the past to now. The government did not fund and subsidize airplanes or cars. But Tesla has been subsidized and funded by government. Huge differences.

You mean hot air balloons? They did not need planes? They did not do much? Within 12 years of the Wright brothers first flight we had fighter aircraft for war! That is doing a lot. It changed War.

The first electric car was built before the first airplane took flight. You keep arguing as if this is new technology. In a way it is, but all that technology has to do with how to keep the battery from exploding.

A Tesla has the same range as the first electric car.

Yes, we have building electric cars for over a 100 years. We build electric cars before the Model T. You like to compare the past to now. The government did not fund and subsidize airplanes or cars. But Tesla has been subsidized and funded by government. Huge differences.

Again, it doesn't matter when the first electric car was build. Things are changing NOW. Without electric cars, there's no need to improve electric cares. With electric cars there is.

They're far more viable now than before.

So, Tesla is being subsidized by the govt. Many, MANY companies do well because of government intervention, for example pharma companies.

Again, it doesn't matter when the first electric car was build. Things are changing NOW. Without electric cars, there's no need to improve electric cares. With electric cars there is.

So, Tesla is being subsidized by the govt. Many, MANY companies do well because of government intervention, for example pharma companies.
Pharmaceutical companies? You should start a thread on that, here it is irrelevant. All electric cars are doing is making lithium skyrocket in price. Nothing more. At that they will soon deplete the profitable supply of lithium and we will all have to find something else. Tesla will also deplete our supplies of cobalt. Most people dont think ahead like that. They want the easy gratification. Either way, Tesla is a luxury toy. Nothing more. Building something that is pure luxury and not practical only adds more pollution to the Earth, not less. I wont convince you of that. I wont convince any of the "believers". Telsa is pollution. More CO2 for less return. Sad really.

Pharmaceutical companies? You should start a thread on that, here it is irrelevant. All electric cars are doing is making lithium skyrocket in price. Nothing more. At that they will soon deplete the profitable supply of lithium and we will all have to find something else. Tesla will also deplete our supplies of cobalt. Most people dont think ahead like that. They want the easy gratification. Either way, Tesla is a luxury toy. Nothing more. Building something that is pure luxury and not practical only adds more pollution to the Earth, not less. I wont convince you of that. I wont convince any of the "believers". Telsa is pollution. More CO2 for less return. Sad really.

Just because I mention something, doesn't mean this is me starting a whole conversation about it on a massive tangent.

It's me showing that the government backs up many different types of companies because they see that it benefits the US.

Electric cars do need to be sustainable, which is going to be a problem. You've actually brought up a good argument with cobalt. However the same argument could be had for a lot of things, like current cars which require gas, which has to be found. The US is currently pumping a lot of oil out of the ground. How long can that last?

The US has 36.4 billion barrels of proven oil reserves.

The US is producing about 9 million barrels a day. Which is 3.2 billion barrels a year. At this rate the US will have gotten through its proven reserves in a little over ten years.

Now that doesn't mean the US will run out of oil. Proven excludes oil that hasn't been found.

But at some point it is going to start running dry.

Electric cars do need to be sustainable, which is going to be a problem. You've actually brought up a good argument with cobalt. However the same argument could be had for a lot of things, like current cars which require gas, which has to be found. The US is currently pumping a lot of oil out of the ground. How long can that last?

The US is producing about 9 million barrels a day. Which is 3.2 billion barrels a year. At this rate the US will have gotten through its proven reserves in a little over ten years.

Now that doesn't mean the US will run out of oil. Proven excludes oil that hasn't been found.

The US has how much cobalt, 23,000 metric tons?
A Tesla battery needs 140 lbs of cobalt
We have just enough of the element, cobalt, to make 360,000 Teslas!
Now, tell me, what is more sustainable. Using an Element in a luxury car that does not work in the extremes of climate or building our nice modern practical organic fuel burning cars?
Looks like we run out of Cobalt long before we run out of Oil.

In the new extremes of climate change a Tesla car is useless. We are wasting our natural resources building Teslas, we are releasing more CO2 into the air building Teslas. We are using coal and oil building Teslas. Now we find out that you can not depend on a Tesla in extreme weather or emergencies!

Cold Weather Driving

When the battery pack is below freezing the car will not permit charging, as this will damage the cells. One side-effect of this is that you also lose your regenerative brakes. This is shown by the yellow dotted line on the speedometer. If the car has cold soaked below freezing you may have no regenerative brakes whatsoever. Pay attention, because the car will really really coast - this can be very surprising the first time!!! You'll have to use the conventional brakes until the car warms up.

If Teslas were powered by ambien, there would be no excess CO2....but they might be erratic.

The US has how much cobalt, 23,000 metric tons?
A Tesla battery needs 140 lbs of cobalt
We have just enough of the element, cobalt, to make 360,000 Teslas!
Now, tell me, what is more sustainable. Using an Element in a luxury car that does not work in the extremes of climate or building our nice modern practical organic fuel burning cars?
Looks like we run out of Cobalt long before we run out of Oil.

But then others have cobalt. Just as others have oil.

The DRC has so much more. But then China will get that.

But then others have cobalt. Just as others have oil.

The DRC has so much more. But then China will get that.
Yes, of course. But you were specific, as Elon Musk is specific when he states he will only use Cobalt sourced in the USA.

Still, the question remains, is using elements as a fuel source for mass transportation more sustainable than using an organic fuel.

No Tricks Zone

New Study: German Mid-Sized E-Cars Produce Less CO2 Than Diesel Autos – But Only After 585,000 Kilometers!

By P Gosselin on 19. September 2018

EXCERPT:

"The German ADAC association, the equivalent of America’s AAA, carried a CO2 comparison for a variety e-autos and combustion engine cars. The results were very surprising, says German magazine Autobild here.

Today electric cars are being pushed as a clean and environmentally friendly alternative, while diesel and gasoline burning engines are being villainized as polluters and climate killers. In their comparison, however, the ADAC came up with some unexpected results. CO2 cars indeed have huge CO2 footprints.

The ADAC reminds that energy does not only get used while driving the vehicle, but also for their manufacture and later for their recycling and supply of fuel."

LINK

Forum List

Back