"Civil rights" leaders want more special rights for certain people

TNHarley

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2012
Lawsuits Target 'Debtors' Prisons' Across the Country

Civil rights lawyers are using a new strategy to change a common court practice that they have long argued unfairly targets the poor.
At issue is the way courts across the country sometimes issue arrest warrants for indigent people when they fall behind on paying court fees and fines owed for minor offenses like traffic tickets. Last year, an NPR investigation showed that courts in all 50 states are requiring more of these payments. Now attorneys are aggressively suing cities, police and courts, forcing reform.
Since September, six lawsuits were filed against New Orleans; Nashville, Tenn.; Biloxi and Jackson, Miss.; Benton County, Wash.; and Alexander City, Ala. In the past year, lawyers have also won settlements that have forced courts to change practices in Montgomery, Ala.; DeKalb County, Ga.; and St. Louis County, Mo.
Biloxi is the latest city to be sued. Nusrat Choudhury, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union who filed the lawsuit, charges the city runs an illegal "debtors' prison" when it puts indigent people in jail without adequately trying to determine whether the person has the means to pay court fines and fees or without then offering adequate alternative ways to pay off a fine, like being offered the chance to do community service.

"People like Miss Kennedy," says Choudhury. "A single mom, who is struggling to find work and then loses her job — her part-time cleaning job — when she's jailed for being poor."
Also this week, the Southern Poverty Law Center filed a complaint against a judge in Alabama who gave impoverished people who owed court fines a choice: Go to jail or donate blood at the bloodmobile across the street.
----
My favorite : "A single mom, who is struggling to find work and then loses her job — her part-time cleaning job — when she's jailed for being poor."
No, asshole. She is being jailed because she couldn't accept her responsibilities for BREAKING THE LAW.

Do people want to be equal or not? This rhetoric is getting REALLY old.

I'm sorry, I have to disagree.

Using fines as a source of revenue is wrong.

It lets politicians off the hook for explaining why they need more money and f**ks those least able to fight back.

AND considering it's government the process is bureaucratic, badly administered and difficult to negotiate, and any mistakes fuck the victim while there is zero accountability for the clerks and bureaucrats.

I've been poor and been fucked by a parking ticket.

I've known people who have NOT been informed of some problem and then been held accountable, for years for not following up on some minor bit on bullshit.

And such issues do tend to snowball.

THese assholes love their late fees and additional court "costs".

If these assholes can't justify their spending to the voters, then stop that spending, don't go find additional revenue behind the scenes.

It lets politicians off the hook for explaining why they need more money and f**ks those least able to fight back.

AND considering it's government the process is bureaucratic, badly administered and difficult to negotiate, and any mistakes fuck the victim while there is zero accountability for the clerks and bureaucrats.

I've known people who have NOT been informed of some problem and then been held accountable, for years for not following up on some minor bit on bullshit.

If these assholes can't justify their spending to the voters, then stop that spending, don't go find additional revenue behind the scenes.
If people are poor, you would think that would be more reason to follow the law..:dunno:

If people are poor, you would think that would be more reason to follow the law..:dunno:

If people are poor, that is all the more pressure to cut corners.

Who gets in trouble for being late to work?

If it's the stock boy, he gets written up. Too many of those he gets fired. So he speeds to get to work and gets a 400$ ticket that he can't pay. Things snowball and his life is seriously impacted, perhaps permanently.

The manager? If he's late, no one says shit. And if he gets pulled over because he happened to be speeding anyway, he pays the 400$ fine and he barely notices.

This is about politicians who get elected by promising people free shit, and then can't justify the level of spending to meet their promises, so they go looking for "innovative" sources of funding.

If it's the stock boy, he gets written up. Too many of those he gets fired. So he speeds to get to work and gets a 400$ ticket that he can't pay. Things snowball and his life is seriously impacted, perhaps permanently.

The manager? If he's late, no one says shit. And if he gets pulled over because he happened to be speeding anyway, he pays the 400$ fine and he barely notices.

This is about politicians who get elected by promising people free shit, and then can't justify the level of spending to meet their promises, so they go looking for "innovative" sources of funding.
So what about the people that just don't give a shit? Just let them slide too? Or should we make certain requirements and make it a 2,000 page law?
What about equality? Should no one have to pay fines?

This reminds me of the zero tolerance crap they started in the Corps back in the early 80s, where we started busting and fining 17/18yr old kids for bouncing a check. The old adage, "you can't get blood out of a rock, so don't try to stick your fangs into one" applies. There are other ways for the State to get their pound of flesh, it just takes a little creativity and innovation, which are obviously not core competencies of employees of the State.

This reminds me of the zero tolerance crap they started in the Corps back in the early 80s, where we started busting and fining 17/18yr old kids for bouncing a check. The old adage, "you can't get blood out of a rock, so don't try to stick your fangs into one" applies. There are other ways for the State to get their pound of flesh, it just takes a little creativity and innovation, which are obviously not core competencies of employees of the State.
The OP noted one judge tried to give them the option of donating blood and he is getting chewed out for it.

The OP noted one judge tried to give them the option of donating blood and he is getting chewed out for it.

I suspect those fine hypocrites at SPLC don't want the public blood supply tainted by darkie blood. :lol:

Being a stock boy is not a license to speed. Get up on time. Problem solved

God forbid Americans practice responsibility. Bigot.

Civil rights lawyers are using a new strategy to change a common court practice that they have long argued unfairly targets the poor.
At issue is the way courts across the country sometimes issue arrest warrants for indigent people when they fall behind on paying court fees and fines owed for minor offenses like traffic tickets. Last year, an NPR investigation showed that courts in all 50 states are requiring more of these payments. Now attorneys are aggressively suing cities, police and courts, forcing reform.
Since September, six lawsuits were filed against New Orleans; Nashville, Tenn.; Biloxi and Jackson, Miss.; Benton County, Wash.; and Alexander City, Ala. In the past year, lawyers have also won settlements that have forced courts to change practices in Montgomery, Ala.; DeKalb County, Ga.; and St. Louis County, Mo.
Biloxi is the latest city to be sued. Nusrat Choudhury, an attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union who filed the lawsuit, charges the city runs an illegal "debtors' prison" when it puts indigent people in jail without adequately trying to determine whether the person has the means to pay court fines and fees or without then offering adequate alternative ways to pay off a fine, like being offered the chance to do community service.

"People like Miss Kennedy," says Choudhury. "A single mom, who is struggling to find work and then loses her job — her part-time cleaning job — when she's jailed for being poor."
Also this week, the Southern Poverty Law Center filed a complaint against a judge in Alabama who gave impoverished people who owed court fines a choice: Go to jail or donate blood at the bloodmobile across the street.
----
My favorite : "A single mom, who is struggling to find work and then loses her job — her part-time cleaning job — when she's jailed for being poor."
No, asshole. She is being jailed because she couldn't accept her responsibilities for BREAKING THE LAW.

Based on the rhetoric from the left, they want equality when it comes to having what someone else has but not the level of responsibility when it involves being held to the same standard. I agree this person was not jailed for being poor. If that's the case, being poor is the reason that must be claimed for having received whatever it was for which she was fined.

Not buying it. Get up an hour earlier lazy stock boy.

So what about the people that just don't give a shit? Just let them slide too? Or should we make certain requirements and make it a 2,000 page law?
What about equality? Should no one have to pay fines?

How do you know someone just doesn't give a shit?

Do we really need speeding tickets to be so high?

You don't need a 400$ ticket to enforce the traffic laws. THat's because some politicians wants money without explaining why.

You really want to fuck up some kid's life because he was late for work?

He choose to break the law. Responsibility is great, whether people like it or not.

----

Based on the rhetoric from the left, they want equality when it comes to having what someone else has but not the level of responsibility when it involves being held to the same standard. I agree this person was not jailed for being poor. If that's the case, being poor is the reason that must be claimed for having received whatever it was for which she was fined.

Agreed, this person was not jailed for being poor.

Just because the Left are all assholes, doesn't mean that we should not consider that these fines, and their methods of enforcement might not be an unreasonable burden on the poor.

Tell the freaking politicians if they want to spend money, to be prepared to make the case for the spending to the tax payers, or to not do the spending.

He choose to break the law. Responsibility is great, whether people like it or not.

IS the punishment really reasonable for the "crime" involved?

IMO, no.

Do we really want our local governments to be this predatory when they look at their citizens?

Tell the politicians that if they want to spend money they need to explain to the tax payers why the spending is good for them, not find "innovative" means of funding.

IMO, no.

Do we really want our local governments to be this predatory when they look at their citizens?

Tell the politicians that if they want to spend money they need to explain to the tax payers why the spending is good for them, not find "innovative" means of funding.
While I admit 400 bucks is ridiculous, the fine is perfectly acceptable. The fact is, if people are responsible, they wouldn't have to worry about it.

----

Agreed, this person was not jailed for being poor.

Just because the Left are all assholes, doesn't mean that we should not consider that these fines, and their methods of enforcement might not be an unreasonable burden on the poor.

Tell the freaking politicians if they want to spend money, to be prepared to make the case for the spending to the tax payers, or to not do the spending.

To say it was based on SES of the person implies that poor people shouldn't be written tickets when they violate the law because they may not be able to pay them and this could result. In other words, receiving or not receiving is based on economics not actions.

IMO, no.

While I admit 400 bucks is ridiculous, the fine is perfectly acceptable. The fact is, if people are responsible, they wouldn't have to worry about it.

If I'm not mistaken, the whole thing started with the person doing something they shouldn't be doing. If Action A does not occur, Result B doesn't happen.

It's another example of the left thinking whether or not the determination of holding someone responsible for doing wrong should be based on economics rather than the action itself.

Forum List

Back