Civil Rights Groups Sue Over Anti-Democratic Laws Targeting Jackson, Mississippi

Jessica-stormlover

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2021
Civil Rights Groups Sue Over Anti-Democratic Laws Targeting Jackson, Mississippi

April 24, 2023

"SNIP........
WASHINGTON, D.C. — On Friday, April 21, the NAACP, Mississippi State Conference of the NAACP, Jackson City Branch of the NAACP and six residents of Jackson, Mississippi filed a federal lawsuit challenging two recently enacted laws that target Jackson’s majority-Black population. The complaint, which was filed against Mississippi Gov. Tate Reeves (R), Mississippi Attorney General Lynn Fitch (R), the chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court and other law enforcement officials, challenges House Bill 1020 and Senate Bill 2343, two bills that were signed into law on the same day the lawsuit was filed. The plaintiffs contend that these two anti-democratic laws intentionally “discriminate[] against the majority-Black residents of Jackson on the basis of race in violation of the Equal Protection Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment of the U.S. Constitution” and ask the court to block their enforcement.
Good, this shit needs to be defeated and sent back to nazi germany.

We aren't a democracy, we are a Republic and the Constitution guarantees that every state shall have a Republican form of government.

"Democracy Docket"? What the hell is that? It doesn't even try to be fair and balanced when it proclaims that the Mississippi laws are anti-democratic.

You think having judges appointed by the politically powerful is better?
On the whole I think it's a fair system, at least in my state.

Hell, for years the rep for my district and later speaker for the Virginia House of Delegates was my small town Veterinarian.

I'd trust his judgment to pick a good judge a lot more than the voters to vote-in some asshat who had the backing of the good-ol-boys in the district.

Forum List

Back