Church urgers people to vote out Obama

El Paso Catholic church bulletin urges Obama defeat - El Paso Times

Meh, I'm not a fan, I hate when the pastor gets political. I feel like politics shouldnt be encouraged by your boss, or your priest.

The church should stay out of political matters. It shouldn't be telling its members who to vote for.

Why?

This does not make any sense. I see no reason that a church should not be active in their people’s political views nor do I see any reason for the people to follow what their pastor has to say on the subject.

Wrong

Last edited:
The church should stay out of political matters. It shouldn't be telling its members who to vote for.

Why?

This does not make any sense. I see no reason that a church should not be active in their people’s political views nor do I see any reason for the people to follow what their pastor has to say on the subject.

Wrong

Because you said so. Wow, with logic so iron clad, how can anyone challenge it….

Why?

Wrong

Because you said so. Wow, with logic so iron clad, how can anyone challenge it….

Sorry FA,like you it's just my opinion,I just feel that what has a Pastors personal opinion to do with individuals personal thought..........anyway what is his reasoning or predudice regarding him,"advising" his flock.

This pastor has not been democratially elected by the whole nation,has he........in fact I would suggest Catholics make up no more than 20% of the American population.steve

Last edited:

Sorry FA,like you it's just my opinion,I just feel that what has a Pastors personal opinion to do with individuals personal thought..........anyway what is his reasoning or predudice regarding him,"advising" his flock.

This pastor has not been democratially elected by the whole nation,has he........in fact I would suggest Catholics make up no more than 10% of the American population.steve

See, now that’s better is it not. A solid reason behind the ‘you’re wrong,’ not just the flat statement :D

Now, here is my reasoning:
I think I view church a little different than most people maybe because of my involvement in a few very small and denomination free churches when I was young but I see a church as a gathering of people for a commonality. In this case, that common purpose is faith but I don’t see the difference between this and a basic club (like chess, sports or books) Church itself tends to be more serious only because faith is such a central part of what people are but it is still the same basic concept. The community accepts the leader of the group and if the community does not want politics in the discussion then they will dictate it not be there. If they feel that it should be approached, then it will be.

In other words, it is the people that form the church that give the pastor the clear to discuss politics and I have no problem with that. In the same manner, the people will determine if they do not want the pastor going there. If they are in disagreement with the pastor they are capable of going somewhere else or replacing the pastor entirely. The situation becomes slightly more complex when you are engaging larger churches but the individual principals remain the same.

I find the notion that pastors be apolitical as strange as requiring the lead at a privet club be apolitical. Let the people decide who and what they want to experience within their local groups.

This pastor has not been democratially elected by the whole nation,has he........in fact I would suggest Catholics make up no more than 10% of the American population.steve

See, now that’s better is it not. A solid reason behind the ‘you’re wrong,’ not just the flat statement :D

Now, here is my reasoning:
I think I view church a little different than most people maybe because of my involvement in a few very small and denomination free churches when I was young but I see a church as a gathering of people for a commonality. In this case, that common purpose is faith but I don’t see the difference between this and a basic club (like chess, sports or books) Church itself tends to be more serious only because faith is such a central part of what people are but it is still the same basic concept. The community accepts the leader of the group and if the community does not want politics in the discussion then they will dictate it not be there. If they feel that it should be approached, then it will be.

In other words, it is the people that form the church that give the pastor the clear to discuss politics and I have no problem with that. In the same manner, the people will determine if they do not want the pastor going there. If they are in disagreement with the pastor they are capable of going somewhere else or replacing the pastor entirely. The situation becomes slightly more complex when you are engaging larger churches but the individual principals remain the same.

I find the notion that pastors be apolitical as strange as requiring the lead at a privet club be apolitical. Let the people decide who and what they want to experience within their local groups.

Thanks,yep I understand where you are at.............but cannot agree.steve

Time to revoke their tax exemption! They crossed the line by breaking the law that defines the rules for their exemption, so now they better cough up for getting involved in politics.

Time to revoke their tax exemption! They crossed the line by breaking the law that defines the rules for their exemption, so now they better cough up for getting involved in politics.

That could exempt all charities. Since pols use many of them.

Well, just take the exemption away from those who do break the rule.
Indiscriminate justice is good.

That could exempt all charities. Since pols use many of them.

What law are rule are you talking about?

Were you this upset when Rev Wright openly stumped for Obama?

What law are rule are you talking about?

Were you this upset when Rev Wright openly stumped for Obama?

I don't think I was even aware of that. I am 19, you know. :/

Ok, now you know he was highly involved.

Are you upset?

and

What rule or law are you talking about?

Forum List

Back