Claire McCaskill Lectures Missouri On Misguided Prop C Vote: “People Don’t Realize Ho

Why haven't they opted out of Medicaid yet? What's the deal, Missouri?

You're not forced to buy Medicare.
actually, you ARE
and if you look on your pay stub you will see it

You are forced to pay a tax to suppliment Medicare, not buy Medicare insurance. Everyone who pays income taxes pays this 2.6% or whatever it is these days.

Far cry from the government saying you have to buy an insurance policy or we will fine the shit outta you.

actually, you ARE
and if you look on your pay stub you will see it

You are forced to pay a tax to suppliment Medicare, not buy Medicare insurance. Everyone who pays income taxes pays this 2.6% or whatever it is these days.

Far cry from the government saying you have to buy an insurance policy or we will fine the shit outta you.
but you are forced to pay it and it is for your medicare(when you get to where you need it)

Maybe because Medicaid doesn't penalize people with jail terms for not taking part in it?

1) Neither does this law. Are you under the impression you can go to jail for not having health insurance under it?

2) So the consensus is now that "ObamaCare" hasn't been rejected by Missouri, just the individual mandate? Looks like we're all on the same page.

As noted by Divecon, of course you are. You don't opt into the payroll tax deduction.

Imagine we went the Paul Ryan road and privatized Medicare via vouchers. You're then forced to pay in through the payroll tax, but when your day comes to collect you get to spend your benefit/contribution on any private insurer you like. That's this, minus the time lapse and intermediate pass through the federal government.

edit// I should also note here I was talking about Medicaid, a state-administered program that's funded primarily by the federal government, not Medicare. Missouri runs MO HealthNet (with the majority of the costs being paid by the federal government), they don't run Medicare for beneficiaries who happen to live in their state. They can opt out of Medicaid and decline the responsibilities of running it (and the federal money they accept through it) if they really wanted the feds out of their state health care system.

Last edited:
Actually we are dumb fucks,look at congress,we elected them,we are getting what we deserve.
A bitter pill but one that might bring some real change.Not crap we have been getting for years,tey all say the same damn things and we lap it up like pig to the trough on election day,then cry like school girls the rest of the year.

Term limits,we have proven our incompetence by electing dip shits time after time.
Balanced budget by law,the have proven the incompetence time and time again at managing OUR
money.There are others but those two would go a long way for real change in DC.

It's so sad how our elected officials have to tolerate and struggle against the uneducated masses. Bring on the Ivy League ruling class.

Whats really sad is the time and money wasted by elected officials on fruitless gestures that have no standing in court!

The court in VA didn't think it was fruitless and gave the go-ahead for their suit to proceed. So I'd say your post is a worthless piece of crap.

Time will tell if it is or not!

Why haven't they opted out of Medicaid yet? What's the deal, Missouri?

Ahh, the ever-popular leftist "all-or-nothing" ploy, which tells us that unless one tries to do EVERYTHING all at once, any efforts to do the right thing are pointless, meaningless, and probably false. Extremely convincing to anyone with the IQ of a lobotomized Chihuahua . . . which probably explains why it's so popular with leftists.

Ahh, the ever-popular leftist "all-or-nothing" ploy, which tells us that unless one tries to do EVERYTHING all at once, any efforts to do the right thing are pointless, meaningless, and probably false.

So withdrawing from Medicaid and refusing federal money/guidance for MO Health Net is part of the agenda (er, "everything")? Excellent, I look forward to their next ballot initiative.

I'll also be very interested to see whether the state requests a federal Planning and Establishments grant to build an exchange. We know they've already requested federal funds to operate a high-risk pool for the uninsurable.

I suppose I just haven't learned to see past their continued enthusiastic participation in joint federal-state programs/grants and appreciate the true meaning of a legally irrelevant ballot initiative passed in a Republican-heavy midterm primary in early August. But I'm sure they'll get to "EVERYTHING" soon enough.

I heard Ed Rendell the other day exclaiming that the reason Americans aren't behind Obamacare is because they "just don't understand".

Translated: They're too fucking stupid.

Good translation.

The Clowns think we are all stupid and we NEED THEM TO SHOW US THE WAY. LOL

Funny. None of the Clowns read the bill. Some of the Clowns had to be payed off to vote for it. But its all good for we the stupid, ignorant taxpayers to foot said bill.

Yeah. Works for me. How about you???? NOT

Hope every State in the Union has a Prop 9.

Hope and Change?? Bullshit more likely.

Last edited:
It's so sad how our elected officials have to tolerate and struggle against the uneducated masses. Bring on the Ivy League ruling class.

Amazing innit? Can you imagine anything more painful than having to listen to "The People"?

We're going to Reform Medicare. We'll partially privatize it so that people have an incentive to shop for providers and providers actually have to compete for customers instead of just filling out US Government forms.

Maybe because Medicaid doesn't penalize people with jail terms for not taking part in it?

1) Neither does this law. Are you under the impression you can go to jail for not having health insurance under it?

2) So the consensus is now that "ObamaCare" hasn't been rejected by Missouri, just the individual mandate? Looks like we're all on the same page.
Yes it does actually. You will be fined by the IRS. WHat happens when you don't pay the fine?
That is not the consensus, whatever that means. The initiative was about Obamacare, the most obnoxious feature is the individual mandate. And if the mandate is found to be unconstitutional, the rest of it goes as well. This was almost unique to this legislation btw.

Ahh, the ever-popular leftist "all-or-nothing" ploy, which tells us that unless one tries to do EVERYTHING all at once, any efforts to do the right thing are pointless, meaningless, and probably false.

So withdrawing from Medicaid and refusing federal money/guidance for MO Health Net is part of the agenda (er, "everything")? Excellent, I look forward to their next ballot initiative.

I'll also be very interested to see whether the state requests a federal Planning and Establishments grant to build an exchange. We know they've already requested federal funds to operate a high-risk pool for the uninsurable.

I suppose I just haven't learned to see past their continued enthusiastic participation in joint federal-state programs/grants and appreciate the true meaning of a legally irrelevant ballot initiative passed in a Republican-heavy midterm primary in early August. But I'm sure they'll get to "EVERYTHING" soon enough.

So if something isn't going to be tried the very next day, then it isn't part of an agenda? Great, we can toss cap n tax and card check right now.

Last edited:

Nice attempt at doubling back and AGAIN forcing your "all-or-nothing" ploy onto others. Unfortunately for you, it STILL only works on people stupid enough to be leftists.

Tell you what you do, Sparky. You concentrate on coming up with YOUR OWN agenda - perhaps something that doesn't inspire wholesale revolt in the electorate, hmmm? - and let US worry about what we want to put forward and when on our side. Tend your own business and stop trying to tell us how to tend ours. How's that for a big can-do?

I'll be very interested in see whether or not leftists can come up with anything better than "Republicans suck! Look, they aren't being as Republican as we would be if we were them, so they're liars!" Judging by your posts, I'd say they can't. By all means, though, feel free to hold your breath waiting for us to give a rat's ass about impressing you.

I wish I was as sure that you folks were going to get to ANYTHING at any point in time.

We're going to Reform Medicare. We'll partially privatize it so that people have an incentive to shop for providers and providers actually have to compete for customers instead of just filling out US Government forms.

That was done 13 years ago (and is ongoing). It led to higher spending.

Yes it does actually. You will be fined by the IRS. WHat happens when you don't pay the fine?

Apparently not what you think happens:

(g) Administration and Procedure-

`(1) IN GENERAL- The penalty provided by this section shall be paid upon notice and demand by the Secretary, and except as provided in paragraph (2), shall be assessed and collected in the same manner as an assessable penalty under subchapter B of chapter 68.
`(2) SPECIAL RULES- Notwithstanding any other provision of law--
`(A) WAIVER OF CRIMINAL PENALTIES- In the case of any failure by a taxpayer to timely pay any penalty imposed by this section, such taxpayer shall not be subject to any criminal prosecution or penalty with respect to such failure.
`(B) LIMITATIONS ON LIENS AND LEVIES- The Secretary shall not--
`(i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or
`(ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.'.​

Essentially they can withhold tax rebates up to the amount owed. But criminal penalties, liens, and levies are out. You can't go to jail for not having health insurance.

That is not the consensus, whatever that means. The initiative was about Obamacare, the most obnoxious feature is the individual mandate. And if the mandate is found to be unconstitutional, the rest of it goes as well. This was almost unique to this legislation btw.

And yet Prop C didn't touch any of the provisions of the legislation other than the individual mandate. It didn't reject the insurance market reforms, it didn't reject the new tax credits, and it didn't reject any grant money Missouri will apply for to pursue state delivery system reforms. They didn't seek to nullify the law, they sought to nullify one section of it (Sec. 1501).

Tell you what you do, Sparky. You concentrate on coming up with YOUR OWN agenda - perhaps something that doesn't inspire wholesale revolt in the electorate, hmmm? - and let US worry about what we want to put forward and when on our side. Tend your own business and stop trying to tell us how to tend ours. How's that for a big can-do?

Wholesale revolt? That's what I'm asking for. Go all in. Let's see a little commitment, not a meaningless "statement." Missouri can't reject federal law in anything more than a symbolic gesture with no weight. They can, however, withdraw from Medicaid and either fund MO HealthNet with their own money or dismantle it.

Now there's a message.

Thank Green, I have to tell my Mom and Dad that Medicare was Privatized. That sure is great news. Very Informative!

Where do I find out more about this Privatization?

Forum List

Back