Clarification on the posting of PMs

JBeukema

Rookie
Apr 23, 2009
everywhere and nowhere
I know we're not allowed to post the content of a private message on the boards. Does this rule extend to discussing the content of PMs without quoting it or referring in a post to something a someone has said in a PM?If so, how specific a reference is tolerable, or is any reference to any PM content not also posted by the OP in the public boards forbidden?

For instance, is each of the following acceptable or unacceptable?

A) I was speaking with x about y and (he) said/implied z... (paraphrase)

B) I was speaking with x about y and (he) said 'z...' (quote)

C) So A says/ According to A/ To hear A tell it...

It is acceptable to quote or paraphrase the content if the poster is not named or readily obvious at first glance?

Example:
D) So I was aspeakling to someone about x
E) So someone recently said x
F)'x' (paraphrase) | So I was thinking about this statement and wanted to respond and get your thoughts...
G)'x' (unattributed quote) | So I was thinking about this statement and wanted to respond and get your thoughts...

i dont reference pms at all...normally they are private conversations...and i hope the other party respects my privacy as much as i do theirs. when in doubt dont!

The rules are the rules, as KK pointed out. You can choose to follow them or not, I don't care. I don't care what you and other posters talk about in PMs. No one does.

No posting or referencing PM's, rep comments you can.

Then what is the difference between a "private message" and the list of "visitor messages" in someone's personal profile page that anyone can look at? Are those all "rep" comments?

Then what is the difference between a "private message" and the list of "visitor messages" in someone's personal profile page that anyone can look at? Are those all "rep" comments?

Exactly what you just stated.

one is a "PRIVATE message" the other is a "visitor message" and you can decide if everyone gets to see your visitor messages or if you want to keep them for your friends only.

Its in the options on the left of your control panel if you want to change your settings ;). I have a picture in my profile of me that no one but my friends list can see, everyone else gets the hat.

and i think a lot of people who have more of a "community" feeling...chitty chat in pms...about personal things they dont want to debate on the board....seems the privacy factor of pms may be more important to this group of posters who do share in pms..

It seems like we are back to explaining what the word "is" means. Oh come on...what part of the word PRIVATE do you not understand!

You are allowed to refer to PMs and to post PMs verbatim.

However, your post will be deleted and you will be banned.

There is nothing physically stopping you from going down that road.

Exactly what you just stated.

one is a "PRIVATE message" the other is a "visitor message" and you can decide if everyone gets to see your visitor messages or if you want to keep them for your friends only.

Its in the options on the left of your control panel if you want to change your settings ;). I have a picture in my profile of me that no one but my friends list can see, everyone else gets the hat.

Ah, okay. It does get confusing. I never filled that profile thingie out. Most people fudge it anyway, so I rarely check others either.

I know we're not allowed to post the content of a private message on the boards. Does this rule extend to discussing the content of PMs without quoting it or referring in a post to something a someone has said in a PM?If so, how specific a reference is tolerable, or is any reference to any PM content not also posted by the OP in the public boards forbidden?

For instance, is each of the following acceptable or unacceptable?

A) I was speaking with x about y and (he) said/implied z... (paraphrase)

B) I was speaking with x about y and (he) said 'z...' (quote)

C) So A says/ According to A/ To hear A tell it...

It is acceptable to quote or paraphrase the content if the poster is not named or readily obvious at first glance?

Example:
D) So I was aspeakling to someone about x
E) So someone recently said x
F)'x' (paraphrase) | So I was thinking about this statement and wanted to respond and get your thoughts...
G)'x' (unattributed quote) | So I was thinking about this statement and wanted to respond and get your thoughts...

The rule is rather specific, is it not? The term "content" appears therein.

There are two exceptions:

1. Both parties agree to the PM/content being posted AND I approve it, having heard from both parties on the matter; or

2. PMs may be reported and/or forwarded to Admin/mods for action/suspected violation of board rules.

It seems like we are back to explaining what the word "is" means. Oh come on...what part of the word PRIVATE do you not understand!
I find it interesting that boards put into 'effect' rules that are impossible to enforce. Ho do you know whether they're just paraphrasing the general attitude of the target group, paraphrasing another user's PM, quoting a PM without attributing it, or taking the words from another board, a blog, the TV, or some other uncited source?

Gunny, why was the decision made that a rep comment (which is delivered privately through the PM system) may be posted by the recipient while the response to it (delivered through the same system and also a PM) may not be posted by the original sender, nor the response top that by the original recipient et al?

Gunny, why was the decision made that a rep comment (which is delivered privately through the PM system) may be posted by the recipient while the response to it (delivered through the same system and also a PM) may not be posted by the original sender, nor the response top that by the original recipient et al?
good question

Rep comments don't actually go through the PM's, though you can receive notifications in your PM box (which can be turned off) they are completely separate. As to why they are allowed to be posted and PM's not, I don't know that part. But knowing it, it's wise to just not post anything in one that you don't want a person to share ... just in case ... unless you trust the one you are repping. You can leave the comment blank.

JB's just concerned because he fears his obnoxious, thinly veiled threatening, pms will be made public.

The decision was not made. Until recently, reputation was not part of the PM system. A new rep comment appeared in the same box top-right of page that notifies the user of PMs/VMs. The latest update incorporated a PM notification.

The rule that rep comments may be posted predates that update.

Forum List

Back