Cia director david petraeus submits letter of resignation

wtf??

this stinks to high heaven....who gives a shit? plus he works for a re-elected Dem president, they don't give a crap about adultery, gay prostitution etc. they are the let it all hang out party...( well, unless its a rep.)...so what gives?

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair
By Andrea Mitchell and Robert Windrem, NBC News

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair he had.

Multiple sources tell NBC News that Mike Morrell, the deputy CIA director and a longtime CIA officer, would likely be offered the job as acting director but with the understanding that he may be elevated to the job permanently at some point.

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair - U.S. News

Really? Seriously?

The CIA is different animal.

It's not just that he had an affair, the woman that he had an affair with may have had access to his private (and classified) email accounts.

There's probably alot more to this..

Officials told The Associated Press that information about the affair surfaced over the course of an FBI probe. Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told NBC News that the FBI is currently investigating Petraeus' biographer, who had extensive access to the general, for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information. The sources emphasized that Petraeus was not under investigation and added that they did not believe the investigation into author Paula Broadwell would result in criminal charges.
CIA Director Petraeus Resigns, Cites Extramarital Affair | NBC New York

Along with this..I've heard he wasn't well liked in the spook community.

Really? Seriously?

It's not just that he had an affair, the woman that he had an affair with may have had access to his private (and classified) email accounts.

And it was so important that even though they've known about it for months, and he feels so obligated to resign, he and they still waited until the election was over and he was about to get on the stand to answer questions that have been avoided answering for over a month.

Yeah, i bet there is ALOT more to this.

That's kind of worrisome. The CIA needs to remember they work for us, we don't work for them.

Like I said the CIA is a different animal. If you are with the CIA you don't get all the nice protections you do working with any other outfit. You get caught in another country, your ass is grass.

There's no international laws that protect spies. That's part of the reason outting Valerie Plame was such a big deal.

If you have ever suffered the pain of marital betrayal you would never casually ask your spouse to live the pain publicly. Not even for the president. Press alerted that the story was going to break...he preempted with resignation.

If the whole of Ft Campbell already knew I seriously doubt she was in the dark about it.

Now why after all of this time did the media decide to focus on the story?

Could it be because he was about to testify under oath against the President?

That's kind of worrisome. The CIA needs to remember they work for us, we don't work for them.

Like I said the CIA is a different animal. If you are with the CIA you don't get all the nice protections you do working with any other outfit. You get caught in another country, your ass is grass.

There's no international laws that protect spies. That's part of the reason outting Valerie Plame was such a big deal.

Plame was working in an office in Washington.

She was not a field spook.

Besides.....she and her husband talked about it often in public witnesses have said.

Obama is still trying to cover his tracks.

If he'd leave it alone he wouldn't come under indictment himself........but he seems to want to continue the coverup. This will be a constant thing for the next 4 years. Corruption and coverups. Gridlock in Washington.

There is a lot of good that he could do right now. He could end the immigration issue right now while he has the GOP at a weak moment. Instead he wants to continue his war on fossil-fuels and he wants to continue his coverup in the CIA. Jobs.....forget that. He wants poverty in this country to increase. What better way to breed loyal Democrat voters.

Poverty in Blue states is why he continues to have strong support with voters. Keep em broke and stupid. Keep em broke and then get them on the public dole. Loyal Democrat votes.

That would be the same Valerie Plame whose name was deviously hidden inside "Who's Who in America". That Valerie Plame.

The one who decided that her house-husband needed something to do, so they sent him to Africa even though he had no idea what he was doing? The one who filed no written report and wrote an op-ed before the invasion saying he thought we shouldn't invade because Saddam really did have weapons and might use them?

I'm consistant on this. The CIA is an agency that is more of a danger to us than any "enemy" they protect us from if they try to subvert the political process like this. And it doesn't matter if it's Bush or Obama.

Me either...Waiting for someone to 'splain that one.

He would be giving testimony in his capacity as CIA director. If he's not CIA director he can't testify in that capacity. Although Dianne Feinstein just said that she was going to find a way to make him testify anyway.
Betcha dollar to a dog turd someone gets to her pronto.

As of 5:00 yesterday, she took his name off the witness list. So someone did get to her pronto.

This is so blatant, Jake Clapper might be driven to suicide before he has to testify, or maybe a sudden heart attack.

breaking , no links yet.......

Benghazi casualty? :eusa_think:

if anyone has another idea for a more appropriate forum for this sound off, I am not sure were it should go...*shrugs*

no... casualty of his own open zipper...

from his resignation letter:

November 2012
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation's Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

i know there will be mourning in rightwingnuthackworld because he didn't resign because of "behghazi".

did bush's CIA director resign because the US got attacked on bush's watch?

he did resign because of benghazi, that letter about "an affair" is just another in a long line of cover ups.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would besmearch his own personal reputation to "cover up" for Obama.

I suppose it's possible but it seems a stretch. Further info is needed.

wtf??

this stinks to high heaven....who gives a shit? plus he works for a re-elected Dem president, they don't give a crap about adultery, gay prostitution etc. they are the let it all hang out party...( well, unless its a rep.)...so what gives?

CIA Director David Petraeus resigns, cites extramarital affair
By Andrea Mitchell and Robert Windrem, NBC News

CIA Director David Petraeus resigned Friday, citing an extramarital affair he had.

Multiple sources tell NBC News that Mike Morrell, the deputy CIA director and a longtime CIA officer, would likely be offered the job as acting director but with the understanding that he may be elevated to the job permanently at some point.

Really? Seriously?

Officials told The Associated Press that information about the affair surfaced over the course of an FBI probe. Meanwhile, law enforcement sources told NBC News that the FBI is currently investigating Petraeus' biographer, who had extensive access to the general, for improperly trying to access his email and possibly gaining access to classified information. The sources emphasized that Petraeus was not under investigation and added that they did not believe the investigation into author Paula Broadwell would result in criminal charges.
CIA Director Petraeus Resigns, Cites Extramarital Affair | NBC New York

you're on page 18, at least in my view set up, this has been addressed, I am not re posting, go read the thread, like 2-3 pages back....

It is not a crime for the CIA director as a civilian to screw some groupie on the side, but it is a crime to tell him you know about it and that he needs to say this or that regarding Libya.....to not let the story leak out. I'm guessing Petraeus decided he couldn't cover up his own sins to protect the dirtbag in the White House.

Of course screwing that author should cost him job and possibly his security clearance.

Last edited:

i know there will be mourning in rightwingnuthackworld because he didn't resign because of "behghazi".

he did resign because of benghazi, that letter about "an affair" is just another in a long line of cover ups.

He doesn't strike me as the kind of person who would besmearch his own personal reputation to "cover up" for Obama.

Anyone will besmirch their reputation if you apply the right kind of pressure in the right place.

Why did Andrew Young say he was Rielle Hunter's baby daddy? Why did he agree to pay child support? Did he have no reputation to protect?

breaking , no links yet.......

Benghazi casualty? :eusa_think:

if anyone has another idea for a more appropriate forum for this sound off, I am not sure were it should go...*shrugs*

November 2012
Yesterday afternoon, I went to the White House and asked the President to be allowed, for personal reasons, to resign from my position as D/CIA. After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation.

As I depart Langley, I want you to know that it has been the greatest of privileges to have served with you, the officers of our Nation's Silent Service, a work force that is truly exceptional in every regard. Indeed, you did extraordinary work on a host of critical missions during my time as director, and I am deeply grateful to you for that.

Everyone in Washington cheats on their wife. We're supposed to believe this guy just happened to have such a crisis of conscience that it caused him to resign from a job?

I think he wants his marriage to be over. His wife looks like his mother might, and his biographer looks attractive, and he would find much in common with her, kind of like falling for one's doctor; one whom you have told everything to and who has helped you, in some way, even if only that they cared. A 35 year marriage in which two people have lived apart for much of that time, is really, often, quite dull and over with.

imageshjk-1.jpg

How 'poor judgment' felled military star Petraeus...
:eusa_eh:
Petraeus, star on battlefield, felled at CIA by affair
9 Nov.`12 WASHINGTON (Reuters) - David Petraeus was a star on the battlefield, commanding the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, but was undone by "poor judgment" in engaging in an extramarital affair that led to his downfall as CIA director.
Just two days after his 60th birthday, Petraeus stepped down from the spy agency where he had held the top office since September 6, 2011. "After being married for over 37 years, I showed extremely poor judgment by engaging in an extramarital affair. Such behavior is unacceptable, both as a husband and as the leader of an organization such as ours. This afternoon, the President graciously accepted my resignation," Petraeus told the shadow warriors he commanded at CIA. It was a stunning downfall for a revered military man who was seen as one of the top American leaders of his generation and was once considered a potential contender for the White House.

Petraeus was credited with pulling Iraq from the brink of all-out civil war and for battlefield successes in Afghanistan after overseeing a surge of 30,000 troops ordered by President Barack Obama in late 2009. He became known for counter-insurgency strategies that were seen as gaining ground against the Taliban in Afghanistan. "I don't think he was professionally overrated. His were genuine accomplishments," said James Carafano, a war historian with the conservative Heritage Foundation think tank.

At the time of his nomination to the CIA post, some Washington insiders had said the White House wanted to find a prominent position for Petraeus to ensure he would not be recruited by Republicans as a challenger to the 2012 Obama-Biden ticket. When he was nominated to lead the CIA there were some concerns in intelligence circles that the high-profile four-star Army general might not be able to lead from the shadows as appropriate for a spy chief.

But once he took over the head office at the U.S. spy agency, Petraeus kept a decidedly low public profile. Senate Intelligence Committee Chairman Dianne Feinstein, a Democrat, expressed regret about the resignation of "one of America's best and brightest" and said it was an "enormous loss" for the country. "At CIA, Director Petraeus gave the agency leadership, stature, prestige and credibility both at home and abroad. On a personal level, I found his command of intelligence issues second to none," she said.

RESIGNATION ACCEPTED

Forum List

Back