Citizen United being used to defend Disney over DeSantis attacks.

We are powerless against government. That is the price we pay for electing corrupt people.

So, maybe if you people would quit voting for corrupt people it might help.

But Odin knows you cannot stop voting for your beloved party members.

Manhandled? You keep using that word but I don't think you know what it means.
What you think is entirely your concern.

DeSantis's calculus of grandstanding against Disney to promote his political ambitions has backfired. The Florida taxpayer will be forced to foot the bill for his show of petty authoritarianism.

... “That’s going to cost us money,” Martin Garcia of the oversight board said recently of squabbling with Disney. “We’re going to have to raise taxes to pay for that.”
It wasn’t that long ago when DeSantis was reaching out to Florida’s LGBTQ+ community — being a governor for all Floridians.
In June 2019, DeSantis and his wife appeared at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando to mark the anniversary of the deadly 2016 shooting rampage there. They were approached by a state representative who expressed disappointment that the DeSantises’ proclamation about “Pulse Remembrance Day” hadn’t specifically mentioned the queer or Hispanic communities. And you know what the governor did? He corrected the omission, later tweeting: “today Casey DeSantis and I joined the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities in Orlando to pay our respects as our state and nation mourn and honor the precious lives that were lost.”
In 2018, during a Republican primary forum as he sought the governorship, DeSantis was asked about transgender people and the restroom debate in many states, and he said: “Getting into the bathroom wars, I don’t think that’s a good use of our time.
Indeed.
What changed? His ambitions.
I wonder whether Floridians, who reelected DeSantis less than a year ago, are hungry for tax dollars to be spent fighting the biggest single-site employer in the country.

What you think is entirely your concern.

DeSantis's calculus of grandstanding against Disney to promote his political ambitions has backfired. The Florida taxpayer will be forced to foot the bill for his petty authoritarianism.

... “That’s going to cost us money,” Martin Garcia of the oversight board said recently of squabbling with Disney. “We’re going to have to raise taxes to pay for that.”
It wasn’t that long ago when DeSantis was reaching out to Florida’s LGBTQ+ community — being a governor for all Floridians.
In June 2019, DeSantis and his wife appeared at the Pulse nightclub in Orlando to mark the anniversary of the deadly 2016 shooting rampage there. They were approached by a state representative who expressed disappointment that the DeSantises’ proclamation about “Pulse Remembrance Day” hadn’t specifically mentioned the queer or Hispanic communities. And you know what the governor did? He corrected the omission, later tweeting: “today Casey DeSantis and I joined the LGBTQ and Hispanic communities in Orlando to pay our respects as our state and nation mourn and honor the precious lives that were lost.”
In 2018, during a Republican primary forum as he sought the governorship, DeSantis was asked about transgender people and the restroom debate in many states, and he said: “Getting into the bathroom wars, I don’t think that’s a good use of our time.
Indeed.
What changed? His ambitions.
I wonder whether Floridians, who reelected DeSantis less than a year ago, are hungry for tax dollars to be spent fighting the biggest single-site employer in the country.

Which does absolutely nothing to support your hyperbole. Fail.

I've noted ever since the ruling that it was the correct ruling. That the government has no business going after either individuals or a business because of what they have to say. So tell me, why should a governor be able to attack a business simply because that business has a business model the governor disagrees with?

This is the same thing the lawsuit was brought over in the first place. A group created a movie that showed Hillary in a negative light and some wanted the government to be able to shut them down.

What could be more un-American than that?

When the Supreme Court in 2010 handed down its ruling on Citizens United v. FEC, Democrats were scandalized. Then-President Barack Obama warned it would "open the floodgates" to corporations influencing politics by diminishing restrictions on corporate speech.

But now, as Disney v. DeSantis has become an actual legal battle — with the Walt Disney Corporation suing the Florida governor for retaliating against it after CEO Bob Iger criticized DeSantis' policies — the political roles have reversed. Liberals remain scandalized (albeit for different reasons) but now seek the protections the Citizens United ruling offers.

The Supreme Court's Citizens United decision was a pain in the neck for Democrats. Now, it could be used to their advantage in the Disney v. DeSantis feud.
False equivalence.....Do you have a right to special privileges,which are extended to you by The State?

You can’t reasonably argue that the cessation of special treatment - now being treated like every other business in the state - is retributory discrimination. You’d be arguing that the default is a punishment.

Disney played a stupid game and won its stupid prize.

Which does absolutely nothing to support your hyperbole. Fail.
If you think that a Republican politician contriving a petty, vindictive feud against corporate America when it exercises its constitutionally-guaranteed free speech serves that politician's ambitions, that is your prerogative.
After Disney spoke out against the "Don't say gay" law, DeSantis said the company had “crossed the line” and pledged to “fight back” — comments cited by Disney in its lawsuit to back up its argument that the governor and his allies were seeking to retaliate against the company for exercising its constitutionally protected speech.

The law that was overturned allowed the government to shut a person or a business down from having a say in politics.

How do you defend that?
what right does a business have in politics exactly?

You can’t reasonably argue that the cessation of special treatment - now being treated like every other business in the state - is retributory discrimination. You’d be arguing that the default is a punishment.

Disney played a stupid game and won its stupid prize.

There are more than 100 other businesses in the state with the same Special District designation, why are none of them being targeted.

Not to mention, both DeSantis and some of the Repubs in the Florida congress have said publicly they are doing this due to Disney's actions in regards to their new law

isn't that what disney did by making it wrong to use the word gay? Really? That's your argument? okay for me but not for thee? You fkers can't help yourselves. LOL

I have no idea what you are ranting about. Disney can't make it wrong to use the word gay.

Nonsense.

The NRA is a business. Are you saying that people have a right to address the government to curtail their business but they have no right to counter those arguments?

Planned Parenthood is a business. People have a right to address the government to curtail their business but they have no right to counter those arguments?

(I use these two as they were a part of the lawsuit)

Forum List

Back