Clarence Thomas - 5 Year Silence

I tend not to ask many questions as well. It's much better to listen.

If you're black, you better kowtow to the left and faithfully take the positions you are instructed to take, lest you be defamed and smeared.

The American left has zero tolerance for blacks leaving the plantation for the center or Allah forbid, the right. Those who do will find the punishment swift and relentless. Ask JC Watts, Alan Keyes, Clarence Thomas, Condi Rice or even Colon Powell. (Who has since been cowed into submission.)

You can take the democrats out of the klan, but you can't take the klan out of the dims - even with Robert Byrd burning in hell.

She is partisan no doubt, but that is just a plain ignorant attack Jill!

I find her being a racist to be plain ignorant.

I'm going to bet, dim bulb, that if I look at your posts, I'm going to find out you're racist trash. But no one criticizes Thomas b/c he's black. He's criticized because he's an incompetent jurist.

Nice rants, though, loon.

But I imagine you would ask if you had a concern that wasn't being addressed.

That's why its a troubling allegation. If its true (and again, big if), you're telling me in 5 years a SCOTUS Justice has never once had a concern or issue that wasn't addressed by the other 8? I find that kinda hard to believe.

Thomas isn't smart enough to ask questions.

Dat cuz he black...

BTW, don't you have a cross burning to go to?

Websters abridged notes that the proper pronunciation of the word democrat is "fucking bigot."

She is partisan no doubt, but that is just a plain ignorant attack Jill!

Well, he's already proven he's ignorant, so no surprise there.

Thing is, thinking Thomas is stupid has nothing to do with partisanship. You will never here me say Scalia is stupid, even though I can't think of a thing we would agree upon. Ethically challenged? Absolutely. But not stupid

You people are pathetic. He has a long list of written opinions. He doesn't have to put on a show for your benefit to prove that a Black Conservative can be intelligent.

Supreme Court Collection: Opinions by Justice Thomas

No one ever said his clerks didn't draft opinions.

But, again for people who don't have a clue, the process requires questioning. And any attorney who has ever argued an appeal knows what it means when you have a hot bench and when you don't.

Oh. Of course a Black Conservative Man cannot write his own opinions.

How pathetic. If a conservative person started a thread questioning Sotamayor's ability to speak or write, said person would be lobbed a hailstorm of racism accusations.

Oh. Of course a Black Conservative Man cannot write his own opinions.

How pathetic. If a conservative person started a thread questioning Sotamayor's ability to speak or write, said person would be lobbed a hailstorm of racism accusations.

No Supreme Court Justice writes their own opinions. Black, White, Latino, Male, Female, Animal, Vegetable or Mineral. :lol:

Circuit Judges and most of the District Judges operate the same way.

They review them, make a few revisions, then they sign them. Why do you think being a Judicial clerk is such a coveted position? That's who writes the law. The Justice tells them how they want it done, the clerks do it. Even if they wanted to they don't have time to research and write the opinions and still keep up with their dockets.

The "criticism" is total horse shit.

By the time a case makes it to the SCOTUS, it has been thoroughly digested, researched, been the subject of several lower Court decisions, has had countless briefs of fine-tooth-comb legal analysis prepared and argued and counter-argeed. Then, as if that weren't enough, the litigants get to make additional oral arguments before the SCOTUS bench and get peppered by the other Jurists with questions designed to nail down the bases for the upcoming decisions. Justice Thomas has even DISCUSSED his reluctance to ask questions from the bench: "if you wait long enough, someone will ask your question."

Here's a more complete quote:
Published: December 14, 2000

JUSTICE CLARENCE THOMAS

Remarks yesterday in a televised question-and-answer session with high school students, when asked why he did not pose questions in oral arguments before the Supreme Court:

''There's no reason to add to the volume. I also believe strongly, unless I want an answer, I don't ask things. I don't ask for entertainment, I don't ask to give people a hard time. I have some very active colleagues who like to ask questions. Usually, if you wait long enough, someone will ask your question. The other thing, I was on that other side of the podium before, in my earlier life, and it's hard to stand up by yourself and to have judges who are going to rule on your case ask you tough questions. I don't want to give them a hard time. But I'm going to give you a more personal reason, and I think this is probably the first time I ever even told anybody about it. How old are you? You're 16. When I was 16, I was sitting as the only black kid in my class, and I had grown up speaking a kind of a dialect. It's called Geechee. Some people call it Gullah now, and people praise it now. But they used to make fun of us back then. It's not standard English. When I transferred to an all-white school at your age, I was self-conscious, like we all are. It's like if we get pimples at 16, or we grow six inches and we're taller than everybody else, or our feet grow or something; we get self-conscious. And the problem was that I would correct myself midsentence. I was trying to speak standard English. I was thinking in standard English but speaking another language. So I learned that -- I just started developing the habit of listening. And it just got to be -- I didn't ask questions in college or law school. And I found that I could learn better just listening. And if I have a question I could ask it later. For all those reasons, and a few others, I just think that it's more in my nature to listen rather than to ask a bunch of questions. And they get asked anyway. The only reason I could see for asking the questions is to let people know I've got something to ask. That's not a legitimate reason in the Supreme Court of the United States.''
In His Own Words - Justice Clarence Thomas - NYTimes.com [Emphasis added].

If Justice Thomas has determined that posing more "questions" at that point is simply posturing, then why on Earth should he have to pretend to "ask" probing meaningful questions which have already been repeatedly asked and addressed?

It's not like he doesn't already have the Constitution and precedent a-plenty to guide him.

On the other hand, if a strong line of cases have been decided in a manner which he deems to constitute a violation of the actual meaning of the Constitution, he has suggested that it is better to GET IT RIGHT than to simply adhere to "precedent." I agree. I am curious how people can possibly disagree, in fact.

If that is so ...then no justice in over 40 years has had the unique talents of Clarence Thomas to perform such a critical analysis for 5 years without having to ask a single question

1. You aren't a supreme court justice
2. The process requires questioning.
3. Anyone who is too stupid to ask a question doesn't belong ing the bench

Does it really matter?

He is just going to vote how Scalia tells him anyway

I'm going to bet, dim bulb, that if I look at your posts, I'm going to find out you're racist trash.

We've already established that you are.

So go for it, find racists posts from me.

But no one criticizes Thomas b/c he's black.

Bull-fucking-shit.

You attack, not criticize. You attack because he is a black man who DARES to defy the democratic party. You can deny all you like, but it is rank racism. Sure you hate Roberts as you hate all who are not party members, but NEVER will you launch the kind of filth at him that you do Thomas, because in your mind Thomas is a defiler, one who has defied his role as a a loyal minion of the party - as ALL blacks are expected to be.

You people are pathetic. He has a long list of written opinions. He doesn't have to put on a show for your benefit to prove that a Black Conservative can be intelligent.

Supreme Court Collection: Opinions by Justice Thomas

Yeah, I posted his 2009 lead decision several pages back.

It doesn't matter to the leftists. Thomas is a black man off the plantation, they will lie, smear and snicker to smear the man. It's the politics of personal destruction taken to the most base of levels, so deep is the hatred the left holds for black people who don't obey them.

No one ever said his clerks didn't draft opinions.

You're calling the man stupid in your quest to smear him.

You signed up to the lie of your fellow leftist that Thomas hasn't spoken in 5 years (absurdly stupid.)

Fact is, you are simply a racist who will not abide with a black man holding conservative ideas. You of the left have outlined the positions that black people may hold - woe be to those uppity ones who defy you.

Justice Thomas has even DISCUSSED his reluctance to ask questions from the bench: "if you wait long enough, someone will ask your question."

A Supreme Court Justice with this view?

What if there is no "long enough" and his questions do not get asked?

I'm amazed that some would agree with this extension. On a discussion board, why not?

In my personal view, for a Supreme Court Justice to follow such an extension is a travesty.

I thought Canadians were too polite to a fault. Justice Thomas takes it to another level.

The level of invisibility.

So because he doesn't posture properly, he is disengaged and doesn't care? Maybe during the first 15 years he was on the court he figured out the statement you quoted was actually true. I imagine if at some point that was not the case, he'd ask a question.

Why does being quiet automatically equate to being stupid or disengaged?

In my view it equates to invisibility.

As well, to say that sooner or later someone will ask the question anyway equates to a lack of job responsibility. I would think he would stand vocally to his written views.

I guess not.

Forum List

Back