Clam Chowder (Regional): Sunday Decision?

Abishai100

VIP Member
Sep 22, 2013
Clam Chowder has become a favorite food all across America, but there are very important/significant regional variations in the preparation of the beloved clam-rich soup.

The two main variants (the most popular) are the iconic New England Clam Chowder (a creamy-white soup) and the inventive Manhattan Clam Chowder (a thinner more red tomato-rich clam soup).

New England Clam Chowder (NECC) and Manhattan Clam Chowder (MCC) have become 'culinary rivals.'

NECC is more popular among Caucasian-Americans, while MCC is enjoyed more by ethnic minorities (so it seems). However, there are numerous fans of both in our great pluralistic melting-pot we call America!

Since this year's Super Bowl matchup features the regional powerhouses the New England Patriots and the mighty underdog Philadelphia Eagles, people might be asking if the NECC or the MCC will benefit (in marketing/sales) from the outcome of the championship game. If the Patriots win, many New England residents might relish with a tasty bowl of NECC to celebrate for months. If the Eagles win (and Philadelphia is closer to Manhattan, New York), many Philly residents might relish with a tasty bowl of MCC to defy the Patriots' millennium-old domination in the NFL(!).

So come Super Bowl Sunday, will you consider how sports and media-marketing might 'impact' your personal 'cheering' of the NECC and the MCC? Will you 'crown' a culinary victor at the conclusion of the big game?

Personally, I find the NECC to be much more creamy, tasty, and refined, though I also think that if the MCC is served piping-hot with lemon-juice and cilantro, it is a terrific flavorful (and more fun!) rival for the otherwise (arguably) more 'well-known' NECC. Ironically, most restaurants in America that serve Clam Chowder serve NECC but not necessarily MCC. Maybe the underdog Philadelphia Eagles(!) can change this trend...

====

TOM CRUISE: I prefer the NECC.
TOM HANKS: I don't mind the MCC (at all)!
TOM CRUISE: After the Super Bowl, the NECC will reign.
TOM HANKS: That's possible since the Patriots will win yet again, and marketing rules.
TOM CRUISE: Well, ya never know, maybe the Eagles will shock everyone!
TOM HANKS: Right. Nick Foles will have to 'stand-up' to Tom Brady (no joke).
TOM CRUISE: If the Patriots (my pick) win, you buy me a bowl of NECC.
TOM HANKS: Deal. If the Eagles (my pick!) win, you buy me a bowl of MCC.
TOM CRUISE: Cool. Maybe you and I should make a movie about NECC/MCC!
TOM HANKS: Yes, "The Great NECC/MCC Rivalry" (director: Ang Lee).
TOM CRUISE: Ang Lee is terrific; that has potential; let's see who wins on Sunday.
TOM HANKS: Deal. Leo DiCaprio(!) should have made a movie about Super Bowl Sunday.

====

{NECC & MCC}

chowders.jpg

Clam Chowder has become a favorite food all across America, but there are very important/significant regional variations in the preparation of the beloved clam-rich soup.

The two main variants (the most popular) are the iconic New England Clam Chowder (a creamy-white soup) and the inventive Manhattan Clam Chowder (a thinner more red tomato-rich clam soup).

New England Clam Chowder (NECC) and Manhattan Clam Chowder (MCC) have become 'culinary rivals.'

NECC is more popular among Caucasian-Americans, while MCC is enjoyed more by ethnic minorities (so it seems). However, there are numerous fans of both in our great pluralistic melting-pot we call America!

Since this year's Super Bowl matchup features the regional powerhouses the New England Patriots and the mighty underdog Philadelphia Eagles, people might be asking if the NECC or the MCC will benefit (in marketing/sales) from the outcome of the championship game. If the Patriots win, many New England residents might relish with a tasty bowl of NECC to celebrate for months. If the Eagles win (and Philadelphia is closer to Manhattan, New York), many Philly residents might relish with a tasty bowl of MCC to defy the Patriots' millennium-old domination in the NFL(!).

So come Super Bowl Sunday, will you consider how sports and media-marketing might 'impact' your personal 'cheering' of the NECC and the MCC? Will you 'crown' a culinary victor at the conclusion of the big game?

Personally, I find the NECC to be much more creamy, tasty, and refined, though I also think that if the MCC is served piping-hot with lemon-juice and cilantro, it is a terrific flavorful (and more fun!) rival for the otherwise (arguably) more 'well-known' NECC. Ironically, most restaurants in America that serve Clam Chowder serve NECC but not necessarily MCC. Maybe the underdog Philadelphia Eagles(!) can change this trend...

====

TOM CRUISE: I prefer the NECC.
TOM HANKS: I don't mind the MCC (at all)!
TOM CRUISE: After the Super Bowl, the NECC will reign.
TOM HANKS: That's possible since the Patriots will win yet again, and marketing rules.
TOM CRUISE: Well, ya never know, maybe the Eagles will shock everyone!
TOM HANKS: Right. Nick Foles will have to 'stand-up' to Tom Brady (no joke).
TOM CRUISE: If the Patriots (my pick) win, you buy me a bowl of NECC.
TOM HANKS: Deal. If the Eagles (my pick!) win, you buy me a bowl of MCC.
TOM CRUISE: Cool. Maybe you and I should make a movie about NECC/MCC!
TOM HANKS: Yes, "The Great NECC/MCC Rivalry" (director: Ang Lee).
TOM CRUISE: Ang Lee is terrific; that has potential; let's see who wins on Sunday.
TOM HANKS: Deal. Leo DiCaprio(!) should have made a movie about Super Bowl Sunday.

====

{NECC & MCC}

View attachment 174706

There is no "rivalry." There is only ONE clam chowda, and that is New England clam chowda. What you are talking about is Manhattan chowder.

Forum List

Back